Current Page: 3 of 19
Meade Ministries
Posted by: BaronSteve ()
Date: June 01, 2006 02:03PM

Kid A, I like your name. Radiohead is my favorite band.

Anyway, somebody asked:

The head guy must be getting pretty old by now. Who is taking over his position?

I had always heard that Gary Cooke was pretty close to the top, but he died in a car accident a while ago. I guess he lost his faith. Now it seems that the number two guy is a big-time realtor in the area, but I forget his name. At least I think it's a realtor. It's been a while since I heard this, and I can't remember where my sources are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Meade Ministries
Posted by: IMASurvivor ()
Date: June 16, 2007 11:10AM

I have a brother in the group, Jeff Ganskop as well as his wife Linda and his children. I last saw him in 1995. My mom last talked to him before her surgery back in 2000. At the time it sounded like he was doing well and seemed to be nonjudgemental with my mom. I know that he is a roofing contracter down there, not otherwise not much if an idea how he has been doing. I was kind of under the impression that the group had just grown old and had slowed down a bit. After reading many of the newspaper articles and posts I realize that is not the case. Many of the articles have gone back to 90 or so, does anyone have any info about how it has been lately?
I remember going to the Cooks and the Handy's house when I was a kid in Sioux Falls. I had great fear even as a kid from the group, mostly from my dad. He made me promise never to get involved in the group and I am quite appreciative of that. When my dad died in 94, I was able to reach Jeff to tell him that Dad was sick, Jeff pretty much said it was because if his sins. When he died Jeff didn't come to the funeral, pretty much what we expected. Jeff did not take the inheritance either, I was a little surprised at that.

Meade Ministries
Posted by: wishrae ()
Date: September 11, 2007 11:48AM

[[color=violet]color=violet]Hey,I am another member of the Meade Ministries that left, I was in it from the time I was born, until I turned 18. I left for alot of reasons, which I will get into later if anyone is interested.....My whole family is still there, and has not spoken a word to me since I left[/color:74281bb593][/color:74281bb593]The people there are just as messed up as the rest of the world even though they claim they are perfect...I could tell alot of different horror stories..I have kept quiet along time..mainly outta fear..but I think its time to talk, so if anyone wants to know anything let me know..

Re: Meade Ministries
Posted by: Kelly123 ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:37PM

I have a friend that just joined this group, just wondering what it is all about. If anyone has information please let me know.
thanks!

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 23, 2007 08:30PM

Posted by: SwampHoss ()
Date: January 26, 2008 01:10AM

I live in Lake City, and live among them in the Southwood Acres area. I have been watching and studying this group for many years. I can help folks who need information on family members.

Posted by: Refugee ()
Date: March 21, 2008 11:35PM

Hello all.

Funny, I very rarely ever think of the group (has been decades since I attended a meeting), but I have recently poked around a bit. A few comments:

Jane: So very nice to see you around! Pleased about your son, sorry about your husband - I did see him a few years ago. Am terribly sorry to hear about Gay - I had no idea. What a kind person she was.

BaronSteve: Charlie Sparks is the name you're looking for. He is the son in law to Marlene Meade (the effective boss), and he is most definitely the heir. Gary was demoted to #2 even before he died. The old ministers - Shaheen, Cady, Carrender, Linton, etc. - have been on the sidelines for a long time. It's a family thing now.

wishrae: No clue who you are, but chances are that I knew your folks. Hope you're OK. Very sorry about loss of contact with your entire family. That's pretty sick. Am interested in what you have to say, but only if you're ready to talk about it. Do what's best for you - my curiosity can wait.

SwampHoss: Thanks. Am mostly just interested in knowing about old friends – I fear that time has not been good to them, to put it gently. (Very sad.) Have heard reports of the death of many old friends and I fear more. Also that the money-obsession has gone to barely-imaginable lengths. (And I'm a proud free-market capitalist!)

Best regards all around.

Date: June 04, 2008 10:53PM

Refugee,

I can tell you this: the entire cult is all about money now. They need it, and frankly, only a small portion of the members are making it. I can't see the current pattern sustaining itself. There are the few heavy hitters who make a lot of money, and the rest are hemorrhaging it, if you'll pardon the term. Many of the construction companies are in severe financial problems, as are all construction companies. The real estate collapse hasn't been kind to them either, as it has been that way nationwide. The trend of Sparks/Stewart building office complexes without having tenants lined up is showing it's flaw, as several complexes are built, brand new, with empty offices and retail space. Folks in this area can not afford $1500-$2000 per month rent. Model homes that are built by the End Timer contractors are sitting in subdivisions empty, as folks aren't buying expensive homes these days. I heard through a friend in construction that there are as many as 100 homes or more sitting vacant, waiting on a buyer.

Several of the businesses are late on bills, and I have heard rumors that a few are pondering bankruptcy.

I recently spoke with a former member who got out because he recognized that it was, in fact, all about the money. A "meticulously and perfectly organized pyramid scheme, preying on the needs of many seeking to find peace through spiritual enlightenment". It's a shame, really. I am friends with an older couple who give everything they have, and drive a bucket for a vehicle that is falling apart, and live in filthy conditions. If the congregation practiced what it preached, all people would be taken care of equally. But, then again, that is also a characteristic of Marxism -- from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

If you wish to furnish me with names, I can update you on their status with what I know. Feel free to email or private message, if discretion is paramount.

Regards...

Date: June 05, 2008 04:07AM

I am not scared of them, and none of the "good ol' boys" around here are. I have been in several altercations with them. In fact, I welcome any confrontation with any of them. Many of them think the rules and laws do not apply to them. I am happy to let them know that they do apply to them.

Posted by: Refugee ()
Date: June 18, 2008 09:39AM

Hi SH,

A few comments:

Money: That's really sick. The weird thing about it is that this is *exactly* the thing Meade and the original ministers condemned (vehemently) in the old days. That the rank-and-file can sit there every week, knowing that all the rules changed and that no one ever explained... well, it makes them guilty to some degree. I wonder how many of them have any self-honesty left.

And then, what happens when they have nothing left to give? Are they condemned as "weak" and tossed aside?

One of the sickest things that has happened (and I saw the beginnings of it) is a class system. Either you're in the A group or the B group, or in the balcony. A less Christ-like structure is hard to imagine.

Also, you wrote:

If the congregation practiced what it preached, all people would be taken care of equally. But, then again, that is also a characteristic of Marxism -- from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Not really. The "Christian" way of doing it is voluntarily. The Marxist way of doing it is by force. Huge difference.

I'll PM you on specific folks. Don't want to embarrass anyone.

Not being scared: Yeah, I hear that some of them act like bullies, and bullies need to be faced. Please be careful not to create trouble, or to go beyond reasonable levels in anything, but I think you are right to tell them where to get off. They can play their stupid games on their own property, but not on anyone else's.

Best regards

Current Page: 3 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.