Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Were the rumors about the Walk true or persecution from cult hunters?
Posted by: been_there2 ()
Date: March 03, 2016 03:24AM

I remember John Robert Stevens as a kind and loving man, who deeply cared about the people in his church. I came in as a little girl in the early 60's when him and Harold Williams were at the Reseda women club. I always felt that he cared about me specifically and my family. When he died, all that died with him. I know he was a fallible man, but I feel his heart was Right. Just reading "To be a Christian" should take away doubt about his motives. He was duped in the end with Marilyn because her motives are very questionable. I never cared for her. But I knew it was wrong when she married Gary and then they started getting into Depak Chopra and Steven Covey. They were always on a tangent. The love that I knew was gone. I've been married twice in the walk, One still goes there, I guess its part of his identity since he's been there as a young boy also. I'm just happy to be free of it for good. I still have 2 family members there. I feel that if John were still here he would be kicking a lot of asses. At least I would hope that to be true.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: March 18, 2016 12:22AM

Thanks for the post, that makes me feel good. I have mixed feeling about John Robert Stevens. I do think all in all, he was a pretty good pastor. that's it though, I do not think he was supposed to be any door opener to resurection life or whatever of all that. I think he got the big head from all the willing worshipers, like any man would. But I do also agree that with you that he was a man that did love the people and want to be of help. I have learned he NEVER made the huge money that the evil thing he married and her Judas husband made.

So he was like anybody else, he was a hell of a charismatic type character, he could twist the scriptures like the best of them. I wish him well. As far as the evil Jezebel he married, well, I'll just keep my feelings to myself.

been_there2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember John Robert Stevens as a kind and
> loving man, who deeply cared about the people in
> his church. I came in as a little girl in the
> early 60's when him and Harold Williams were at
> the Reseda women club. I always felt that he cared
> about me specifically and my family. When he
> died, all that died with him. I know he was a
> fallible man, but I feel his heart was Right.
> Just reading "To be a Christian" should take away
> doubt about his motives. He was duped in the end
> with Marilyn because her motives are very
> questionable. I never cared for her. But I knew
> it was wrong when she married Gary and then they
> started getting into Depak Chopra and Steven
> Covey. They were always on a tangent. The love
> that I knew was gone. I've been married twice in
> the walk, One still goes there, I guess its part
> of his identity since he's been there as a young
> boy also. I'm just happy to be free of it for
> good. I still have 2 family members there. I feel
> that if John were still here he would be kicking a
> lot of asses. At least I would hope that to be
> true.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: March 30, 2016 12:46PM

I know that we focus mostly on the Living Word Fellowship, that is the church that we know turned bad at some point. But I am considering taking a different approach as I look at the Walk and as well as lots of churches that are not listed in these forums, that really should be. This is a principle of Jesus Christ that happens to be recorded in the book that some have decided that is not valid. I personally believe that they should reconsider that and read it again, deliberately and prayerfully having the Holy Spirit re-focus their minds so that the parts that were amplified and twisted way out or proportion to their importance in the their Walk experiences are considered in context to their intended meaning.

All authority was given to Jesus to be the judge, Jesus said it Himself, that the Father judges no-one, Judgment was given to the Son. The Walk was all about JUDGEMENT, judge this, judge that, but JESUS at this point in time is not judging anybody. Read the BOOK, Jesus is sitting at the right Hand of the Father making intercession for us. And by US, that is ALL of US, even Hargrave. Jesus will judge, be we will never have that right. We should be doing as Jesus is doing, and I repent and apologize where I have judged, it is not my job, that job belongs to Jesus, and right now, He is praying for us, He does not want to judge or dam anybody……..

Posted by: Sagehen ()
Date: November 14, 2016 06:17AM

Since reading the posts here somethings have come to mind that I have not thought about for years.When we first began in the LW I remember my late husband mention that it was believed in the group teachings that a person could be saved simply by the "laying on of hands", that is likely why there were so many of the young ones taking positions of leadership showed no fruit of the Spirit.
We were both saved just a few years earlier but most of our church experience was a little, Assembly of God but basically Baptist where we we under an excellent pastoral team for about 6 years. We moved to the CA desert in Needles and there a group of us started meeting together from several churches seeking to become Spirit filled. That was in '65-1972 when job opportunity brought my family to K Falls where we very soon visited a LW church in Terrebone Gordon Shaw was pastor and RD and Glen Oswald were some of the ones along with Forbes's that ministered to or group, about 6 families.
We were both avid readers and had a very good library of books from Word Book Club at the time and other books we bought at Christian book stores. We too had never heard teaching about Latter Rain, only what Mumford and Prince were teaching about church order. We too were drawn in because of the close fellowship taught, and the worship. It has been the closeness with the members that I have had the hardest time getting past. I have really missed the people we knew back then. We were just like a family to on another. That of course would change when some of us were sent to WY that was in '75.
We were told to not read other books, get ride of what we had, records too since they were not good.we were made to feel really silly if we even mentioned another source. This came from Shaw not what we heard on tapes so we thought it was just Shaw.
I have copy and pasted this here from the other thread so that I can tell what my experiences were with the LW from 1972-1979 when we left. We spent a month with John in CA, spring, May I believe in '79.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.