est/Landmark/Pachamama/Awakening The Dreamer: Here they come again!
Posted by: h_r ()
Date: March 25, 2011 05:05AM

Hi everyone,
It's been a few years since I've been on the forum. What brings me back is this:
Some of the est founding people, who turned into the Landmark people, have now become the Pachamama people and the Awakening the Dreamer people. I'll leave you to google those organizations.

Instead of trying to make money from "personal transformation," they're now trying to make money from "planetary transformation." And the same people at the helm (anyone remember the Hunger Project that never actually fed anyone?). Awakening the Dreamer is trying to go more mainstream, but with the same M.O.: free labor from starry-eyed "graduates" who give "symposiums." ATD is an offshoot of the Pachamama Alliance, which claims to have been contacted by a remote jungle tribe, the Achuar, so that we can all save the earth. How? Well, you know, just be aware. And travel on a pricey Pachamama trip down to the rainforest, where you too can take an hallucinogenic drug with an actual shaman.

Pachamama has convinced Weiden and Kennedy, a reputable advertising firm, to take them on pro bono. Pachamama and ATD are both registered as 501(c)3 nonprofits in the US. Word to the wise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: est/Landmark/Pachamama/Awakening The Dreamer: Here they come again!
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 27, 2011 10:04PM

And travel on a pricey Pachamama trip down to the rainforest, where you too can take an hallucinogenic drug with an actual shaman.

Just in case the drug is ayahuasca, here is some information about it.

Dear Xythos, what you say about ayahuasca is scary. A rather fragile friend said she wanted to go to Peru and do it and I did some background research and was alarmed.

If my sources are accurate, ayahuasca is powerful stuff.

1) It interacts with most and perhaps all antidepressants and psychotropic drugs because one of the herbs used in the ayahuasca preparation is, pharmacologically a Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitor, which also interacts with common food items that contain tyramine, such as fermented products, red wine, figs, chocolate, blue cheese and red wine.

So anyone taking (say) an antidepressant would have to wean themselves completely before taking ayahuasca otherwise they could risk a catastrophic rise in blood pressure and other problems--a bad deal if you're in the jungle.

2) Ayahuasca makes people vomit and purge, so its physically stressful. Persons in fragile health are well advised to avoid this.

3) If ego structure is fragile the ensuing trip might be way too much to handle.

John Horgan, in his book, Rational Mysticism, has description of an ayahuasca trip he took with some people. At the end, the guide said it was a quiet night...no one had any freakouts thinking they were going crazy or dying.

And...Horgan arranged to do this in the US, in California, not in a foreign country, in a jungle, thousands of miles from home.

And given what xythos said about some persons risking dependency on Ayahuasca, I think Horgan mentioned that a couple of the people he tripped with reported they had become fond of taking the stuff. Once was not enough.

Given that the profit motive is strong, what are the odds that persons into Ayahuasca tourism would have the knowledge and incentive to quiz people about their health and drug histories and know which persons to advise against it?

To say, "You are not at this time in any condition to take a trip to South America and do ayahuasca" would mean turning down a couple thousand bucks.

How many of us are ethical enough to do that...?

[forum.culteducation.com]

Further discussion concerning Ayahuasca and ethical concerns here.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:05AM

h_r
Hi everyone,
It's been a few years since I've been on the forum. What brings me back is this:
Some of the est founding people, who turned into the Landmark people, have now become the Pachamama people and the Awakening the Dreamer people. I'll leave you to google those organizations.

can you provide some more information or details? it sounds awfully vague. what particular people, for instance.

Posted by: h_r ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:38AM

Lynne Twist, Mary Earle Chase, Neal Rogin, to name three.

Date: April 26, 2011 09:43PM

[www.google.com]

About Neal Rogin - The Awakening UniverseThis beautiful and inspiring film takes you on the ultimate journey, from the
very birth of the Universe, through the arising of Galaxies, the formation of
[www.awakeninguniverse.com] - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

YouTube - Neal Rogin On How He Eliminated Fear Of Public SpeakingOct 31, 2006 ... [www.undoityourself.com] Neal Rogin describes how The Lefkoe Method
eliminated his fear of public speaking.
[www.youtube.com] - 107k - Cached - Similar pages

“The Awakening Universe” with writer-director Neal Rogin ...The Awakening Universe” with writer-director Neal Rogin on Spirit of Film:
Conversations | VoiceAmerica™ - The Leader in Internet Media.
[www.voiceamerica.com] - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

VIRATO LIVE! 2009She has been a faculty member of both Kripalu and the Esalen Institute, .....
Virato chats with Neal Rogin, a multi-award winning writer and filmmaker whose
[www.newfrontier.com] - 1007k - Cached - Similar pages

upcoming events and performances :: drew dellingerWorkshop with Drew Dellinger at Esalen Institute, July 9-11, 2010 ... "The
Awakening Universe" by Neal Rogin, co-written by Drew Dellinger, ...
[drewdellinger.org] - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

Awe to ActionHe has taught courses at CIIS, Esalen, and the New York Open Center, .... NEAL
ROGIN is an award winning writer, author and social observer whose work has ...
[csp.org] - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

Evolutionary Life Newsletter: Dec 2006Nov 21, 2006 ... The Awakening Universe - directed by Neal Rogin; written by Neal Rogin .... OF
CREATIVITY with biologist Ursula Goodenough, Esalen, Big Sur, ...
[www.co-intelligence.org] - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

Recent Events... winning filmmaker Neal Rogin www.awakeninguniverse.com/about_neal.html.
..... This popular workshop has been presented through the years at Esalen, ...
[www.brianoleary.info] - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Date: April 26, 2011 09:51PM

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: April 28, 2011 12:16PM

Here's a clip from the "The Awakening Universe": [dotsub.com]

Posted by: 1bravewoman ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:36AM

The Awakening the Dreamer symposium has been presented to myself and the staff in my office as a "must do".
Someone of us have serious concerns about Lynn Twist and all she represents in the world of flimflammary. I am old enough to remember EST and all that nonsense however, some staff are much younger and do not have any knowledge of the history of EST - Landmark - Hunger Project. Educating them is tricky - becomes a clandestine operation - another marker indicating the questionable nature of the symposium. Are we unable to discuss its merits openly exploring all the facts and information? Really making my skin crawl!

Is the Patchamama Alliance dangerous? I notice there have been more posts in the last few months on this topic.

It seems apparent to me that those who support Lynn Twist and this particular manifestation of the 'program' have agendas of their own in terms of what they may stand to gain by attaching themselves to her. As an individual with an aversion of indoctrination of any kind, I continue to have concerns about the proliferation of this kind of 'mind control'. It is impossible to argue with anyone who takes Patchamama Alliance seriously since, of course, aren't they doing good in the world???

I look forward to comments.

Date: June 27, 2011 05:13AM

Dear 1brave:

Consult the employee protection laws for your state. Find out the legal/filing deadline for submitting complaints and do NOT allow anyone to delay your filing a complaint.

These entities often require people to sign away their rights to sue or mediate for damages in case they are harmed. (release of liability)

and

This is sheer hypocrisy as they tell you to take responsibility for making your own reality, but they refuse to take responsiblity for the powerful methods they use. No licensed physician or therapist requires patients or clients to sign that kind of paperwork.

There was a similar situation in California that made the news. Some media exposure along with filing a complaint may be a nice strategy to employ.

And this woman wrote about pressure put on her husband by his Landmark Education loving boss. (Landmark is the current incarnation of EST)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.