Current Page: 5 of 34
Psychosis after a Tony Robbins Seminar??
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: June 03, 2003 02:49AM

I just looked at Tony Robbins former health partner "Dr. Young's" website more carefully, and who in the heck is this guy? He is not an MD. What is his PhD in?
He thinks he is founding a New Biology? A new biology? Whats wrong with the old one? :)
My not so humble opinion? This is some very acidic BS!

Snakeoil.

Coz
-------------------(my thoughts are in brackets)-------
Dr. Robert O. Young, PhD and Shelley Redford Young, introduce their latest book, The “The pH Miracle”. The book is a simple and exciting explanation of The New Biology and explains in detail the benefits of a new way of living, eating and thinking. The dietary supplements he recommends as a vital part of his program are available exclusively through Innerlight, Inc. (exclusive $$$)(The New Biology? not likely!)

(his total DISCLAIMER, which TOTALLY CONTRADICTS ALL OF HIS CLAIMS!!!!)
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease. (so then if they do not prevent or treat any disease, why use them?)

(here is the alleged "theory", which is totally 'INVALIDATED by his DISCLAIMER!!!!)
[www.greenandlean.com]
Dr. Robert O. Young's New Biology, most simply stated, is that the over-acidification of the body is the single underlying cause of all disease. In contrast, the old biology, based on the work of Louis Pasteur in the late 1800s, stems from the idea that disease comes from germs which invade the body from the outside. Dr. Young has found that when the body is in healthy alkaline balance, germs are unable to get a foothold.

(In my opinion, this is all about selling supplements for profit.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ang2BRD ()
Date: June 03, 2003 07:28AM

Through the Dietary Supplement Health Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), all nutritional supplements are required to have the statement on their bottles - "This statement has not been evealuated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." Look on your multivitamin bottle - it's on there, too.

But the scary part is that ALL nutritional supplements are also protected by DSHEA. In essence, a nutritional supplement has to seriously harm or kill several people BEFORE the FDA steps in and takes it off the shelf. Take ephedra as an example. That is why it is so important to do your own research before popping pills. People don't think that simple vitamins, minerals and herbs can be dangerous, but they are very wrong. To find out more about DSHEA, go to: [vm.cfsan.fda.gov]

Testimonials ("It worked great for me!") are never good enough. Evidence-based medicine is the only way to go. Research is ongoing, so like everything else in the "health world," we progress and change as we find new things out. But I can promise you that Tony Robbins will NOT be the first person to tell the world about something wonderful in health and nutrition. Bottom line: DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH USING REPUTABLE RESOURCES BEFORE INVESTING INTO "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" PRODUCTS WHETHER BE NUTRITIONAL, MOTIVATIONAL OR ANYTHING ELSE.

Date: June 03, 2003 08:42AM

Corboy, you are right on the MONEY!
First, Tony Robbins was one of the first people to take NLP and SELL it! He studied under Bandler and Grinder the founders of NLP, and then and went and SOLD it, and used it in the Marketplace to make a bunch of CASH! I think he was actually the guy who STARTED all this NLP for the masses stuff! Richard Bandler told me he still gets royalty checks from Robbins. TR was known as the BEST NLPer out there! He called himself one of NLP's "top experts". Funny eh? :D

Also, about TRANCE. Again 100% correct. 10-15% of people are highly suggestible to hypnosis. These folks Tony Robbins can deeply influence. Around 10% of people cannot go into a Trance, so perhaps these are the people TR can't touch, but he gets to them in other ways. (I see TR as being a master of hypnosis as well. But he is so good, he does it without you even knowing it, all the while telling you he is "unhypnotizing" you!). (I am NOT joking when i say that).

Onto the "brainwashing" link! [www.serendipity.li]
From that list I see Robbins using: Pavlovian Conditioning, Voice Anchoring, building emotional excitement, Pain and Pleasure - "The Dickens Pattern", Anecdotal Testimony, talk of "Instant Change-winning lotteries" (Miracles), powerful Music, Sound, and Lighting, seminars from 9am until after midnight, endless offers of follow-up courses and "coaching", using special Jargon, TR claims to have worked with the Marines, less than normal amounts of sleep in seminar weekends, programmed confusion-overwhelm, Thought stopping to the extreme!, Visualization, Chanting of slogans and incantations, the place is FULL OF TRUE BELIEVERS who are working for FREE or attending the seminar, YES SET big-time!, Embedded Commands, EVERY NLP technique on earth, Interspersal Technique+, Shock and Awe techniques, TR SELLS subliminal tapes, so he might be using subliminals, etc.

So TR uses MOST things on that list, but he also has LOTS of Humor, but very little “public shaming” done by him. The “shaming” is actually done on the inside, AFTER you construct this Idealized Self-Image, and you can’t live up to it. Then you start “feeling bad”, and guess what? MORE PRODUCTS TO BUY.

TR seems to use even more techniques than are listed in that article! I think TR uses a lot of techniques that are actually FAR more powerful than those listed in that extensive article.

I swear to you, TR is a Master of this stuff, he is the best I have ever seen or heard of.
Thanks for the link!
Everytime I write one of these, I get a little more “deprogrammed”.

Coz

Posted by: JVSnoodle ()
Date: June 03, 2003 12:35PM

Actually, TR no longer associates with Robert Young. He has his own line of products now.

Date: June 04, 2003 01:20AM

JVSnoodle
Actually, TR no longer associates with Robert Young. He has his own line of products now.

Well ok, fine. He's always "changing" business partners, i can't keep up!
In Get The Edge, TR goes on and on about this "Dr. Young" guy, and how he has this "special product", and what a big genius he is. It only took me a few minutes to realize the guy was selling what i would call "Snakeoil" or at best a Placebo.
Just eat your green Veggies!

Like I said, in my view its all about big and easy $$.
High profit margins.
Greens = Greenbacks

Same Green-BS, different pile.

Coz

Posted by: JVSnoodle ()
Date: June 04, 2003 12:35PM

Ang2BRD
Through the Dietary Supplement Health Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), all nutritional supplements are required to have the statement on their bottles - "This statement has not been evealuated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." Look on your multivitamin bottle - it's on there, too.

But the scary part is that ALL nutritional supplements are also protected by DSHEA. In essence, a nutritional supplement has to seriously harm or kill several people BEFORE the FDA steps in and takes it off the shelf. Take ephedra as an example. That is why it is so important to do your own research before popping pills. People don't think that simple vitamins, minerals and herbs can be dangerous, but they are very wrong. To find out more about DSHEA, go to: [vm.cfsan.fda.gov]

Testimonials ("It worked great for me!") are never good enough. Evidence-based medicine is the only way to go. Research is ongoing, so like everything else in the "health world," we progress and change as we find new things out. But I can promise you that Tony Robbins will NOT be the first person to tell the world about something wonderful in health and nutrition. Bottom line: DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH USING REPUTABLE RESOURCES BEFORE INVESTING INTO "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" PRODUCTS WHETHER BE NUTRITIONAL, MOTIVATIONAL OR ANYTHING ELSE.

Just to let you know, I don't buy any of the products. I do things all on my own with produce you can buy at any supermarket. I haven't spent any money on this stuff, and I can still do all of it, so it's not like purchasing the products is necessary. Also, he's certainly not the only one to be talking about this stuff, it's all over the place in different forms. (I'm basically a vegan, plus/minus a couple things.)

Date: September 16, 2003 08:05AM

Its interesting, for quite a while there have been some posts on the Tony Robbins board, asking questions about Robbins, and his techniques, etc. (I USED to be a "follower" of TR's ideas many years ago, and now am still trying to figure out his techniques).

It has been a very interesting, as there were maybe 10 people there who would criticize some things about Robbins, whereas many others would just attack anyone who would criticize him.
But for the most part, the Moderators would let people criticize Robbins a bit, and only banned one person, while WARNING people a few times to stop allegedly "bashing Tony".

Just yesterday, they started deleting and censoring posts, and told people to leave their forum, and they banned another person.
This is right around the time people were getting very explicit in explaining the advanced Sales techniques of Robbins and his inner circle.

I wonder, when does a Group become a Cult? Where is the moment? Is it when people are no longer allowed to criticize the leader?

Robbins seems to use many so-called "Mind-Control" techniques, and is getting into many dubious other things these days. Robbins has declared he wants to be a Billionaire, so that money has to come from somewhere, so i get a sense he is turning up the juice, to get even more cash out of his customers.

I wonder, is Robbins actually a type of "cultish group" right now, or just a really intense Group? Does anyone think he might be making the first moves from merely a "Cult of Personality", to something much more?

Robbins is the most manipulative person i have EVER come across in my entire life. I have never noticed someone so skilled in the Arts of Manipulation as he is.
I wonder, is the guy running a "cultlike group" already?
What do you think?

Here is a good thread on SOME of Robbins techniques called Unconscious Influence.
[www.tonyrobbins.com]

(Below is an excerpt from a post describing ONE of Robbins MANY DIFFERENT Sales techniques.)
[www.tonyrobbins.com]

Yes, there is very powerful persuasion going on underneath the surface with Tony and the sales people at his seminar. Here is a little of my story:
So I am in the hallway / lobby area and up comes "Jason" (I cant remember his name, so this is made up). Jason asks me some personal questions and "engages" me. I thought he was really cool, and he lets me know that he is on Tony's MUST team. (I know now that the MUST team is actually a very well trained sales team) I am impressed that he is on this team because he was really young, and was inspired by the fact that he was traveling around the world with Tony and the rest of the team.

He then asks me about Hawaii. (This was Life Mastery which was taking place next month in September) I told him that I really did not want to go, because of the money, but was considering going when my money situation was better off.
NOW FOR A LESSON ON HOW TO SELL SOMEONE USING TR'S TECHNOLOGY:
What Jason did next was unsuspecting and brilliant at the same time. I did not learn about what he did until a year later when I worked for an Anthony Robbins and Associates franchise and took the Power to Influence seminar.

Jason asked me what was most important to me in life. A very deep question, and one I had to think about. I told him that helping people was very important to me. I told him that learning and growing was very important. A relationship etc... He then asked me what I would do anything to move away from (i.e. pain).
For me, I would move away from embarrassment, lonliness etc..

What Jason had just done, was get my values. Both moving toward values and moving away. While he was doing this, I have to admit that I thought he was coaching me and helping me, which I loved.

Next, he dug and found some pain in my life. He found out that I absolutely hated my job. I wanted to surround myself with new people becasue I was not growing, etc...

Now, armed with this very powerful information, Jason brought up Mastery University again. He is what the conversation looked like:

Jason: You know Jerry, I know you do not want to go to Mastery next month, and you dont have to...Let me ask you a question. If by going to Mastery, you could ultimately help people the way that you want, learn and grow in the way that you really want, get that girlfriend that you really want, would you consider going?

Jerry: (totally hooked on what he was saying, and unbeleivably excited...he just repeated back EXACTLY what I told him that I wanted...THUS ANCHORING MY HIGHEST VALUES IN LIFE to MASTERY UNIVERSITY) Hell yeah!, but I cant really afford it.

Jason: Jerry, I know you cant afford it right now. Let me know this, if money were not an option RIGHT NOW, would you go?

Jerry: Yes, I definately would. But I dont have the money, and have some major problems with money.

Jason: You know, you could take care of those problems at Wealth Mastery.

Jerry: (Really wanting to solve my problem) I can?

Jason: Yes! At Wealth Mastery you will learn........(goes on and pitches W Mastery and anchors that as a solution to my financial problems)

At this point I was seeing Mastery University as THE solution to all of my problems. The one thing that was holing me back even at this point was still the money. I wanted it taken care of. And I did not think that by going to Life Mastery in Hawaii (the next month) was even near the solution for that. Jason catches on to this and...

Jason: You know Jerry, at Life Mastery, Tony has a day where he teaches you about wealth.

Jerry: He does? Really?

Jason: Yes! Here is another question. If you DONT go to Mastery, knowing that it can solve you problem, you agree that it can solve you problem right?

Jerry: Yes, definitely.

Jason: Great, If you DONT go to Mastery, knowing that it can SOLVE you problem, what will it cost you?

After I told him the answers to that, and doing a mini-dickens on me, I gave him a check for $2,000 down and a promise that I was going to Life Mastery next month as well as Date w Destiny and Wealth Mastery.

TO LIFE MASTERY

To get to Life Mastery I had to pay $4,500 cash and get my flight and room taken care of within a month, which I did. The total was right around $6,500 for this event only. What had really sold me on this event was that Tony was going to talk about Wealth. I really needed that, and the primary reason I signed up.

Well, to make a long story short, Tony never even mentioned the word "wealth" at that seminar. The part in the program where he was supposed to teach it, he skipped doing a half day of dancing and physiology. I was stunned and shocked. I walked out of the event and around the beach a little realizing that I was in a very dire financial situation having just spent $6,500 on, just a good time. Yeah there was some cool stuff I learned at that program, but not what I really needed at that point in my life. It was NOT worth the money in my opinion.

I got back home after the event and inquired about how to get some of my money back. I was very unhappy. Their main excuse was: "this is a multi program package, just because Life Mastery was not worth the $4,500 does not mean that the other programs will not make up for it." After many calls, and them not budging, I backed off.

Tony does this stuff way better than my friend "jason" too. Watch at the end of his Mastery "pitch" when he has EVERYBODY stand. "Now make a DECISION, RIGHT NOW (embedded commands that he has continuously anchored throughout the entire weekend) whether you are going to go. If not you have my respect, but (ignores his but-buster rule) if you do great. Now, as you remain standing I want you to think about what is most important to you in life...." (then he goes and casually, elegently anchors Mastery University to what is most important to you in life. Why do you think people run to the Mastery table when he tells them to go? If you were about to get what is most important to you life, you would run too...with your credit card in front of you.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 16, 2003 10:41PM

This article may give some additional clues. See if it applies to your situation. Its long but well worth reading.

[www.globalserve.net]

Date: September 17, 2003 09:37AM

corboy
that TR probably uses.

There is a first class reseach scientist at University of California San Francisco, who has spent 25 years studying micro-expressions of the human face. His name is Paul Ekman. For years, his research was pretty much ignored, but now he is in heavy demand by intelligence experts and police departments, because Ekman has mapped the human face and can identify facial expressions that correspond to specific emotional states. You can use his work to determine, FROM FACIAL EXPRESSIONS WE DO NOT EVEN KNOW WE ARE USING, what we are actually feeling--what really excites us, what really scares us.

I am familiar with Ekman, and i want to read his new book.

The thing about Robbins, is that he and his people are very very smart.
They will use whatever the "latest" techniques they can get their hands on.

I see Robbins using many techniques of the professional film actor these days.

A film actor can take any text, any script, and make it seem "real". That is their "skill", and it can be practiced. They could be conmen if they wanted to.

I have heard many stories on the Robbins board of how at a certain Seminar in Hawaii, he told everyone how his wife Becky was his soulmate for life, etc etc. He supposedly went on about this for a very long time.
(Robbins sells relationship advice as well.)

Then only a couple months later he was divorced.

Now in Get The Edge, he says he thought long and hard about getting a divorce, and waited until the kids had grown up.

Does this add up? Does it make sense?
Wouldn't his marriage have been in serious trouble for a very long time before the divorce?

Anyway, my point is that he was able to tell that stuff at his seminar and have it be TOTALLY CONVINCING.

I see him using the techniques of the professional actor these days. The guy is very con-vincing.

I would imagine, his people get the latest training in ALL these types of things, and then some.
Its really quite an amazing thing to study.

Coz

These 2 threads go into the details of some of this stuff. Many key posts were deleted

Does Tony bullsh*t us?

[www.tonyrobbins.com]

[www.tonyrobbins.com]

Date: September 18, 2003 11:32PM

Another tactic of Robbins is to use Free Seminar Workers at his events, called "Crews".
How it works is that people spend their own money for transport, lodging, etc, and come and WORK at his seminars from morning to late at night, for many days, FOR FREE!!!
Can you imagine?

Robbins charges a small fortune to attend his seminars, and in a bigger seminar could EASILY be making God knows how much for himself in a weekend!!! Any estimates?
Yet, he chooses not to shell out a few tens of thousands to pay for these same folks to work his events. What is his motivation for this?

Is it a "game"? As in, "i bet you I could get people to come a work for me for free, and pay their own way, AND BE THRILLED about it!"
Can you imagine the skill it takes to get people this excited?

Some of the folks who do "CREW", have been to many of his events, over and over, and are so deeply conditioned it is truly unbelievable.
There is a profound "enraptured attention" for their leader.

Coz

Current Page: 5 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.