Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: a balanced look at Landmark education
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 28, 2009 02:50AM

Hey SK, are you trying to get yourself booted off of RR.com so you can get promoted within your organization?

You sound just like the other types who show up here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SeanK ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:13AM

For the record Corboy, I am not "trying to get [myself] boosted off of RR.com so that can get promoted within [my] organization." And saying that I "sound just like the other types who show up here," is neither fair nor accurate. I posted this thread because I don't think Landmark deserves much of the criticism it receives. No organization is perfect. We could pick apart any religious group, self help group, or organization for health and wellness and we would find that they are ALL guilty of much of what Landmark has been accused of.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 28, 2009 04:45AM

SK:

The overwhelming majority of community service organizations, counseling professionals, public education programs and support groups don't have a comparable history of problems and complaints.

And why do you keep bring up religion?

Landmark is a privately for-profit company that sells courses or seminars.

Are you trying to say that Landmark is actually in the business of selling "religious" experiences?

You are beginning to offer the same old sing-song posted here by other Landmark apologists.

Posted by: MartinH ()
Date: January 28, 2009 05:23AM

SeanK
For the record Corboy, I am not "trying to get [myself] boosted off of RR.com so that can get promoted within [my] organization." And saying that I "sound just like the other types who show up here," is neither fair nor accurate. I posted this thread because I don't think Landmark deserves much of the criticism it receives. No organization is perfect. We could pick apart any religious group, self help group, or organization for health and wellness and we would find that they are ALL guilty of much of what Landmark has been accused of.

No they are not. Landmark is different.If you were honest, I am sure everybody thinks during the Forum "what a strange and unconfortable place" and has to hide these feelings to stay there.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 28, 2009 05:57AM

SeanK,

Though you might think that religions are culty because of their beliefs, the institutions do not use covert practices to acquire and retain congregants. They put their beliefs out there for anyone to consider. Again, comparing Landmark to religion or to any system of psychotherapy is comparing apples to cars and dogs.

Please read up on modern day "cults" and manipulative groups and individuals.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 28, 2009 06:10AM

[www.cracked.com]

Point #4 is especially pertinent. And the graphics are terrific.

[www.teamtechnology.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 06:14AM by corboy.

Date: January 30, 2009 05:46AM

nettie
SeanK
Look guys, I'm not saying that landmark is a wonderful institution. Their hard sell is certainly disgusting, and much of what they teach is total bullsh!t. That being said, virtually ALL spiritual, religious, and self help institutions are cultic and nonsensical. Landmark is no more odious or destructive than any of the major world religions. All of the criticisms and attacks leveled against landmark can easily be leveled against Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and even psychiatry! So why is Landmark getting such a bad rap?

The Church, Temple and Mosques give to the poor, feed the homeless, run soup kitchens, fund hospitals, etc. Landmark does what with the money they get?????

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: January 31, 2009 02:02PM

no friend of landmark
The Church, Temple and Mosques give to the poor, feed the homeless, run soup kitchens, fund hospitals, etc. Landmark does what with the money they get?????

great question for someone who reasons as seanK does, but I won't hold my breath waiting for an answer.

My lekkie friend used to recite the exact words of SeanK to me about how landmark and churches are the same. I too couldn't reason with her about how different any type of church is, from what landmark really is.

One day, without actually expecting any cooperation from my friend, I invited her to come to church with me. I didn't invite her with the intention of converting her, I wanted to see if she would recognize any differences between a landmark gig, and a church service. I wanted to see if she'd react the same way in a church setting that I saw her 'reacting' at a landmark thing she had attempted to enroll me in. I also wanted her to see a church that actually supported charities, funded hospitals, and feeds homeless people everyday five days a week, year round, unconditionally. I thought she'd see, and come to appreciate the fundamental differences between landmarks motivations, and the general intentions of a church. I mean a church that is transparent, and financially accountable to the people that support it.

She agreed to come with me, and she sat weeping quietly the whole time we were there. She had no explanation as to why she could not stop her tears, but she dismissed it all after her next landmark homework 'party'. It was very surprising for me to see how she was affected, because I thought she had been totally shut off emotionally by that stage of her involvement with landmark.

In any case, she lost her argument, because she saw that landmark cannot be compared to any church. The tears were not a one time thing either, she came a second time with me, to a different church, and her tears started as soon as we walked in the door. Again, uncontrollable and unexplained tears. Just the fact that no one came up and put her down, or psychologically thrashed her for having emotions, should have told her that she was in a place really different from a Landmark show. It should have seemed odd to her that her tears were not used as a deadly weapon against her by anyone in attendance, not even the leader of the church. Sadly, her unexplained tears didn't cause her to try to figure anything out for herself, because landmark doesn't let its followers think..about anything. Its all about programmed control, rehearsed behavior, and maniacal $$ driven recruitment activity. It is an amoral entity that operates as a business, but cons its followers into believing it has the Power of God. Even the lekkies who don't believe in God worship and serve landmark like it is a power much greater than they are. If I were an atheist, I'd want something other than landmark to surrender myself to. Landmark's idea of leadership is a bit too demeaning for my liking.

I haven't seen any people treated the way landmark treats its customers, at any of the churches I've attended, and I've never been told by any church leader that the worth of my integrity rests on how many people I recruit for the church.

When I've questioned the beliefs and teachings of my church, I was given food for thought in a very respectful manner, not threats and belittling for being 'uncoachable'. When I was still questioning, I was still welcome in church, and I was still free to ask whatever questions I had, whenever I wanted. More importantly, I've always been free to come and go as I choose. How would landmark treat someone that did all of the above?

Also, if I want to know how my church spends the money it collects from its members, I just have to ask to see the yearly financial statements, and its all there...I don't get ridiculed or berated for asking either. Nor would I be threatened with legal action for asking for accountability. Nuff said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 02:23PM by ON2 LF.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: February 01, 2009 08:16AM

ON2 LF,

There have been many great informational posts over the years on these threads, but the one you just posted is probably the most profound I've read regarding Religion v. Landmark.

Hope

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 01, 2009 09:36AM

Hope
ON2 LF,

There have been many great informational posts over the years on these threads, but the one you just posted is probably the most profound I've read regarding Religion v. Landmark.

Hope

Ideally, SeanK, or at least one person who thinks as he does, will come to recognize and appreciate how fundamentally different Landmark and Religion are, on more than one level.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.