Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: est -- now they're reminiscing
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: February 03, 2009 09:53AM

John Fox
Just wondering about recent events of late, such as the promo Transformations film and now this new web site.

Perhaps Werner Erhard is on his last legs with ailing health and hence they are busy pro-actively creating a legacy for him before he dies?

Thoughts?

John

i believe the purchase agreement between landmark was 50 million, not a penny less and not a penny more and that
werner was to come back to be the leader of landmark in 2009. could be worh watching for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: h_r ()
Date: February 03, 2009 10:35PM

I agree with patrick-darcy. It would not surprise me in the least if Werner were laying the foundation for a "triumphant" return. Just ick.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 03, 2009 11:20PM

Invade the Caymans

one of a series of modest proposals from Mother Jones Magazine

[www.motherjones.com]

[www.motherjones.com]

Invade the Caymans

In 1983 just 10 percent of America's corporate profits were funneled through places that charge little or no corporate income tax; today more than 25 percent of profits go through tax havens.

The Obama administration could tell the Caymans—now fifth in the world in bank deposits—to repeal its bank secrecy laws or be invaded; since the island nation's total armed forces consists of about 300 police officers, it shouldn't be hard for technicians and auditors, accompanied by a few Marines, to fly in and seize all the records. Bermuda, which relies on the Royal Navy for its military, could be next, and so on.

Long before we get to Switzerland and Luxembourg, their governments should have gotten the message.

Barring gunboat diplomacy (tempting as it is), there is no reason we cannot pass laws to block financial transactions with tax havens or even, Cuba-style, make it a crime for Americans to visit or do business with them without special permission. Congress could declare the hiding of funds a threat to national security and require that anyone with offshore assets disclose them to the irs within 30 days and pay taxes, interest, and penalties within 180 days. For the holdouts, temporary special teams in the irs and Justice Department could speedily pursue civil or criminal charges.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 11:28PM by corboy.

Posted by: laarree ()
Date: February 04, 2009 01:53AM

Thanks for the Mother Jones links, corboy. If only the Obama administration could achieve 10% of what David Cay Johnston proposes, my heart would leap with joy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.