Current Page: 34 of 34
Mind Over Mood by Padesky www.beckinstitute.org/cbtstore/cbt-books
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 05, 2012 12:41AM

Some have asked, where to find some books that might be helpful a bit, that are not just upselling LGAT seminars and crap like Robbins and the self-help scammers?
There are some decent books and materials of course.

These 2 books are free at most libraries, and have good reviews. Of course, one doesn't need to run off and buy anything, just go to the library.

Mind Over Mood by Greenberger/Padesky
The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns.

Do these books promise to solve all life problems by magic and turn you into a millionaire without effort? Of course not, that is what the scammers claim so they can scam you.
But these books can actually help some people, in some ways.

Just for reference, here is a general list of books for the public that have been recommended by licensed and accredited professionals. [www.beckinstitute.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Psychosis after a Tony Robbins Seminar??
Posted by: Blastmaster ()
Date: November 28, 2012 08:58PM

I once read an absolutely hilarious review of a Robbins seminar (UPW from memory), somewhere on the net, ( cant find it for some reason) .

Only part I remember wasd the writer stating that Robbins "looked like a cross between Donny Osmond and an NFL Linebacker", and other comments about his enormous jaw and teeth, shuffling around the stage, etc with his cute "Aww Shucks" type demeanor, and the overall sad theatre it was, with everyone uncomfortably sitting in cheap plastic chairs, clutching their shabbily put together seminar note folders in a run down, dusty auditorium, in a place like Detroit or Chicago.

It was a very objective and truthful review, the write obviously wasnt taken in by the BS.

I havent been able to locate it since, but if/when I do I will post it here.

It was absolutely hilarious.

Posted by: Patrick.L ()
Date: November 07, 2016 07:02PM

Hey everybody,
I am from Germany and I’ve been to a UPW Robbins event. My English is not very good, sorry about that. I’ve read this thread. It’s very interesting.
Before you read on, I’d like to say that the negative far outweigh the positive about this guy and that the government should intervene to stop this kind of mass manipulation/hypnotizes in my opinion. Or at least to watch very closely people like him.
Now, my humble opinion about Mister Salesman Robbins (which is not his real name):

NEGATIF:
I think he is a master manipulator. He is a huge big manipulator, one of the very best maybe.
• Before I went to an UPW event I’ve read a couple of pdfs and listened to PP2. I liked the PDFs but found him to be manipulating in his audios in a sort of “American style turbo capitalistic marketing cheesy way”. ;)
• When I was at the event called UPW I felt manipulated. Especially when he tried to put people in state and then said we should sign for DWD program. Also I’ve seen a guy trying to sell 50’000 USD program to attend his entire event or to be with Tony or Something. It’s really disturbing. It’s nearly criminal. Also you can pay people to coach you. Funny, I went to one just to see what it was about and said I was still a student and have no money. Needless to say, he immediately lost interest.
• Also, the last day, Tony wasn’t even there and they talked about how to eat better. It was really a huge scam, with no scientific proof whatsoever. If he or his associates knew something great about biology that the scientific community doesn’t know about, why doesn’t he just go ahead and teach at Oxford a couple of times and then get his Nobel Price and save all of Africa? I have to say that on the last day some people left.
• His salesmen are strange people, definitively not people you want in your life or around you. Weirdos. Losers. Etc…

POSITIF:
I learned quite a lot from his pdfs. Examples:
• Fear of not being loved is holding me back!
• People are emotionally motivated and not rationally!
• The RPM system, meaning I write down my goals and then state WHY I want to do it is great and helped me a lot. It’s really good to ask oneself why I want to do that and to look for good emotions to keep use going. This is good.
• Being in State and his techniques to get in state (Physiology, Focus, and Language) helped me numerous times.
• A couple of things he said helped me like: Don’t take a decision based on fear. Life is a paradox. Life means growing. Emotions are the most important thing in life to get going. Meaning is totally subjective.
• His 6 humans need sound nice, but I doubt their validity. So so.
• His Pain/Gain principal can be useful. (I know, he didn’t invent his stuff)
• His morning routine. Get moving, be grateful, visualize success, mantras and exercise (run).

MY RECOMMANDATIONS:
• Don’t read, listen, attend or buy anything from him.
• However, if you like some of his techniques just get his pdfs from his internet. Know that they are written by a ruthless business man who stops at nothing to get you.

Posted by: RealityRevisited ()
Date: June 18, 2017 09:38PM

Hi all

I keep an eye on this forum, and thank you Patrick for your recent post about the negatives and positives you got from you Tony Robbins UPW seminar.

I did UPW and WM, and then finally the DWD seminar. Three of the big Tony R events. This was back in 2007-2008 when I was a single Mum working part time, and really doing it tough financially. UPW was like a rock concert where I got so sleep deprived and totally out of it from the love bombing, lack of food, fire walking and mass hypnosis that I signed up for the several thousand dollar DWD seminar. I didn't have the money, so I borrowed it off family, shameful to think I was that sucked in. I didn't finish DWD because I got taken away in an ambulance to a psychiatric ward. At 35 years of age, I had my first psychosis ever, and spent months in hospital and out patient therapy afterwards recovering. I lost my job as I was too ill to work, and somehow my kids and I got by with a disability pension for the next few months.

I had no history of this kind of illness in my life, and I was looking to improve my life when I signed up for a Tony Robbins event. If any of you are ever thinking of signing up for a Tony Robbins seminar, book, audio program, or whatever please know these 2 things : (1) None of the material is original to his organisation, you can learn all of it on Google or by buying psychology texts; and (2) The Tony Robbins machine is totally geared to get whatever money you have no matter what the cost to get you to buy any of his products

I know now that Tony Robbins runs an unethical organisation that takes people's money, and no matter how badly damaged people are after a program, there is NO help, follow up, acknowledgement or refund of money for days lost due to you being put in the looney bin when the "training" tips you off the deep end.

My father is a psychiatric professional and was wholly unsurprised by my experience, desipte me never having had an issue. He said they often had patients admitted who had been to some self improvement seminar and basically become psychotic due to the lack of sleep, lack of food, mass hypnosis and other techniques used. The industry is unregulated and I think this is wrong. My recovery certainly cost the Australian health system a lot of money. That was nine years ago now, and I have not had a psychosis since. Be warned, Tony Robbins runs a very damaging bunch of seminars

Take care all
RealityRevisited

Re: Psychosis after a Tony Robbins Seminar?
Posted by: RealityRevisited ()
Date: June 18, 2017 09:41PM

Hi all

I keep an eye on this forum, and thank you Patrick for your recent post about the negatives and positives you got from you Tony Robbins UPW seminar.

I did UPW and WM, and then finally the DWD seminar. Three of the big Tony R events. This was back in 2007-2008 when I was a single Mum working part time, and really doing it tough financially. UPW was like a rock concert where I got so sleep deprived and totally out of it from the love bombing, lack of food, fire walking and mass hypnosis that I signed up for the several thousand dollar DWD seminar. I didn't have the money, so I borrowed it off family, shameful to think I was that sucked in. I didn't finish DWD because I got taken away in an ambulance to a psychiatric ward. At 35 years of age, I had my first psychosis ever, and spent months in hospital and out patient therapy afterwards recovering. I lost my job as I was too ill to work, and somehow my kids and I got by with a disability pension for the next few months.

I had no history of this kind of illness in my life, and I was looking to improve my life when I signed up for a Tony Robbins event. If any of you are ever thinking of signing up for a Tony Robbins seminar, book, audio program, or whatever please know these 2 things : (1) None of the material is original to his organisation, you can learn all of it on Google or by buying psychology texts; and (2) The Tony Robbins machine is totally geared to get whatever money you have no matter what the cost to get you to buy any of his products

I know now that Tony Robbins runs an unethical organisation that takes people's money, and no matter how badly damaged people are after a program, there is NO help, follow up, acknowledgement or refund of money for days lost due to you being put in the looney bin when the "training" tips you off the deep end.

My father is a psychiatric professional and was wholly unsurprised by my experience, desipte me never having had an issue. He said they often had patients admitted who had been to some self improvement seminar and basically become psychotic due to the lack of sleep, lack of food, mass hypnosis and other techniques used. The industry is unregulated and I think this is wrong. My recovery certainly cost the Australian health system a lot of money. That was nine years ago now, and I have not had a psychosis since. Be warned, Tony Robbins runs a very damaging bunch of seminars

Take care all
RealityRevisited

Tony Robbins Reportedly Invalidates Seminar Attendee in Public
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 24, 2018 08:43PM

Tony Robbins Made Controversial #MeToo Comments, Angering His Own Fans

"You shouldn't throw that stone if you live in a fucking glass house," the motivational speaker said.

[www.vice.com]

McCool told VICE over the phone that she felt compelled to speak up after hearing Robbins’s remarks. McCool, who said she was a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and physical violence herself, recalled what angered her: "What I heard him say was #MeToo is great and all, but it's being used by all these women who don't want to deal with their own problems and they think being a victim is a way to work out their pain by making their perpetrators suffer and that doesn't help them. It happened years ago and they need to let it go."

This brought out something in her. "I was horrified in a sense that, ‘Oh My God, Tony Robbins, this great guy, just has it all wrong.’ I stood up and started yelling, ‘You've got it all wrong!’"

As seen in the video, Robbins told her, “I’m not knocking the #MeToo movement, I’m knocking victimhood," and asked the audience to "consider what its impact is." He went on to say that "anger is not empowerment," adding, "Who should throw the stone? You shouldn't throw that stone if you live in a fucking glass house. Is there any one of us that hasn't done something that we prefer we'd not or that we're embarrassed by or that was hurtful even if if we didn't intend it to?"

He continued: "If you use the #MeToo movement to try to get significance and certainty by attacking and destroying someone else […] all you’ve done is basically use a drug called significance to make yourself feel good.”

McCool replied, “I hear you mischaracterizing the #MeToo movement. Certainly there are people who are using it for their own personal devices, but there are also a significant number of people who are using it not to relive whatever may have happened to them, but to make it safe for the young women […] so that they don’t have to feel unsafe.” After a round of applause, she continued: “And I think you do the whole movement a disservice by characterizing it the way you have. I just want to say, Tony, I love you.”
The two then went back and forth in an exchange where Robbins said, "I don't feel attacked" and that she was “using it differently than some other people.” He then did an exercise where he told her to hold out her fist, then pushed her fist with his own to make the point that “when you push someone else it doesn’t make you more safe, it just makes them angry.”

Of the pushing, McCool said, “I thought, 'OK, we're going to fist bump.' Then he started pushing me. I thought he wanted me to show how strong I could be and push back, but that's not what he wanted. He wanted me to move backward.” She went on: “[I was] thinking he's going to transform it into some kind of awareness. I don't know, it's Tony Robbins, there's going to be some lesson here that's gonna be useful to me. I initially started pushing back but he immediately pushed back harder. There was no way. He was going to knock me on my ass if I didn't step backward so I quit pushing against him, I just started walking backward. As long as he was pushing me, I was moving.”

Nine of the 11 attendees VICE spoke to brought up how Robbins’s larger size and his physical contact with her seemed almost intimidating. “He’s a very large man so she looks tiny next to him, and then he starts pushing her, not to be abusive but pushing her as an interaction,” recalled Logan Wick of Austin, who has been a follower of Robbins for eight years and has gone to four of his seminars. "In that moment, when you’re talking about #MeToo and you’re telling a woman and you’re pushing against her and you’re very large—no matter what size man you are, you shouldn’t be doing that in this context.”

For the rest of the story read here.

[www.vice.com]

Current Page: 34 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.