Cults documentary
Posted by: dle443 ()
Date: January 04, 2005 10:47AM

Hello, I am a filmmaker from Chicago. I am brainstorming to do a documentary about differnt social groups in the United States, more specifically cults. Can anyone tell me if they know someone, a cult leader who would be open to on camera interviews. Might you know someone who is thinking about joining a cult and wouldn't mind having their story captured. Or, someone who has been involved in a Cult and want to discuss the experience. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Cults documentary
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 04, 2005 07:48PM

Dr. Len Oakes wrote a book entitled 'Prophetic Charisma' in which he interviewed 20 charismatic leaders of groups. Its highly readable, and well worth the extra price for a rush order from amazon.com, because it will give you helpful pointers on these leaders' life trajectories, mannerisms and the kinds of questions to ask during your interviews.

If you contact him privately (you can find him on the web-he is in Australia and is both a clinical psychologist and a researcher), he may be able to give you advice about interviews and possibly suggest some people to work with.

The thing that got me as I read the book was that these people were not serene, even though they presented that way; inside, in secret, they were desperate to keep their own lives and groups under control. Being a charismatic leader is a 24-7 job. The other thing Oakes learned was none of the people were capable of adult intimacy (friendship, partnered relationship) with adult peers. They could only deal with situations where they were in control--or trying to get that way.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.