Current Page: 18 of 38
Byron Katie NLP, hypnosis, double-bind,Forced-Choice MANTRA, leading?
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 29, 2008 02:02AM

If Katie asked one that stacked forced-choice mantra leading question..one could reply...

Katie, why are you trying to manipulate me with a Forced-Choice, Leading Question stacked with Presuppositions, and a hypnotic double-bind?

The Anticult
jj52
However, she does repeat this phrase like a mantra to trance-induced people: "If The Work were the only way to God, would you take it?"

That is what they call Presupposition in NLP, and also hypnosis.
It also has the illusion of CHOICE, its a Forced-Choice.

Presuppositions: If its the ONLY way to God..that presupposes God exists, and that The Work exists and works.

Forced-Choice: And if its the ONLY way to God, then there is NO choice. You HAVE to take it.

Byron Katie wrote that MANTRA out extremely carefully.
When the BK people are saying its VOLUNTARY, that is from Katie.

That is the trick...its not Voluntary, its a Forced-Choice Mantra, Forced-Voluntary, which she expertly designed. That is rightout of the NLP hypnosis scene.

(I hope some Katie people read some of this stuff, and realize what she has done to them. Time to wake up folks. Most of you folks don't want to do this stuff to people, it ain't right, and you know it on some level).

Forced-Choice.
[www.google.com]

Its also related to the The Hypnotic Double Bind. (sounds like Byron Katie does lots of these)
[www.nlpweekly.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Work/Byron Katie
Date: February 29, 2008 02:17AM

Right, I would not love to see Katie's definition of a "study"...a collection of Testimonials, anecdotes, or rigged one's like they do with TM.
[skepdic.com]

any study would have to be carried out by objective 3rd parties, like a university or the NIMH, then peer-reviewed in major journals, then replicated by other people, among many other things.
There is not one LGAT system I have ever seen that has submitted itself to proper testing.
Also, for those who work in the LGAT field, they see most of the same people coming back over and over to the seminars, they ain't getting any better and they keep coming back. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, in terms of repeat customers. They want them to come back, of course, repeat business.

For anyone who's interested, here is a good example of how scientific studies are applied in psychology. Its peer-reviewed analysis of controlled studies.

[www.beckinstitute.org]
[tinyurl.com]
Meta-Analysis Shows the Effectiveness of Cognitive Therapy
How effective is cognitive therapy, for which disorders, and compared to what? A. Butler and J. Beck (2000) reviewed 14 meta-analyses that have investigated the efficacy of cognitive therapy with a total of 9,138 subjects in 325 studies involving 465 specific comparisons. Meta-analysis is a statistical approach that allows researchers to aggregate the results of multiple studies and describe these results in a standard unit known as an effect size. In our review, we examined how cognitive therapy outcomes compared to the outcomes of various control groups in terms of their effect sizes. Below is a summary of our review.

jj52
I do remember hearing talk of studies that were being conducted at The Schools to help get The Work on the map, so to speak. I wonder what ever came of it... or if it was even legit, because it was probably conducted by BK's loyal followers.

Probably not very objective, realisitic, or scientific... or credible.

-jj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 02:21AM by The Anticult.

Re: The Work/Byron Katie-strong concerns
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: February 29, 2008 07:50AM

The Anticult
That is why her website is full of legal disclaimers, as after she hurts you, you will find it difficult to do anything about it.

Could someone please post the text of her legal disclaimers she forces you to sign before you take her courses and School?
Just post the text in these Byron Katie threads, so we can have a look at it.
I didn't attend BK's school or any other event and so can't provide what you're asking for. (I wonder if anyone ever receives a copy of the legal disclaimer they sign at the events?)

On the other hand, here is what you are required to agree to before utilizing BK's online "Work Hotline":

Disclaimer of Endorsement

The Hotline is a volunteer service provided by Facilitators of The Work. Hotline Facilitators are not necessarily certified or endorsed by Byron Katie International (BKI). Facilitators are responsible for the specific content of their Facilitator Profiles that are posted on this site. BKI is not responsible for the content, opinions or advice expressed by individual Facilitator websites. Linking to a Facilitator’s website does not constitute or imply an endorsement by BKI of any products or services offered therein.

Disclaimer of Liability
By using The Work Hotline, you assume all risks associated with calling the volunteer Facilitators. BKI shall not, in any event, be liable for any actions taken on the part of the caller or Facilitator during or after the use of this Hotline. Each individual caller and Facilitator is fully responsible for all interactions that take place between the two parties. BKI is not responsible for, nor does it endorse, any interaction between the two parties and assumes no liability for or related to those interactions.

WARNING: Byron Katie Hotline, Disclaimer of Liability/Endorsement
Date: February 29, 2008 10:48AM

Thanks for posting those Disclaimers.
Conclusion? No one should EVER use the "volunteers" from Byron Katie International BKI, as they are not qualified, endorsed, or regulated. They could be anyone, they could be a con-artist, they could be anything at all. There is no oversight or regulation.

Byron Katie, complaints, practicing illegally without a license
Date: February 29, 2008 11:18AM

Here is information for reporting any concerns a citizen might have about damages being caused by psychotherapy in California, or concerns about those individuals who may be practicing psychotherapy illegally without a license.
One should never seek psychotherapy, or any type of psychotherapeutic service from an unlicensed person, as they are not regulated, as..

"Such licensure permits the consumer to pursue recourse against the licensee should the consumer believe that the licensee engaged in unprofessional conduct."

[www.bbs.ca.gov]
[www.bbs.ca.gov]
Notice to California Consumers Regarding Psychotherapy on the Internet
The Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) would like to make the following recommendations to California consumers who choose to seek therapy or counseling over the Internet.

Individuals who provide psychotherapy or counseling, either in person, by telephone, or over the Internet, are required by law to be licensed. Licensing requirements vary by state. Individuals who provide psychotherapy or counseling to persons in California are required to be licensed in California. Such licensure permits the consumer to pursue recourse against the licensee should the consumer believe that the licensee engaged in unprofessional conduct.

Be a cautious consumer when seeking therapy over the Internet, or by any other means, by doing the following:

-Verify that the practitioner has a current and valid license in the State of California.
[...]

Rochelle Laudenslager murder, facilitator, The Work, Byron Katie
Date: March 01, 2008 06:20AM

Here is a cross-link to the other thread, about a news story where....according to the reports, Rochelle Laudenslager was a facilitator for The Work, and now recently "pleaded no contest to third-degree murder".

Laudenslager appears to have been one of The Work’s online network facilitators and stated she attended an "intensive weekend session" with Byron Katie Mitchell, and used The Work to coach company employees in her workplace, and used The Work on “family issues, health issues, relationship issues, success and failure, weight, diet or body image and work place issues.” ...
“The Work continues to reveal all answers/wisdom within — working with the true self, not against,” Laudenslager wrote. “As my mind continues to meet itself with understanding, open to seeing alternatives, I notice how a false belief gradually holds less power, unravels and falls away.”

There are quotes attribued to Byron Katie Mitchell in the news report...

-“It’s like years of psychology in a moment,” Mitchell says.
-Mitchell says The Work can heal mental illness. Those who see the truth can never return to their former lives of anger or despair, she insists.
-So what went wrong with Laudenslager? “I would say she got off to a good start and it just wasn’t enough,” Mitchell says. “It takes work. I don’t call it ‘The Work’ for nothing.”

Murder suspect claimed self-help plan helped her
[forum.culteducation.com]

Re: Rochelle Laudenslager murder, facilitator, The Work, Byron Katie
Posted by: jj52 ()
Date: March 01, 2008 07:57AM

Anticult,

This is so bizarre.

She killed someone and all "Mitchell" can do is blame her for it? It's because she didn't do enough of The Work, eh?
Nothing is ever BK's doing, is it?

Whatever. Ugh.

-jj

Date: March 01, 2008 08:40AM

jj52
This is so bizarre.

She killed someone and all "Mitchell" can do is blame her for it? It's because she didn't do enough of The Work, eh?

That article said..."Mitchell says The Work can heal mental illness. Those who see the truth can never return to their former lives of anger or despair, she insists.".

Anyone see the intellectual fraud in that claim? Those who see the Truth? What truth? That there is no truth? She is claiming that there is no truth is a truth? Its gibberish, a hypnotic pattern meant to confuse you.
Never return to anger or despair? That is also a complete fabrication, its an impossible claim.

Does anyone know of any other text, or recordings where Byron Katie claims or states The Work can heal any type of mental illness?
Or heal any type of physical illness, or make any medical claims of that nature?

Was Byron Katie saying that Rochelle Laudenslager DID NOT WORK HARD ENOUGH on The Work?
It seem she is saying that if she worked harder at The Work, it would have healed her mental illnesses?
Is that what she is saying?
Here is the text from the article again...

"So what went wrong with Laudenslager? “I would say she got off to a good start and it just wasn’t enough,” Mitchell says. “It takes work. I don’t call it ‘The Work’ for nothing.”

Date: March 01, 2008 09:04AM

The Anticult
That article said..."Mitchell says The Work can heal mental illness. Those who see the truth can never return to their former lives of anger or despair, she insists.".

Anyone see the intellectual fraud in that claim? Those who see the Truth? What truth? That there is no truth? She is claiming that there is no truth is a truth? Its gibberish, a hypnotic pattern meant to confuse you.
Never return to anger or despair? That is also a complete fabrication, its an impossible claim.

Does anyone know of any other text, or recordings where Byron Katie claims or states The Work can heal any type of mental illness?
Or heal any type of physical illness, or make any medical claims of that nature?
A few days ago it said this on her website:

The Work is a simple yet powerful process of inquiry that teaches you to identify and question the stressful thoughts that cause all the suffering in the world. It's a way to understand what's hurting you, a way to end all your stress and suffering.
So quess what? I just checked the web page where it said the above, and now it's gone! They're trying to cover their tracks!

I will look at the BK books I still have to see if I can find anything there. (Who knew those books just might come in handy for quite a different reason than I originally thought!)

Date: March 01, 2008 09:15AM

The Anticult
I'm looking at Byron Katie's book, Question Your Thinking, Change The World, and I'm spotting quite a few doozies in the chapter, "On Health, Sickness, and Death". Will share at least one of those doozies as soon as I finish looking over the whole chapter...

Current Page: 18 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.