Current Page: 21 of 38
Re: Byron Katie(The Work) black-hole vortex of mental QUICKSAND
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 02, 2008 06:39AM

Hii jj,
just to be clear, I was not actually talking about any of the Responses written so far, just throwing an idea into the mix.
Of course I am not saying for a person to do anything, or not do it, etc. I actually do believe in Free Thought and Free Minds! and I mean it!
:-)
Unlike the cults believe, disagreeing, assertiveness and skepticism, etc is GOOD! Its very very healthy.

I should have been more clear...if anything that comment is more from cognitive therapy, where they do specifically say to try to NOT just flip thoughts and beliefs around...like...

I hate myself --> I love myself.
I feel like a failure ---> I am the Greatest!
They make the point that is just taking an extreme negative thought, into an extreme positive...they are both overgeneralized.
When one studies cognitive therapy, and even general semantics, philosophy, cognitive science, etc, you see how OUTRAGEOUS and false, and damaging the BK process is.
So that's all I was saying, big subject...

The books by Dr. David Burns seem to me to be an IDEAL antidote to the BK programmed brainwashing. I do think that could work quite well.

The Responding and Disputing so far is utterly fantastic, from what I can see.
But at some point, that BK Turnaround system has to be taken apart, and falsified, and eliminated.

It truly is a diabolical process, like a black-hole vortex of STICKY SLIPPERY QUICKSAND for the mind...and I do not believe that is hyperbole at all.

The BK thought-reform system is a black-hole vortex of STICKY SLIPPERY QUICKSAND for the mind and entire soul and Being.

jj52
The Anticult
Lets be aware of NOT just doing a Turnaround to the Turnaround. That is what BK teaches, its a mind-trap.
Instead, lets use fact and evidence-based Critical Thinking and analysis to Dispute the false claims being made, like the Carl Sagan Baloney Detection Kit, and other strategies, that are about carefully gathering evidence, proper logic and reason, etc.
I think that is the best way to defeat the Byron Katie Turnaround thought-reform system.

Anticult,

I understand what you are saying. At the same time, there are moments when the only way I can keep out their mind-warps is to recognize it for what it is... backwards. In BK-land, everything gets turned around backwards, and sometimes... I've got to turnaround the turnarounds so that I can see things forwards, again.

If I were actually talking to the person, I would try very hard not to do this. I wouldn't want to reinforce the trap they're caught in. Since I'm not talking to them, and doing this for my benefit...

And, I need to unravel it. I gotta' untangle this stuff in my own mind.

-jj

Options: ReplyQuote
Byron Katie, What Is Love? Love Is A Murderer - Carol Skolnick
Date: March 02, 2008 08:16AM

helpme2times
11. Being invited to criticize Katie and The School, and those who did were silently, subtly shunned by the group and Katie.
Shunned? Not me, and I'm no sychophant. I speak my mind. There was no "penalty" for doing so. In fact, I noticed that peoples' suggestions were implemented, more often than not.

What about attendees who aren't so secure within themselves? Byron Katie's organization sure seems to target vulnerable, suffering people.

That post by helpme2times is a very important post, maybe the most important.

Who made that post at the Guruphiliac? One could speculate its one of two names who post on that blog soft-peddling BK.

Notice the responses? Me Me Me.
People who rise to the top of these cultish groups, are often strong-willed, and that is why they are CHOSEN, yes groomed and chosen by the Leader like Byron Katie, and then assigned to various tasks, Overt and Covert...internet, IT, marketing, PR, media, etc.

Byron Katie 100% TARGETS people who are not only vulnerable, but desperate, depressed, and in dire-straights. That is her market.

Notice how that BK person does not show ANY emapthy for more vulnerable people, who are too-trusting, maybe "too nice" as they say, and "too loving" and eager for approval?
How about some folks who are love-starved? They are seduced by a Love-Bomb.
How about those who are mentally ill? We see in the article about Rochelle Laudenslager, Byron Katies ideas on that.

So there are 2 main types of people in these groups.
There are the people who get used, exploited, etc. We all feel for them, some of them are the nicest people on earth...TOO NICE, they get used and abused, and never say a peep, and blame themselves.

Then there are the people who rise to the top of the group. These folks are often narcissists as well. Me Me Me Me. Its all about them. These groups like BK always have some folks near the top, who make some money, and who are the Recruiters and facilitators, like the Landmark Forum Leaders.
But of course, they are also subservient to the Leader, subject to ejection at any moment. But she has to have some Generals to manage the troops.

They move from victim to victimizer, sometimes these people become far more bizarre and cruel than the Guru. They can become the hatchet-women, even if they have silver-tongues.

(This gets a bit intense, maybe you guys can help me think this through?)

Why would a senior facilitator of The Work write a highly manipulative piece to define Love called "WHAT IS LOVE?" about Valentines day, that starts off sweet and sounding "normal", and then hypnotically builds into The Work, and then into the horrendous destructive belief and thought..

"Love is a murderer. If Love wanted to call me home, to consume me, wouldn't it come fiercely, an irresistible force that completely unravels me? Bring it on."
[soulsurgery.blogspot.com]

I hope people can see the process. Start in regular conversation, slide into The Work, and then move into The Work core beliefs. "Love Is A Murderer", is a core belief, one of the most terrible one could ever conceive. It might be close to one of the most destructive core beliefs one could ever think of.

Core beliefs are engineered into people in Thought Reform. Its all about CHANGING PEOPLES CORE BELIEFS.

Does Byron Katie promote and preach that destructive core belief to her people?
Who are they in love with, who does not return their love and uses, hurts and abuses them?

This is meant to draw in vulnerable people with normal talk into The Work, and then core belief modification. NLP, hypnosis, thought reform is all about installing new core beliefs.
In cognitive therapy, you try to make your core beliefs HEALTHY, and sane, and balanced.

Why in all sanity, or insanity, would they want to install the belief...LOVE IS A MURDERER?

Just spend 10 minutes if you REALLY DEEPLY believed that "Love is a Murderer - Bring it on". How might you live your life?

In the BK system, what is "Love"? Who is "Love? Byron Katie, right? Her alleged "soul".
In general, pantheists and others say...God is love...love is God...so is God a murderer? That is what is being said to and by the Unconscious, and conscious mind!

This is not hype, its really very disturbing. Love is not a murderer. What is love? Its many things, ask the poets. But Love is about bonding, empathy, kindness, trust etc. Love is not a murderer. Love can hurt, but its not a murderer.

Love can be a murderer for some, read the newspapers.

I don't want to single her out, but WHY would someone put that out there to be read, in that manipulative format? Recruitment of the lonely and severely depressed? Unconcious call for help? Decompensation? Its much more then being lonely on Valentines day...
Can anyone help me with this one?

According to cognitive psychology, a destructive core belief like that woud lead to severe depressions, hopelessness, rage, and possibly much worse.

Core beliefs are not just words, core beliefs are the foundation and core of the human psyche. There is massive evidence for that.

I think this might be the core destructive belief of the entire Byron Katie system. Its an engineered mantra with embedded core beliefs.
"Love is a murderer. If Love wanted to call me home, to consume me, wouldn't it come fiercely, an irresistible force that completely unravels me? Bring it on."

Who is the "Love" in the BK system?
Where is "home"?
Who is the irresistable force that completely UNRAVELS you?
Bring it on? you mean, let this destructive force take you over and fiercely consume you?

That actually sounds exactly like someone we are getting to know quite well.
This is some of the most destructive core belief expression, engineering, hypnosis I have personally seen expressed.
I feel its appropriate to analyze it, as its NOT a private "Dear diary" therapy entry, its constructed to lure and indoctrinate vulnerable lonely people around Valentines day.
Maybe some wounded souls are in so deep its the only way they know how to live in this world?
Or maybe they know exactly what they are doing and are in it for their own self-interests?
Or all of the above? Total indocrination, vulnerability, and self-interest?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 08:28AM by The Anticult.

Re: Byron Katie(The Work) black-hole vortex of mental QUICKSAND
Posted by: jj52 ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:24AM

The Anticult
Hii jj,
just to be clear, I was not actually talking about any of the Responses written so far, just throwing an idea into the mix.
Of course I am not saying for a person to do anything, or not do it, etc. I actually do believe in Free Thought and Free Minds! and I mean it!
Unlike the cults believe, disagreeing, assertiveness and skepticism, etc is GOOD! Its very very healthy.

I should have been more clear...if anything that comment is more from cognitive therapy, where they do specifically say to try to NOT just flip thoughts and beliefs around...like...

Anticult,

Thanks! I really needed to hear that. My head gets so messed up when I'm reading that twisty-garbage from Carol Skolnick, etc. It's so weird. I had to get away from the computer, and get some help after writing all of that.

All I have to do is just say something like "Wow, she's being manipulative" and instantly, I start wondering if I'm just projecting, or talking about myself. Am I being manipulative? Oh no! And my mind starts taking things I said or did and trying to automatically flip them around into evidence that I was being manipulative.

Although this makes absolutely no sense... how in the world was I manipulating anyone by giving my impressions of Carol?....it's what happens when I read or hear that Katie-speak. It's an automatic response, and I get really confused. When you said that, Anticult, I started thinking... "oh no, what did I do? Was I turning things around on people? Am I projecting?" Then, I could see the evidence that I was turning things they said around... and that just brought on more self doubt, and the spiral went downwards from there.

This is what you have to look forward to after The School for The Work. You can't just see reality, and call a spade a spade without the throes and woes of self doubt and self blame taking hold of your mind. And, you can't listen to a disciple of BK without losing a grip on yourself.

If I read those comments those people left... and DIDN'T write out my thoughts and responses about it... I would surely be right back in the game. All of that manipulation is designed to make you disconnect from yourself and reality, even ever so slightly... It's meant to leave you questioning your own perception. It's dirty.

So, Anticult... I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, or took it somewhere it didn't need to go. After reading Skolnick's response... wow... I wasn't exactly myself anymore.

I wonder how long I can look forward to this after-effect of The School? Ugh.

Let this be a warning to anyone considering going who should happen to read this.

-jj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 09:29AM by jj52.

Re: Byron Katie, What Is Love? Love Is A Murderer - Carol Skolnick
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:57AM

The Anticult
Why would a senior facilitator of The Work write a highly manipulative piece to define Love called "WHAT IS LOVE?" about Valentines day, that starts off sweet and sounding "normal", and then hypnotically builds into The Work, and then into the horrendous destructive belief and thought..

[soulsurgery.blogspot.com]

I hope people can see the process. Start in regular conversation, slide into The Work, and then move into The Work core beliefs. "Love Is A Murderer", is a core belief, one of the most terrible one could ever conceive. It might be close to one of the most destructive core beliefs one could ever think of.

Core beliefs are engineered into people in Thought Reform. Its all about CHANGING PEOPLES CORE BELIEFS.

Does Byron Katie promote and preach that destructive core belief to her people?
So far I've found this quote defining love as a destructive force - from Byron Katie's Question Your Thoughts, Change The World:

Once you open to love, you lose your whole world. It's over. Love leaves nothing. It's totally greedy. Our pain is in denying it. (p. 14)

Re: Byron Katie - interjecting some humor
Date: March 02, 2008 10:10AM

Having a sense of humor sure helps when trying to recover from BK's special brand of mindf&#k.

I just thought up a new name for BK.....

Byron "Piece of Work" Katie

Hee!

Re: Byron Katie, What Is Love? Love Is A Murderer - Carol Skolnick
Date: March 02, 2008 12:43PM

helpme2times
So far I've found this quote defining love as a destructive force - from Byron Katie's Question Your Thoughts, Change The World:

Once you open to love, you lose your whole world. It's over. Love leaves nothing. It's totally greedy. Our pain is in denying it. (p. 14)

There no question that Byron Katie is changing people's core beliefs. I wouldn't even know how to describe how my own core beliefs were altered through The School... but people did tell me that I was like a different person when I got back. Luckily, there were major beliefs of hers that I could not swallow...

I remember hearing Byron Katie lecture about greed once. She said that giving away a service for free is just a form of greed... so donating your time or services is really just selfishness. In this way, people are persuaded to see her charging all this money for her services, and call that selflessness, rather than greed.

So, not only is she "pure love" and therefore "greedy" because "love is greedy"... she is also completely unselfish and ungreedy because she takes your money in exchange for her services.

Is this totally backwards, or what?

In BK's world, love is not only a murderer... it's a rapist, a con-artist, an abuser... because she says there is no such thing as evil. There's a video that used to be on YouTube... don't know if it's still there now... where she talks about "evil". She says that evil doesn't exist in the world, and if it does "it's because I [BK] put it there."

So, now BK tells us she is not evil, and that would be impossible... but at the same time, she is the one responsible for any evil in the world, should it happen to exist. Something seems awfully evil about that, if you ask me.

-jj

Here, I think this is the video. I don't want to watch it... so let me know if that's not the one, please.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 12:46PM by jj52.

Re: Byron Katie - interjecting some humor
Date: March 02, 2008 12:52PM

Anticult,

"Just spend 10 minutes if you REALLY DEEPLY believed that "Love is a Murderer - Bring it on". How might you live your life?"

Well, I think I would probably feel free to go out and kill someone, like that Rochelle woman did. Especially if I loved that person, or felt deep emotion towards them that I confused with love.

And, I might have absolutely no boundaries, miss all red flags in dealing with people, hang out in dangerous places, and probably end up somewhere on a river bank hacked into pieces.

You know... I'd be in BK's "heaven".

-jj

Warning: Byron Katie - covert Core Belief re-engineering, STAY AWAY
Date: March 02, 2008 03:52PM

I think if I held that type of core belief "Love is a Murderer", I would get severely depressed. It seems to be a type of pathological core belief that could even lead to despair, and perhaps even suicide, or as mentioned, some type of violent acting out.

We all know that love can be painful, and sweep you away, and Carol Skolnick might deflect and argue its a poetic metaphor.
But that is the thing. One one hand they know how to manipulate, and on the other hand, they are utterly incompetent and even negligent about human psychology.

If one looks at legit books, like "Mind Over Mood" by Dr. Padesky, they have an entire section on core beliefs. That is what cognitive therapy is all about. Discover your core beliefs, look at them, and modify them if necessary.
If you found you had the core belief, "Love is a murderer"...you don't make it stronger. You work carefully to make it healthier, and modify it, using various methods, done RESPONSIBLY, under the guidance of a REGISTERED trained psychologist, at least to start.

What you DON'T do, is take advice from people who are NOT trained, and obviously do not know what they are talking about. Its negligence. People without training should not be working at that level...that is psychotherapy, and it can be very damaging.
Do you let any untrained guy do surgery on you, or is he going to botch it? He might kill you. Same thing.

So you DON'T flip...Love is a Murder...to...Love is eternal joy....

both of those distorted beliefs are going to mess you up.
You ultimately develop a flexible belief, that is realistic and healthy.
I don't know what that might be, but you work with it for a while...

Love is friendship...love is acceptance...love is not a feeling...love is respect...love can heal...etc.

If anyone gets a chance to read Mind Over Mood by Dr. Padesky, from the library, you will see it explained. If people could only understand healthy psychology, they would be shocked at how perverse what they are saying is. Its perverse, its wrong, its malpractice, they have no business messing around with people's Mind and Beliefs. They are not qualified.

If someone has those types of violent negative core beliefs...they should go and speak with a licensed professional. Sometimes people who were abused as children, or raped as children, develop very powerful violent core beliefs against themselves, like...I am nothing...I deserve to be hurt...love is unbearable pain...etc.

They need good professional treatment for that.
Please STAY AWAY from unlicensed plastic surgeons, and unlicensed people who want to mess with your core beliefs. They might hurt you very badly.

What if in 1986, Byron Katie attended something like The Forum, where they re-engineer your beliefs like this, and had a breakdown like quite a few people do from those LGAT's?
JJ mentioned others said she was like a different person.
After BK's break, maybe from an LGAT, her son is quoted as saying...

"It was like they dropped off a completely different person--the most innocent, sweetest child you've ever seen," Burroughs says. "There just aren't programs that produce a different person." Katie's son Ross Robinson adds, "She seemed like an alien to me."
[www.culteducation.com]
(notice both her sons last name is ROBINSON? Maybe BK went by the last name Robinson at some point?)
No disrespect to Byron Katies son, but there ARE PROGRAMS that do that, like The Forum, and many many others. What if the true story, is BK was a mess, and went to some type of LGAT mega-seminar like The Forum, then had a breakdown, came out of it deciding to do The Work? Possible.

But regardless, these untrained people have no business messing with your core beliefs.
There are new professional textbooks out now, showing how the CORE SCHEMAS, BELIEFS, might control the entire personality. You don't let untrained people mess with that, unless you want to end up in a sorry state.

But why?
Do they really believe these terrible dysfunctional beliefs due to personal issues?
Or do they want to install them in others for the power it gives them over others?
Or both?
Why intall negative beliefs in people? To make them subservient and dependent on you?
To create more suffering while claiming to end it?

LESSON: stay away from all unlicensed and untrained persons doing any type of LGAT or work likeThe Work. They can seriously harm you, as much as a poor untrained plastic surgeon can wreck your life, or end it.

Re: Byron Katie - check out this shocking news
Date: March 02, 2008 09:22PM

Due to something I read a little while ago on a Byron Katie-related message board (at Yahoo), I visited Katie's blog and there read a very startling new report.

My jaw is on the floor.

Here's a link to it: Byron Katie Blog Entry

Here's what the blog entry says...

My daughter called me to let me know how her day went yesterday. I love listening to her report her journey into the mind.

Roxann is so very into The Work, her joy, her life, and at some point she asked me what I was up to and for no reason, out of my mouth, I said, “Oh, guess what? I have cancer!” I was thrilled, of course, to report my day.

There was silence, and then the line was disconnected.

She called back and said, “Mom, that is not something you say to your daughter as though it were an everyday event.” And of course it was.

The doctor had just called and said that he wanted me to come into his office as soon as possible to talk, that the biopsy showed that I have cancer on my nose, phase 2 basal carcinoma. He wants to start me on radiation for four weeks as soon as possible. I start Turnaround House, my heart’s desire, tomorrow, and am wondering how the days will look as I intend to be there daily with the exception of two weekends. Anyway, my husband and my sons cannot be upset, my daughter cannot be upset, they really don’t know what they are supposed to feel and until they do, they don’t. For me, I don’t bother. I love life and that is my job. When Stephen was talking to the doctor, my thought was, “Ha ha, ha, ha, I have cancer and you don’t!” This thought and thoughts like this continue to override anything untrue to my way of understanding and keep me laughing and loving what is mind. I continue to wonder why people (mind) continue to believe that what never lived can die. It really is quite wonderful to be mind free of physical self-image. Denial is believing that you, as you understand you to be, ever are what or who you are, have been, or ever will or can be.

I invite you all to inquiry, to your own marvelous death of the body (before it dies) as you understand it to be and to be born of who and what you are not to your mind and then to understand what you are in that, as that unknowable known. I hope that you have followed what I have just written, as so many of you who love The Work for so many months or years have been able to do. Your own answers to the questions and examples of turnarounds have kept us as one, undivided in peace and beyond, for so many months, even years. I live in you and I die in you, what else is possible? Nothing. I love living in you if you love it, and I can tell you that you live in me and only that, you are my life. I love not belonging to me and you do and belonging to you when I do. What identification have you given me? I live as that. Do you love me yet? I welcome you to love beyond the self.
I wonder "is it true", the claim she now has cancer? The timing of her report is highly, highly suspicious to me, given the intense critical scrutiny she's been under of late. She just posted the entry last nght at 11:09PM. WTF?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 09:30PM by helpme2times.

Byron Katie(phase 2 basal carcinoma) Skin Cancer-Basal Cell Carcinoma
Date: March 03, 2008 05:20AM

helpme2times
Here's a link to it: Byron Katie Blog Entry
Here's what the Byron Katie blog entry says...

.. the biopsy showed that I have cancer on my nose, phase 2 basal carcinoma. He wants to start me on radiation for four weeks as soon as possible. I start Turnaround House, my heart’s desire, tomorrow, and am wondering how the days will look as I intend to be there daily with the exception of two weekends.

That is shocking news, and as with anyone, everyone would hope for the most rapid recovery possible. Of course, no one would ever think of commenting on another's medical condition, and leave that to the licensed professionals.

Quotes from the article...for basal cell carcinoma (BCC):
"The treatment of BCC is surgical", and "BCC rarely causes death" and "Surgery also provides a high cure rate" and "No restrictions in physical activities are indicated" and "a cure rate of more than 95% can be expected".

Skin Cancer: Basal Cell Carcinoma
[www.emedicine.com]

Background
Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) constitutes approximately 80% of all nonmelanoma skin cancers...

Mortality/Morbidity
The estimated annual death rate from this tumor is 0.44 per 100,000 persons. Most of these deaths are due to SCC. BCC rarely causes death. Morbidity is associated with uncontrolled advanced disease.

Medical Care
The treatment of BCC is surgical. Chemotherapy does not play a role in the management of BCC

Surgical Care
Curettage, cryotherapy, and laser ablation may be used to treat small superficial BCC. Surgical excision with a margin of normal tissue is generally recommended for all other lesions. This practice allows histologic examination of the specimen for confirmation of the adequacy of excision. Surgery also provides a high cure rate.

Diet
No dietary restrictions are indicated.

Activity
No restrictions in physical activities are indicated

Prognosis
Incidence of recurrence following surgical excision is 30% in patients with a positive margin, 12% in patients with a close margin, and less than 5% in patients with a complete excision. With adequate treatment, a cure rate of more than 95% can be expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 05:25AM by The Anticult.

Current Page: 21 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.