Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: People KnowHow
Posted by: jtaylormade ()
Date: August 18, 2009 11:03PM

bluedevil

What else can I say?

Hmmm... how about addressing this

"THE owner of a company behind a self-help course attended by a woman who jumped naked to her death just days later admitted yesterday that its procedures and staff were "inadequate" -- and remain so, more than 3½ years after her death."

or this

To quote from a report, "The State Coroner's Court in Glebe was told that none of the teachers or support team at Turning Point had formal qualifications in psychotherapy or counseling to conduct the courses, during which people often became distraught."

Did you see the licenses of the people who lead you, or did you take their word for it? Did you read the link that John provided? Have you read the many 1st hand accounts on this board of other victims? Not everyone walks away happy and your People Know How isnt anything new or different or unique. Do some research, and by all means dont just stop at the Rick Ross site, google some things you might actually be surprised or horrified at what you find. Your staunch defense of People Know How is not much different than any other apologist that comes to these forums to defend their own LGAT.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2009 11:06PM by jtaylormade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kukuruza ()
Date: August 18, 2009 11:44PM

Thanks!

Date: August 30, 2009 11:44AM

60 Minutes will be running a segment on Turning Point tonight.
Transcripts will be available sometime afterward on the website.
Not sure if video will be available.

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: August 30, 2009 12:17PM

It will be available. Soon.

John

Date: August 30, 2009 08:53PM

Did I mention "soon"?

To view the programme, click here. Very well done report, too.

John

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: August 30, 2009 10:09PM

John Fox, thanks for the video. I saw everything but the last 3 minutes (glitch?). I also want to thank The CAIC in Australia for following this so closely.

That video on 60 minutes will be DEVESTATING to The Turning Point course and hopefully the fiends who run People Knowhow.

I hope the courts investigate this group.

You should post the link at Cultnews as well, but knowing you, it is already there. Good job!

What out for those Cane toads, mate.

Date: August 30, 2009 10:25PM

Hmmm. Must have been a glitch. Try again and see how you go.

The good news is that the younger generation have a natural tendency to do a Google search for something they are interested in. Hopefully the availability of the information will assist others in the future.

John

Posted by: jake440 ()
Date: September 03, 2009 05:26AM

A good ol'-fashioned lynchin' is real good fun, ain't it? Dust off those ol' reliable stereotypes, switch off those annoying parts of the brain like reasoning, balance, looking for what's really going on instead of believing newspapers and TV, evidence instead of tabloid prejudice, and so on and so forth. Heck, a lynchin' demands that we get rid of all those annoyin' shades of grey - man oh man, it just has to be black or white, and if we (rightly) condemn most LGATs, then let's throw the baby out with the bathwater and condemn them all. It just feels so good.

Over the years I've done most of the LGATs (Large Group Awareness Trainings), and boy, do I agree with just about everything written in these Forums - rip-off artists, fakes, cult behaviors, scammers, etc etc etc. But a few years ago I was passing through Australia and did this course on a local friend's recommendation. What I found was 18 people on the course (not exactly the "Large Group" of the classical LGAT), easy hours, I could take a piss when I wanted, and straightforward self-enquiry and self-awareness stuff. Relaxed, no jargon or cult behavior, no pressure to stay involved, new and useful information, and heck, I have to say it, competent staff. When I checked a few days ago with an acquaintance of mine in Sydney whose brother did this course earlier this year, he said things were still the same.

I really sympathise with the family of the woman who committed suicide, but heck, the stark truth is that in a random world we can't control everything - if someone appears OK before and during a course, what do you do? Hire a psychologist at 150 bucks an hour to do hours of interviews with each of the 18 people who want to do the course? In the last 40 years I know of 4 people who've had psychotic episodes during or after meditation Retreats - one of them with the Catholic church. So what do we do with this scandalous, appalling information? Ban meditation? Ban meditation Retreats? I've got it - we'll ban the Catholic church! (Fine by me, as long as we ban the Born-agains as well).

This angle on things must really annoy John Fox, jtaylormade, Sparky etc - heck, I just have to be an apologist for this bunch instead of a superannuated hippy living in the backwoods. It just feel so good to haul out that ol' judgement and condemnation - to feel that fire in the veins as we point the finger.

Get it straight folks. We're trying to move on from a world where money is King, where violence is inevitable, where war is the answer to everything, where our so-called Leaders lie so often it's routine, where love and compassion are sneered at. This means experimentation, this means imperfection, this means unpredictability (and sometimes tragedy). This means shades of grey. Get used to it, folks.

Date: December 11, 2009 04:48AM

UPDATE on People Knowhow and The Turning Point LGAT that cost Ms. Lawrence's life:

[apnews.excite.com]

From the above link:

SYDNEY (AP) - An Australian coroner said Tuesday that participation in an intense self-help course led a woman to suffer a psychotic breakdown before she stripped naked and leaped to her death from an office window in front of horrified co-workers.

The coroner's findings come four years after 34-year-old Rebekah Lawrence's death in Sydney, providing a sense of relief to family members who had long argued the young woman never would have killed herself if not for her participation in a seminar called The Turning Point.

"The evidence is overwhelming that the act of stepping out of a window to her death was the tragic culmination of a developing psychosis that had its origins in a self-development course known as 'The Turning Point,'" Deputy State Coroner Malcolm MacPherson said as he read his findings.

In Australia, a coroner investigates the circumstances of unusual deaths in court-like proceedings called an inquest and can recommend further action by police or prosecutors if warranted.

MacPherson did not recommend any charges be filed against Turning Point officials. But he did suggest that laws be drafted to require that those offering self-development seminars be qualified and accredited.

"Rebekah's death isn't in vain - it's helped a lot of people who may have come to the same grim end in the future," Lawrence's husband, David Booth, said outside court. "I'm not angry, because they didn't mean to do it. It's just unqualified people doing damaging things to people's minds."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2009 04:53AM by Sparky.

Date: December 11, 2009 04:50AM

Isn't jake440 just a scream?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.