Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
gnostic group - circle for investigation of gnostic anthropology CIGA
Posted by: quest ()
Date: December 10, 2008 11:58AM

Former member of Circle for Investigation of Gnostic Anthropology (CIGA)
(Name withheld)

As a former member of this group, i just want to alert others to what my experience was so they have a better understanding of what they might be getting into with this group. Their view is that the world is corrupt and being run by evil forces and black magic. Their group is the only ones that can help humanity.

Ex-members are referred to as failures, that they did not work on themselves (psychologically) properly. Contact with ex-members is discouraged. Once someone leaves the group, the group no longer has any contact with them or any mediation for why they left. The group is never at fault....

I also believe that the people who make up the group are very idealistic, and the problem is that there is a very subtle control going on over people, it is a gradual process, but people make big life-decisions based on this subtle influence from the group and the main instructors. Then rather than empowering the individual to make clear intelligent choices, a person may make choices based on the interest of the group and its leaders. Then there is a gradual loss of personal and inner freedom.

Below is a list of some examples that happened to me and other students. I am still interested in spirituality and meditation, but this group that I was part of for over ten years caused many problems and anxiety in my life. The psychological scares are there, but I'm a stronger person from it. I have re-married and I'm back on my feet again, I have a good job and life.

1. Their view is that the world is corrupt and being run by evil forces and black magic. Their group are the only ones that can help humanity.

2. Marriage outside the group is not encouraged. Marriage within the group is consided to be more pure.

3. Encouraged not to have too much social life outside the group, this is not spoken about openly but subtlety encouraged.

4. Their group is the purest, all others have gone off the track or are referred to as failed groups, splinter groups etc.

5. They are the keepers of the true way, or have the only direct link with the source of light and wisdom.

6. Suggested not to work too much, part time or non-professional work is preferred so as to put more time and energy into the group and its causes.

7. Academic or artistic study at university is not encouraged, better to put more time into the group than "waste time" on personal ambitions and career goals.

8. Encouraged not to have children, again so more time can go into the group to spread the teaching and help other people.

9. The group Hierarchy rewards sacrifice that members make with "promotions" more responsibilities or more involvement in the inner workings of the groups. They are seen to be more "awake" or conscious.

10. The classes are all run by donations, but there is a lot of pressure to spend money and savings on attending retreats, international congresses, publicity, advertising etc.

11. There is no openness in group meetings for constructive criticism or debate. The group and the hierarchy are never wrong, the groups decision makers cannot be criticised.

12. They feel that they are a chosen select few working for the greater good of humanity, all personal interests or feelings are then suppressed. We are reminded of the great sacrifice and commitment that the group's leaders must make, and that they know better, so we should listen to them and not question authority. Again putting aside "gut" feelings or that something's not right here, eg. "What would I know, these people are better than me, they make greater sacrifices"

13. There is no democracy in meetings, and if there is it is only at face value. Any descent or criticism is treated with indifference, coldness and silence.

14. There is influence from the superiors on where other instructors should live and move to, so as to open more groups in different parts of a city.

15. A person's own gut feelings and personal views are suppressed in favour of the group's cause.

16. Ex-members are referred to as failures, that they did not work on themselves properly, that life or their spouse/family pulled them away, that they worked too much at their job. Contact with ex-members is looked down upon. Once someone leaves the group, the group no longer has any contact with them or any mediation for why they left. The group is never at fault.

17. There are seeds of fear implanted in the minds of members that bad things may happen if they leave the group. That there is black magic working on them, or that bad karma will fall upon them.

18. Members or students are taken aside and spoken to in private by the instructors, to correct their behaviour, their lack of attendance, seriousness, or other less serious matters. The student is intimated, ambushed and sometimes subtly bullied and made to feel like they are in the wrong and that have forgotten the group and the great cause.

19. Advanced students are expected to attend a minimum of twice a week, and take part in other external activates, if they don't they can be asked to leave the group, or they are subtly ostracised from the group. There is a subtle group "shunning" that goes on when someone is not putting in like they should. This mainly comes from the instructor's not so much fellow students.

20. The teachers/instructors use techniques to raise money like saying that the more money you donate the more karma you will pay and therefore be better off and be closer to the teaching.

21. They also say if you are having personal problems with the teaching, you need to go even closer to the teaching and attend more classes. Any doubts or skepticism's are due to ones own ego or black magic. Its is never because there maybe something wrong with the group or its leaders. Even if there is something wrong with its leaders it's still your problem, as you have to get over it. The group is never at fault; the problem always lies with the individual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gnostic group - circle for investigation of gnostic anthropology CIGA
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 11, 2008 03:43AM

Welcome to the RR.com message board, quest.

Does this group advertise or do outreach in any way?

If they post fliers, what do these look like?

Sometimes I see fliers for some sort of gnostic group that are posted on bulletin boards and store windows in my neighborhood. I dont know if this is the same group as the one you're describing.

Date: December 11, 2008 05:45AM

this is their website in australia www.gnosis.org.au
They are a break away from the Gnostic Institute of Anthropology

I belive in the basic principles of teaching about religions, unity, knowledge etc, but then the more you get involved the more they assert influence and control over people. Fear and guilt is a big one.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 11, 2008 09:52PM

So a search for 'all forums' and 'all dates' for 'Samael Aun Weor'
and you will get some information.

[forum.culteducation.com]

And google 'Circle for Investigation of Gnostic Anthropology' and see what you get.

Posted by: Keir ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:16AM

This link might be helpful. I started a topic about them a few years past.

Posted by: Keir ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:22AM

quest
I also believe that the people who make up the group are very idealistic, and the problem is that there is a very subtle control going on over people, it is a gradual process, but people make big life-decisions based on this subtle influence from the group and the main instructors. ...
What you say is true. I have spoken to a number of former memebers from different splinter groups they all pretty much had the same experience.

It is a gradual process. They dont make it obvious. They give you little drops at a time.

(I think also if you hear enough propaganda and rhetoric you'll eventually start believe it. You slowly start to question your notion of reality and decend into their world view.)

Posted by: notanantiGnostic ()
Date: December 17, 2008 07:42AM

My involvement was with Mark Pritchard's so called Gnostic Movement. I can relate to most of what you talk about. The scary thing about the Gnostic Movement thou it is that they make it feel like you are doing all this of your own free will. I feel I was motivated to advance by my desire to be around other people of similar interests and to have a place to explore those interests.

The fact that I was not able to be involved with everything going on in the beginning made me want to get more involved instead of ringing the alarm bells it should have.

I still have an interest in exploring the dream state, meditation and ideas from other religions of the world, as I imagine other former members of Samaelian groups are. Now I am realizing that people need a chance to explore that kind of things in a open, accountable and safe way, as I search for a way to do that.

What I am saying it perhaps there is a way for all of us to come together to do something positive as well as perhaps discourage people to stay away from the teachings of Victor Gomez (Samael Aun Weor).

Just sharing my thoughts.

Date: December 17, 2008 10:30AM

hI notanantiGnostic,
Yes I agree with your sentiments. Even though I am still too sceard to speak agaisnt Samael Aun Weor for fear of the karma it may bring to me.

The Theosophic Society is a good organisation that explores and encourages the individuals search for meaning and truth.

Date: December 17, 2008 09:25PM

Hi Quest,

Good point, although I was only involved with the Gnostic Movement, there talk about Karma really messed me up. What helped me was realizing that they don't know what they are talking about. Everything in the teachings of Samael (which means the grim reaper by the way) comes from another religion or at least another person.

Reading about Karma from the Buddhist or Hindu tradition (which is where the word comes from) would be really helpful. In fact karma only describes one kind of cause and effect, mostly just the circumstance that you born into each lifetime, from what i understand. Other forms of cause and effect exist but it is all meant to be a liberating philosophy. Anyways just Google Karma.

Personally I would not recommend the Theosophic society, Theosophy is the bastardization of eastern philosophy that Victor Gomez started his start, although they are mainly harmless these days. For me they would be too similar to the Gnostic Movement. Just read everything for yourself and try to be as open to as many types of thinking as you can, but of course read them critically.

I hope that helps.

Date: January 25, 2009 04:30AM

Just wanted to let you know I have started a forum to critique the works of Mark H. Pritchard who leads The Gnostic Movement/Gnosticweb, in case anyone was interested.

There isn't any analysis of the books yet, just general comments but i will post more information shortly.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.