Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Werner spin
Posted by: glam ()
Date: December 30, 2004 02:19AM

I was curious about why Fortune Magazine would have lauded Werner Erhard, as he states on his official website, wernererhard.com:

Fortune magazine’s 40th Anniversary issue (May 15, 1995), in examining the major contributions to management thinking, recognized Werner Erhard’s creation of est as the major innovation of the 1970s in shaping modern management thinking toward empowering people.

So I got hold of the article in question. Here's what it actually says:

"True, in the 1970s, self-realization movements like est got out of
hand. PacBell had to abandon its costly leadership program after
employees complained that it was a 'dress code for the mind.' "

If anyone would like to see the article in its entirety, I'd be glad to email it to you.

Glam

Options: ReplyQuote
Werner spin
Date: December 30, 2004 02:26AM

Est is also mentioned in a Fortune article titled "Nike vs. Reebok," as a way employees shun others and keep management who refuse to take The Forum out of the loop:

Muddying the waters further is Fireman's interest in est, the human-potential program founded by Werner Erhard that drew thousands of devotees in the 1970s. The Reebok chief is outspoken in his admiration for est training--'I believe in anything that allows you to look at yourself and see what's possible,' he says. He continues to recommend that his managers take part in a recent derivation of the training called the Forum. The problem, say former Reebok executives, is that the company sometimes divides up between those who buy into the est message and those who don't. Key employees, even top managers, at times seem to be kept out of the loop, denied crucial new research or excluded from strategy meetings unless they accept the est outlook and methods. Fervent est adherents, meanwhile, form a sort of subculture with its own attitudes and jargon. Says one former Reebok manager: 'Certain people are always going around saying stuff like 'I need some coaching on that.' '

Sad.

Werner spin
Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: December 30, 2004 04:08AM

"dress code for the mind" -- exactly!!!! Why don't people seem to recognise this anymore?

Werner spin
Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: December 30, 2004 04:36AM

It would be interesting to read that article. Landmark pushes all the good news and even makes it introduction leaders read it over and over but now I wonder if they have censured the articles and re-written them before copying to read?

I will PM you Glam with my E-Mail address if you could please send me a copy of that article.

Werner spin
Posted by: SL1993 ()
Date: December 30, 2004 07:44AM

glam
I was curious about why Fortune Magazine would have lauded Werner Erhard, as he states on his official website, wernererhard.com:

Fortune magazine’s 40th Anniversary issue (May 15, 1995), in examining the major contributions to management thinking, recognized Werner Erhard’s creation of est as the major innovation of the 1970s in shaping modern management thinking toward empowering people.

So I got hold of the article in question. Here's what it actually says:

"True, in the 1970s, self-realization movements like est got out of
hand. PacBell had to abandon its costly leadership program after
employees complained that it was a 'dress code for the mind.' "

If anyone would like to see the article in its entirety, I'd be glad to email it to you.

Glam

Do you have a url?

Werner spin
Date: December 30, 2004 09:34AM

Oh, for goodness' sake, you're so obvious.

Werner spin
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: December 30, 2004 10:55AM

From Landmark's website...

"Experts on Sects and Cults
Well-known authorities on the subject have stated that Landmark Education and its programs have no characteristics of sects or cults. (PDF)"

Lowell Streiker, Ph.D. (PDF)
Edward H. Lowell, M.D., P.A. (PDF)
Margaret Singer, Author of Cults in Our Midst (PDF)

Margaret Thaler Singer, Ph.D., a well-known U.S. cult expert, co-author of the book

“Cults in our Midst — The Hidden Menace in our Everyday Lives”, advisor to The

Cult Awareness Network and a Member of the Board of Directors of the American

Family Foundation, stated on May 7, 1997 as follows:

“I do not believe that either Landmark or The Landmark Forum is a

cult or sect, or meets the criteria of a cult or sect.”"

Note the absence of context in the statement LEC provides.

This is what Margaret Thaler Singer writes in her book.....

Intruding into the Workplace
An excerpt from the book Cults In Our Midst

by Dr. Margaret Singer

Copyright 1995 by Margaret Singer.
Published by Jossey-Bass Publishers

There are many advancement programs, workshops, seminars, and training sessions currently utilized by companies and corporations in the United States and elsewhere that are legitimate in their intentions and often effective in their outcomes. Some of these programs have incorporated new ideas and new ways of thinking, which is why, on occasion, they are referred to as New Age training programs. This in itself does not make them harmful or of evil intent.[i:d44f054c7c] Yet, a small but significant portion of these programs are not what they appear to be. In some cases, they are fronts for cults or other organizations using thought-reform processes that can cause considerable psychological harm and turmoil and can even precipitate psychoses in some employees without delivering any increased skill, productivity, profit, or other purported benefit.[/i:d44f054c7c]

Several years ago, the executive vice president of the American Society for Training and Development estimated that $150 million was being spent annually by U.S. businesses on suspicious training programs. This may not seem like a lot compared to the billions of dollars spent overall in this country on motivational training, but when we consider the loss of time as well as money on programs that produce no positive job related effect and merely seek to sell more and more seminars, when we realize the distress caused to employees who are unprepared for the emotional and psychological duress of some of the sessions, when we realize the intrusion into personal beliefs perpetrated by those programs that misrepresent themselves, then we see a trend of impact on everyday life that cannot be ignored."

Werner spin
Date: December 30, 2004 04:12PM

glam
Oh, for goodness' sake, you're so obvious.

Were you replying to me here, or someone else?

I'd love to see that article - is there a url for it? Or could you post it?

Thanks.

Werner spin
Date: December 31, 2004 12:30AM

Try this one:

[www.culteducation.com]

Werner spin
Date: December 31, 2004 01:33PM

glam
Try this one:

[www.culteducation.com]

???????

Why are you acting like this, Glam? Do you have a url for the article or not? I'd really like to see it. If you don't want to post it, then say so.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.