Landmark Education Infiltrates Minds & Workplaces
Posted by: Celina ()
Date: September 03, 2003 08:21PM

:mad: Coercive pursuasion & undue influence is, by definition, any improper or wrongful constraint, machination, or urgency of persuasion, by which one's will is overcome and she or he is induced to do or forbear an act which he would not do, or would do, if left to act freely.

This is precisely what I have recently experienced in the workplace. I was coerced and pressured to participate in the Landmark Forum because the employer(s) were besotted Landmark devotees, who religiously gave their time and money to these deplorable mind damaging & money sapping maggots. Being indoctinated by this manipulative and dangerous Landmark "philosophy" at any time is bad enough - but how much worse is it when your employer forces it down your neck during your working hours? Every conversation, every aspect of correspondence and communication - everything - was riddled with, and smacked of regurgitated Landmark loaded language, in an attempt to recruit and capture another vulnerable individual.

It [i:2f36646906]appears[/i:2f36646906] that this workplace is actually in existence to recruit more Landmark participants. On occassions, I have caught the employer printing out his latest "recruitment progress statistics" ready to present to his Landmark leader. This sickens me. What sickens me more is the fact that this male employer seeks to prey on young impressionable women i.e. 18 - 23 years old, who are still studying at University or who have recently graduated. And while this employer sinks thousands of dollars into Landmark courses, he does not pay his staff - and when he does, it is only after a long a rigorous battle. Using Landmark jargon, he forces his staff to justify their need for their income (i.e. humiliation, which is promoted by LM), which by this time, is 5 weeks in arrears.

I am absolutely certain that this workplace is not the only one to be tainted with Landmark 'technology'. And I am certain that I am not the only victim of such a workplace, and not the only one to have observed & experienced the thinly veiled attempts at manipulation, humiliation and psychological abuse.

Such workplaces should be barred & obliterated. No body should have to endure this cult-like work environment and be forced to change jobs, and even career paths, as a consequence.

The website of this small Australian company can be viewed at:

[www.harvest.net.au]

They even include a link to Landmark Education is included under "links" - - they quite often recruit clients to participate in Landmark. Feel free to email the "Managing Director" with your thoughts on Landmark and its (and his) exploitative ways.

We may not be able to vanquish the parasitic Landmark empire itself... But we can definitely persecute the lowlife perpetuators of this dispicable cult.

If there is indeed a Hell, its fires await parasites and perpetuators of Landmark who benefit from others' misery.

Celina.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wolfy ()
Date: September 07, 2003 04:34PM

No employee should feel pressure to do something they don't want to - so if you feel pressured, rather than complain about it here, you should talk to the people who can do something about it - your employers.

I checked out the website and their philosophy seems pretty cool to me - but then I feel that Landmark has been of a benefit to me personally so I am in-line with their 'can do' philosophy.

The fact that Landmark is mentioned openly on the homepage and the company state quite openly that they feel there is a benefit for employees (and thus the company) in doing it, would lead me to deduce that this is not some kind of surprise they sprang on you. If it was, perhaps you could let them know.

If it's good enough for Reebok, the US Navy, Lockheed Martin, BHP Mining and Copper, Mercedes et al, it's probably good enough for your company.

Is it what landmark teaches that you're against, or the fact you feel pressured by your boss? Do you get a choice about whether you do the course or not, or is it compulsory?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 07, 2003 09:06PM

Companies that have offered Landmark courses to their employees have often come under severe criticism and at times have been sued.

Employees often don't appreciate having a philosophy imposed upon them within a course format through the workplace.

Obviously, each person has his or her own personal philosophy and/or religion, which is a private matter.

Landmark is simply the philosophy of its founder Werner Erhard. And the touted Landmark "technology" is little more than downloading that philosophy (drawn from several sources and not really original) through a mass marathon training program.

And Mass marathon training like Landmark is itself quite controversial.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Such training often includes coercive persuasion techniques.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Anyone interested in taking Landmark courses should research this privately owned for-profit company founded by Werner Erhard and now run by his brother, quite carefully before becoming involved.

Landmark, previously known as EST, has a deeply troubled history of bad press, complaints and repeated lawsuits for personal injury.

See the following sections within the Institute database.

[www.culteducation.com]
[www.culteducation.com]
[www.culteducation.com]

Constant complaints come in to The Ross Institute about Landmark and its programs from families, participants and concerned individuals.

There is no sceintific peer-reviewed and published study, which demonstrates that Landmark has any lasting benefits.

The benefits claimed by Landmark devotees are subjective and/or based upon anecdotal stories and testimonials. They do not represent scientific research.

Based upon its troubled history, constant complaints, lawsuits for personal injuries I would not recommend Landmark to anyone under any circumstances.

Obviously there are much safer less controversial alternatives.

There are college level classes focused upon self-improvement and support groups sponsored through nonprofit community centers, social service agencies, churches etc.

For personal problems and issues, there are licensed mental health professionals that provide counseling one-on-one and/or in group sessions.

Unlike Landmark session leaders these professionals are accountable to State licensing boards, professional associations and typically possess relevant educational credentials and certification.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.