Current Page: 4 of 28
Re: NXIVM and the Dalai Lama
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 23, 2009 02:37AM

Perhaps through the financial disclosure documents filed by the Dalai Lama's various charities.

A daunting task for some researcher.

If true, it's no big surprise.

The Dalai Lama accepted more than one million dollars from cult leader Shoko Asahara, now sentenced to death for gassing the Tokyo subway system.

Apparently that bought Asahara some photo opportunities, kind words, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 23, 2009 05:30AM

There was a news report about a strange and suspicious comment by a "Clare Bronfman" in a news article, about the money side of things...hopefully someone will look into it further.

By Brian Etkin
One can't believe everything presented by the media, the Dalai Lama said, gesturing as if his nose were growing like Pinocchio's.

"Where there be doubt, make clear," the Dalai Lama said, referring to the WEFC, whose conceptual founder, Keith Raniere, is the founder of NXIVM. "All your work must be transparent."

Detractors say NXIVM (pronounced NEX-ee-um) is a cultlike organization that employs psychologically damaging mind-control techniques. Raniere's supporters say those accusations are unfounded. Raniere came on stage to receive a khata from the Dalai Lama near the event's end.

Clare Bronfman, co-founder of the WEFC along with her sister, Sara - the Seagram Liquor heiresses who are involved with NXIVM - told the audience the WEFC lost $142,749 on the event because of the earlier cancellation.

"I apologize we have no gifts in that way," Clare Bronfman told the Dalai Lama on stage. The Dalai Lama replied he doesn't accept nor want money for public talks or teachings.

Attendees questioned why finances were a point of emphasis. Dave LaPointe, 44, of Fort Ann, said a financial accounting was done the three other times he saw the Dalai Lama speak, though not as overtly as at this event.

"I find the ending rather embarrassing. I'm not sure that's the time for the accounting of this event," said Jo Raney, of East Chatham.

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: July 23, 2009 05:41AM

Just in case nobody's pointed it out yet, the Bronfman's owe their fortune to being mixed up with Meyer Lansky and Organized Crime. This is some shady, shady stuff, and it is no coincidence that the guys who just pulled off the GOP's coup in the New York legislature are mixed up with this NXIVM group and the DL. This is much bigger than Raniere's personality cult.

It is probably also not a coincidence that the hooker who brought down Elliott Spitzer was immediately provided with a job by Robert Thurman, the Dalai Lama's best buddy. And, gee, who would imagine such a thing happening in the same state where the GOP holds power in NYC due to Bloomberg's connections to Chairman Fred and Social Therapy cult and its zombie-like voting bloc.

Posted by: pinkunicorn ()
Date: July 23, 2009 09:40AM

bigskeptic
I gave up trying to convince these people of anything. Although it is worrisome, in my experience, it is impossible to sway their minds. It is bizarre that a group who takes your money, mind and family can be something a person wants to stick with.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious about some things. Why do you think that it is "impossible" to sway their minds?

Is it because it uses mind-control techniques? Do you think your friends were more susceptible to its message because of their own religious (or lack thereof) background, or were they at some low point in their life? What made you and your friends want to join an organization that had such a bad press, particularly concerning the leader, surrounding it?

Date: July 23, 2009 09:21PM

It is possible to talk to "cult" members and in some cases sway them, that is cause them to reconsider their commitment to the group.

But such a discussion is often quite difficult, depending upon group control and influence.

Any intervention effort takes time and may involve many hours of discussion.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Date: July 24, 2009 10:21AM

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. In order to sway them, you have to convince them that what they have joined is negatively impacting their life, that it is "destructive" using NXIVM terminology. You have to essentially convince them using the language of the "cult" against itself. If they are suffering from being "programmed" or are under the influence of certain "mind control" techniques such that any type of negative association with their group is implicitly rejected, how do you break that illusion?

Date: July 24, 2009 10:09PM

Posted by: bigskeptic ()
Date: July 28, 2009 01:26AM

I never joined the group, but several people I worked with did and when my employment became condidional on taking the classes, I quit my job. I did, however, keep in touch with them. I've seen, first hand, what this group can do to families, marriages and finances. I have not been successful with even having a regular discussion about the group with any member. It is a very tight knit group that is almost like a "family". These people associate themselves with other members almost exclusively. All of the members I know are bright, successful professional people who are truely nice, respectable members of our community. My opinion? They began taking classes for whatever reason and this group became a replacement for their real loved ones to some degree. I did hear of one person who left because of a money issue... they owed this member money and didn't pay as much as they were supposed to. That made this person angry and THEN they left the group.

Date: July 29, 2009 09:03AM

I don't get it. It seems to me just like "paid friendship". We're cool. We're elite. We can trust each other. Everyone else just doesn't get it.

Their ethics is nothing special. In fact, the jargon they use is rather vague and impractical. They tend to use the same terminology, and apply these seemingly self-defined, all-encompassing terms to various different situations. For example, they talk about "objectification" of people being "destructive" to humanity, and that being a sort of "end-all" for why people mistreat others. It is simplistic and naive to me. They don't seem to understand simple concepts such as the difference between cause and effect and correlation.

I'm just trying to figure out what is so special about it that people can spend so much of their time and money in it. Why can't they just be friends?

Posted by: Cheeseball ()
Date: August 10, 2009 07:26AM

Have you guys listened to this? It's a five parts interview with the Bronfman's sisters about MXIVM and the Dalai Lama.

[www.youtube.com]

Current Page: 4 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.