Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I need help
Posted by: citygirl ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:40AM

My daughter works for Wright Institude of Higher Learning. She has her Master's degree, and they have reduced her to a coach. I had no idea this could be a cult. I have told her my findings, and we both cried, and she said I have every right to be mad. We are talking, however, she is in Chicago, and I am in Los Angeles. I will be going there in May. How do I handle this. I am so scared, she is a wonderful girl, and I want her to leave.

Concered Mother

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need help
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 21, 2009 09:15AM

See [www.culteducation.com]

This information may be helpful in sorting through the situation.

Date: April 21, 2009 11:32PM

Thanks,

I am not at that point. I will be seeing my daughter in May, and we have started talking about this. I will try and work it out myself. This would only make her turn against me.....

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 22, 2009 12:41AM

Note some of the links specifically:

See "warning signs" -- [www.culteducation.com]

Note "coping strategies" at [www.culteducation.com]

To better understand the definition of a "cult" and how they operate see [www.culteducation.com]

To better understand coercive persuasion techniques see [www.culteducation.com]

Be very careful what you say.

Date: April 22, 2009 02:08AM

I have started speaking with her. She will call me this week to continue the conversation. I know she doesn't want to come home yet. I feel this group allows her freedom, she dates on her own, her Dad visited in March over her B-day, and although she works long hours, she has her own life.

I read your links, and thanks, I needed information. I will know more when I again see her life style. She has her own place, they have not taken monatary things from her, (as some posted), that's just not true. This might seem "cult like", but, nothing as some are saying. I went to a 2 day program, and left after the first day, although aggressive, I left, and nothing was said. They have taken away her degree's, as she is a Physcotheripist, and can only practice as a coach, which distrubs both of us. I really appreciate your feedback, this is a very trying time.

Date: April 22, 2009 04:26AM

Do you feel this is actually a cult? Have you researched it, or helped anyone get out. I am starting to believe it is, as my daughter just emailed me, and told me she was angry I wanted her to come out. I told her no problem, it's fine, I'll visit you.

Posted by: Samuel ()
Date: April 22, 2009 08:16AM

citygirl
I have started speaking with her. She will call me this week to continue the conversation. I know she doesn't want to come home yet. I feel this group allows her freedom, she dates on her own, her Dad visited in March over her B-day, and although she works long hours, she has her own life.

I read your links, and thanks, I needed information. I will know more when I again see her life style. She has her own place, they have not taken monatary things from her, (as some posted), that's just not true. This might seem "cult like", but, nothing as some are saying. I went to a 2 day program, and left after the first day, although aggressive, I left, and nothing was said. They have taken away her degree's, as she is a Physcotheripist, and can only practice as a coach, which distrubs both of us. I really appreciate your feedback, this is a very trying time.

What do you mean "They have taken away her degree's?"

Date: April 23, 2009 01:15AM

She still has her degree's, but cannot use them there, as they switched to coaching. The fact is, if she wanted to do Physcotherapy on her own and still works for them, she can't. Had to sign something. She could still do her true profession, but not while working there. I worry if they are not accredited, she could jeprodize her intigrity as a Physcotheripist.

Date: April 30, 2009 11:24AM

I am thinking I was overly dramatic, I spoke with her and she sounded so strong, and like her self.....these and other postings have had me crazy, and I might be over reacting. Will know next month when I visit. Just a Mother concerned......

Posted by: ExLand ()
Date: April 30, 2009 05:16PM

Having read some of the other threads on the wright institute, I believe you have every right to be very concerned about your daughter. From what I've read it is absolutely cult-like!

The other bit of info I have for you, is that when I was involved in a different controversial group, they used traumatic memories to break me down and while I was in that traumatised state my brain formed a parallel new identity. They took advantage of this new identity and tried to stengthen it by indoctrinating it with the groups ideology and values/beliefs. The only reason it didn't work was because I eventually suffered a psychotic breakdown and was thus ejected from the group. After leaving, it took me about three weeks to realise and believe that the group was to blame for what had happened. After that it took me about three months to re-integrate my cult-identity with my original identity with the help of a hypnotherapist. Whilst the two identities were still seperate it was like a living hell, I had two distinct voices in my head which caused me to be delusional. The voice of the cult-identity was initially very strong, louder than my original identities voice, this made things very difficult. Over time and with the help of my therapist I did eventually manage to figure things out and understand how to quiet that cult voice. Every now and then it still pops it ugly head up and tries to plant seeds of doubt in my mind, this is six months down the line. I guess my point is that your daughter may seem normal on the phone because her original identity might be the identity that wishes to phone you, and thus she appears to be her old self. The chances are that when she is at the institute her cult-identity is almost always in charge due to the pressure of the group dynamics at the institute.

I really believe you should get in touch with an exit-counselor or else a trained hypnotherapist whom you can help to educate about the processes involved in thought reform and mind control. Do not get angry with your daughter what ever you do. I remember when my parents first tried to tell me that they had found negative info about the group I was involved with, I didn't want to hear it at all- I was very defensive about it.

Good luck with the visit to her next month, just try to be as loving and caring as you can possibly be, and maybe every now and then try to subtley plant seeds of doubt in her mind about your misgivings about the institute. Most importantly don't try to do this alone- seek professional advice.

Exland

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.