Current Page: 30 of 34
Psychosis after a Tony Robbins Seminar??
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: January 01, 2007 05:13AM

yes, every red cent of your money he has put into his 'Charitable Foundation" has been shouted from the housetops hundreds of times, he's a real old fashioned [b:f8b9f1983f]Tony Robinhood.[/b:f8b9f1983f]
Even the local Mafia Don gives to the local soup kitchen, and makes sure everyone knows about it, over and over, and over.

Of course, having a "Charitable Foundation" to channel all of one's excess income, also reduces your tax burden, and of course, one still controls all that money, and can use to advertise and promote yourself and your business.
Reminds one of The Hunger Project from Werner Erhard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 02, 2007 06:40AM

Here is an accurate comment about Tony Robbins and his "charity work" from this website...

[www.tony-robbins.org]

Tony Robbins and charity
During the events we heard Tony Robbins preach repeatedly about the virtues of charity. How charitable he is. How charitable we should be. How we should donate money to THE TONY ROBBINS FOUNDATION and he ran a competition amongst the group to see who was the most generous giver. He told us that he believes that what we give away to others comes back to us many fold and so we should be as generous and as giving as we can with others. He said this was so important that no matter what our financial state we CANNOT AFFORD to be anything other than charitable and giving.

Easy to say when you are the one asking for a handout.

For as wealthy as Tony Robbins is and for as charity minded as he claims to be, he does not have the honesty and integrity to keep his "satisfaction guaranteed" promise and give back what is not his to keep.

It seems to me Robbins is quite charity minded when it comes to other people's money and committing other people's time and resources to his charity organization and then taking credit for it. But "charity" seems to be nothing more than an opportunity to market his many companies and doing so at someone else's expense.

Here are some very interesting new comments about Robbins...very accurate.

[www.tony-robbins.org]

I am so very HAPPY you have done this website. I was highly involved with the Robbins org for MANY years, first as a volunteer then as an employee.... I was in his inner circle which gives you a different view than as a participant. You realize quickly that things are not as they seem.

I can tell you that his tactics are unethical, immoral, and dangerous!!! NLP is dangerous as he is putting ideas into the participants heads to directly link HIM to their success, so they MUST go to his events and buy his products, etc in order for them to be successful because if they don't, they won't succeed. Scarey stuff indeed. Makes you wonder what other ideas he is putting into people's heads without their awareness or permission. He does not tell you that he is going to use brainwashing techniques, sleep and food deprivation, hypnosis etc on you as a participant. He does not inform you that these techniques are powerful and can be a detriment to you in the long run.

I saw him coming undone right before my very eyes. He was unfaithful to his beautiful (now ex-), wife Becky, and many of his staff knew this and helped to bring women to him in unscrupulous ways at events, even as his wife was in another part of the hotel.

I know of at least two women who worked for him that filed sexual harrassment suits against him and WON! Of course, these were never heard of due to the agreements in the judgements.... but the truth must be known!

Please, everyone, even those that are fully entrenched into the program.... please step outside yourselves and really question what it going on here!? Open your eyes and question it.... it is your only hope to get out of the addiction. And it is an addiction! The comments from the naysayers to this website show how deeply entrenched his tactics are and how hard the devotees to him will fight for him. They are all like sheep being led to the slaughter and fighting for their right to do so![/size:999f581740]

and another refusal to refund money...

Hi one of my best friends paid to go on one of his seminars in London. My friend paid the costs. The seminar was cancelled and he did not get his money back. He phoned and phoned the company month after month and they still never gave him his money back...instead they offered some free Compact Disks.

My friend got up at 5.30 am every morning to deliver newspapers so that he could raise the money to go on the seminar.

I think he increases peoples unrealistic expectations whilst reducing their bank accounts. His sales team are like a brain washes army of fanatics.

Posted by: thepower ()
Date: January 17, 2007 08:57PM

I went to UPW last year as I had heard it was very good. I had listened to PPII and thought it was an excellent program. Well, I also felt that UPW was a tremendous weekend. It was full of good advice, strategies and memorable moments. I feel that Tony Robbins has a powerful message to impart and has people's best interests in mind.

Of course Tony Robbins is exceptionally wealthy and his products are expensive, but I think people get too tied up in that. If I could do what he does, I would do this too - as long as you are offering a good product and people willingly pay for it, what's unethical? What is called "brainwashing" here is actually just building up a strong rapport with his customers. OF COURSE he wants continued custom. That's what all leaders/marketers/coaches want, but the suggestions here that his tactics are malevolent and underhanded seems a little overblown for me.

Trust me, I'm no zealot. I have an open mind. However, a lot of the claims here seem unsubstantiated. Tony's infidelity? Claims about his marriage? Him deciving people and being an a-hole behind the scenes? Hmm...I sincerely doubt that anyone who has posted here would be privy to that sort of information. Additionally, Tony's personal life has no bearing on the millions of people he has helped over the years. Even with that said, a lot of very influential and credible people swear by him and endorse him vigorously.

Of course, THEY (and anyone who likes Tony Robbins) have been brainwashed via some devious Milton Eriksson-esque tactics. The man is clearly evil! All those things he teaches on his tapes, books and seminars are so malevolent and will worsen society. Come ON!

Yeah, Anticult, everyone is laughing because Tony Robbins has shown people are so easy to manipulate. Doesn't the world illustrate that every day anyway?! All the NLPers are laughing. Don't you think your claims are just a bit "out there"? Give me some evidence. PLEASE.

I will say that some of the cult-like behaviour at UPW was a little disconcerting to me personally. I don't doubt that some of these people go to every seminar and are *still* messed up - some have that scary, glazed look and maniacal demeanour. However, these are just some "followers", who do act in a very peculiar way, and probably don't follow through. There is nothing that TR said that affected me in this way and he did not say anything to encourage such behavior. Millions of people have been to his shows; just because some of them are f'ed up should not reflect on him.

What's important to remember is that some people will act in such a frenzied way at rock concerts, church and hypnosis! It does not make those things inherently bad. Same with the original theme of this thread. His seminars have caused psychosis?! Hmm, iffy. No doubt that some people have experienced this. However, it cannot be stated in such an isolated way; I have known people who have lost it after going to counselling, work, hypnosis and school! Not everyonme who goes to these seminars will be of sound mind in the first place.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 17, 2007 09:45PM

thepower:

Please don't personally attack members of this forum.

This is considered flaming and that is against the rules.

Your post has been edited accordingly.

Date: February 26, 2007 08:38AM

(this is a response to the Robbins fan-atic, but in the correct Robbins thread)

[board.culteducation.com]

Here are a few points about comments made by one of the Tony Robbins followers who posted in the other thread.

-he says he is a "scientist" which is meaningless, as many "scientists" are the easiest to deceive, as they can be very simple-minded and not used to dealing with complex human situations. Its not even relevant.

-he has clearly NOT done Life Mastery, or Mastery University, as if he did, he would realize that over 90% of what Robbins teaches is "pure crap or bullshit" as that is part of the course. After you spend 50K, then Robbins basically tells you if you are listening that he has [b:6328d46f31]conned you [/b:6328d46f31]using NLP and Unconscious Influence, and "that is how the world works" so go out and do it to others.

-Robbins ENGINEERS his Followers to follow him like he is basically Jesus Christ. He does specific NLP patterns to build in that kind of Mania, its not an accident. That has all been explained in detail, to deny that is a lie.

-Robbins opposes all critical thinking or inquiry. Just try to ask a critical question at one of his LGAT seminars, its impossible. Also, his web forum forbids any critical thinking or analysis.

-the Firewalk is a SCAM, the coal ashes do not conduct heat, its just a trick and sales hype.
[skepdic.com]

-there is no conspiracy. Its simply facts. Robbins exists to con people into attending all of his LGAT seminars.

-And Harv Ecker "free seminar" is a SCAM, meant to lure suckers into the tent, so they can upsell them on the dozens of other expensive seminars.

-be very cautious of what is being said by these types of Robbins followers. Robbins followers are basically both sheeple, and the wolves who benefit from preying on them. That Robbins follower is certainly on the wolf side of the equation, so if you are a wolf in life, you can learn lots of sales-tricks and NLP mind-games from Robbins, that you can go and do on people, and scam them too, while telling yourself you are Mother Theresa.

Date: February 26, 2007 09:09AM

Here are a couple of excerpts of criticism of Anthony Robbins from a website that exposes Tony Robbins, in case that website vanishes due to the threats.

[www.tony-robbins.org]

I am an Anthony Robbins fan. I have just read some of your website though. I started from about the middle of the reader comments, and was starting to get a little more skeptical about Tony Robbins (though not converted either way). Then I scrolled ot the top and read this:

"Dear Mr. Arty.B, I am a lawyer and Tony 'fan'...." I was amazed.
- Have the teachings of Tony Robbins allowed this person to develop their character to the point where they are threatening someone's wife and children?
- Is it the greatness they have awakened after attending a seminar or reading one of these books, that makes them want to rip someones throat out?
- If their personality is improved so much, why are they swearing at you?
- Is it all the things they have learned since hearing what Tony Robbins says that has made them into the kind of person who will put so much time and effort into hurting somebody?
- Is threatening to bring down people who have nothing at all to do with a dispute you have, and no option as to whether you include them or not, such as another person's parents, what shows us that Tony Robbins teachings make people into truely great people?
- Is someone taking out a personal vendetta, simply because someone else highlights incidences of suspected brainwashing, more indicative of a person who is rational, or one who has been brainwashed?

This s the single most harmful piece of anti-advertising I have EVER seen against Tony Robbins.

For someone I would expect because of their profession to have some intelligence, they need to display some of it. If the product of reading Tony Robbins' books and being so pro-Robbins is that you would put your professed considerable wealth and power into this calculating hatred and anger, why would anyone ever want to read a Tony Robbins book?
Tony Robbins, you should really inspire people to do nicer things, because this kind of response, it really doesn't help you at all.
----------------------------------------

Hi,
I am also a physicist
This quote amused me:

"produce a quantum difference in your life"

While quantum can just be considered to mean "discrete" (as in 'not infinitely small', 'a defined amount') there is also the meaning "very small". We often talk about things on a classical or quantum scale, where classical means large, and quantum means really really really small, previously undetectable until pretty much the advent of quantum mechanics.

So to make a quantum difference in my life I would expect to make a quantum contribution, i.e. one that is so small I am unable to detect it, such as zero dollars and zero cents.

lol

Hello,

Wow. I am stunned. I was a Tony Robbins fan for the past fifteen years. I've never attended any of his events, but I have read many of his books and listened to several of his programs.

I too was shocked a few years ago to learn that he had divorced his wife and married another woman, especially after all of the marital advice he dispenses in his programs. However, I had no idea about the NLP and brainwashing tactics he uses until I read your site today (I knew he was an NLP proponent but didn't know that he used it on his audiences.)

I do understand though as my husband and I attended a 'free' Harv Eker seminar in 2005. We ended up spending several thousands of dollars on a second seminar and if it had been up to me, we would have bought his whole package. Thankfully my husband had his head screwed on much better than I did! I feel very naive but I must admit that after reading your website, I can see how I was completely brainwashed at that seminar by the jumping up and down and high pressure environment, on top of being completely exhausted from being up at 5am and not finishing until 11pm each night (I had no idea that the 16 hour days were designed to do that on purpose - I thought it was extra 'value.')

I am also shocked by the physical violence you are being threatened with from Robbins' 'followers.' It sounds as if he has a kind of a cult going and I wonder if he would be concerned to learn about these people. Very scary, but I admire your poise, determination, and courage.

Thank you for publishing this website. What you are doing is very important and will save many people not just a lot of money, but a lot of heartache as well. I am also going to be MUCH more prudent about whom I accept as a teacher in the future, and I will definitely abstain from the weekend seminars.

Kindest regards, an ex-Tony Robbins fan (never ever thought I'd think that!),

Hi,
I have been looking on the internet for some time to locate information that critiques the Tony Robbins style of personal empowerment.
What I noticed is that there is a distinct lack of this information out there, and furthermore it is very hard to find any detailed biographical information on Tony.
I went to the UPW seminar in Sydney in 2002, and while I found some aspects of this event to be positive, I was alarmed by the cult like manner in which Tony was worshipped by the masses.
His presentations are sermons delivered with a great deal of energy but very little substance. Furthermore, the shameless marketing that occurred was beyond belief and there was this underlying sense that it was all about worshipping the god of money and power, a selfish, self indulgent cult.
The responses that you have posted from fans only give further credance to my beliefs that the Robbins foundation is nothing more than a cult, with fanatical members who attack anyone who questions there position.
Great website, don’t let them get you down!
Regards

Hello,
I'm a freelance writing working on a piece called The Motivational Elite, which is about how the self-help industry has, with the help of corporate America, infiltrated the workplace and the demeaning effect it has on employees whose goals are not to amass absurd amounts of wealth but to simply be happy.

I am referencing your website, which I have gotten a big kick out of, for the column. I am hoping to use some of your text in it. Needless to say I would cite your website. Please let me know if this is fine with you. Thanks.

Hi Arty!
I've seen your website a few times - I think its great what your doing - showing an alternative viewpoint of Tony.
As you have a popular website you must have received "legal letters" from Brian Wolf at his legal firm L&S ?
Your not being in the US makes things harder for them to sue you.
I was doing a search on google and came across your website - and just wanted to say how brave you are to be vocal about Tony.
Well done

I was about to purchase Get the Edge as work prospects not too good for my husband. However I decided to google TR first and came across your site and its revelations!!. Thankyou for saving me!!

Thanks soooo much for posting your experience on Tony Robbins seminars. It really helps people like me to make educated (experience based) decisions. Thanks again,

I just watched an infomerical on AR our time 3.30am, and I got my credit card out and came to the phone but I thought I would just look him up on the internet and I found your site. Thank you for saving me $ especially now at christmas time. I didn't even know he was divorced.

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 26, 2007 09:15AM

Also, the firewalk is an amazing thing to do! It's simply used as a metaphor... The fire and coals are real and not the wimpy little charcoal briquettes.. it's hotter than hell real hardwood that get's burnt down to coals and although I'd kept trying to figure out the physics of this to make sense of it... it just amazed me to walk across these coals.

what did you walk across the coals on? Your feet or your head?

Date: February 26, 2007 09:34AM

Notice how this guy says he is a scientist, yet he is totally ignorant of the 9th grade physics of heat conductivity?

The ashes from the coals act as insulators and do not conduct heat. [skepdic.com]
You have to be totally ignorant of science to not know that.

(Robbins sometimes claims that his preparations "rearrange the molecules in your feet"...all lies)

But notice again how the wolfish followers of Tony Robbins have no problem with simply lying? Its a tool of selling, they feel no guilt about lying whatsoever. They say they are a "scientist" yet they don't know any science? Welcome to the Tonyland where truth does not exist...those are the Lies Of Success.

Also, tons of people get their feet blistered to shit at these Tony Robbins firewalks, and other firewalks, like James Ray.
Of course, Robbins makes sure they blame themselves for not "believing enough".
More lies.

They just stepped in an area where the ash was too thin.

ON2 LF

.. it's hotter than hell real hardwood that get's burnt down to coals and although I'd kept trying to figure out the physics of this to make sense of it... i

what did you walk across the coals on? Your feet or your head?

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: February 27, 2007 07:16PM

Not sure if these links were already presented in this thread:

[www.tony-robbins.org]
Tony Robbins - A first hand, critical view of how the Tony Robbins Organization performs and operates

[www.ncahf.org]
William T. Jarvis, Ph.D.
National Council Against Health Fraud

[www.randi.org]
James Randi Educational Foundation

Date: February 27, 2007 08:06PM

More and more testimonies keep coming out about Tony Robbins and allegations of womanizing at his LGAT seminars.

[www.stockwatch.com]

John, sure a lot of the heroes of our time have made mistakes. So I ask you why can't the big man step up and use his preachings in his private life? Perhaps, he's full of shit and doesn't need to because he IS Tony Robbins... the hero that you so love. Great hero! Someone who works off of other people's weaknesses for HUGE sums of cash. He's perfected an insincere front and will attack anyone legally at any cost if they think their indiscretions may come out in the public. The reality is that Tony does not own up to his human errs he hides behind his legal team.
As for your commment about him not using religion motivation... he is looking into using deeksha's in the future. He lays hands on seminar participant's heads for blessings now. No.. that's not out of hand now, is it? Keep believing that Tony rocks, and I will keep believing what I know to be true... he sucks as a human being... knowing what I know.
Let me ask you one question John. Why is it he can treat someone like shit and knowing what he knows that's ok with you? With all the seminars he spiels the positive message, yet he has no true sincerity about the message he speaks. If you did the same thing, I would say the same thing about you... so why do you insist on putting someone on a pedastal who doesn't deserve to be on one?
Posted by LA girl @ 2006-12-29 15:33

------------------------

I worked for Tony in Hawaii when he first started out back in the 80s. Ran two seminars for him. I went to his wedding reception at the Del Mar "castle".

Having said that, I lost my respect for this man when he made inappropriate advances to my 18 year old assistant the night of one of our pre-seminar presentations. She walked out, shaken and upset. He did not do anything illegal, just inappropriate. I left the program after that seminar weekend. He is a womanizer. He treated his wife, Becky, disrespectively in the 80s--I knew them, I saw it with my own eyes. I have been to their house twice; so I know of what I speak. But that is human nature. An unfortunate part of human nature.

I haven't been to his seminars since, nor have I been in contact. I often wonder what impact it all had on my 18 year old former assistant. ...
He has many faults. He has a history of infidelity. And, no one practices what they preach 100% of the time. That's human nature.
My heart goes out to Becky; we all knew it was a matter of time. My heart goes out to my former assistant; she was young and innocent. I still go to seminars; I generally take some "gem" away from all of them. But, I do not attend Tony's seminars. I can't take the "disconnect".
Catherine
Posted by Catherine @ 2007-01-21 16:41

---------------------------------

Catherine thanks for sharing. I can bet you there are many women who have a story like you or LA girl. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many women he's affected negatively by his come ons and indiscretions and his behavior afterwards. It's great to hear the people he has helped. I bet the number of women who came forward anonmously to write of their experience would blow even his die hard followers away.
Perhaps it would be different if he just admitted to messing around and hurting women to maintain his reputation. He's not being honest and sincere and that's what he goes on at his events -- that he promises not to betray anyone's trust. Yeah right.
Posted by Dyanne - NYC @ 2007-01-22 20:50

-----------------------

Having worked in the company many years ago I noticed attractive women did attend events. So what. The typical man like yourself might portray a woman who is attractive and excited by the NLP and hypnotizing that Tony does on the masses as "easy". I would describe those same women who invest hundreds of dollars into bettering themselves as vulnerable. I've seen many men and women have person issues go to events and become transformmed. Both men and women sexually and physically abused move past their issues. I do not think that gives anyone including Tony the right to cross any line with the participants of his events. It's unprofessional and if he was a licensed psychologist his credentials would be taken away and perhaps even jailed. Integrity, honesty, and accountability are lacking in TR's character that's from an inside perspective. By the way, Becky was a marvelous lady and it's a shame the cowardly way he ended that relationship. Enough said.
Posted by Pat, San Diego @ 2007-02-13 23:15

Current Page: 30 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.