Sedona Method and Release Technique
Posted by: TCDk ()
Date: July 13, 2007 04:27PM

Hi All,

First time poster and a brief background first:

I've used and been exposed to first the Release Technique and then the Sedona Method for a few years now. I was never really "heavily" into them (thus far I have not yet attended their live seminars nor do I intend to); while I receive great benefits from using the techniques; but I remain a healthy skeptic.

To be fair, my life has been better b/c of the techniques; but unlike some of the more "faithful" followers I like to question everything and try to find out as much as I can about the "messengers" behind the messages; that's what eventually lead me here and I have discovered some rather un-flattering things about the messengers and their marketing tactics (more on that later).

To QuestionLady, I think what disconnect meant when he said that the techniques "really didn't do anything" could be because the positive changes we experienced in our lives were not attributed ONLY to the use of the techniques; but rather the techniques were just a "helping factor" in us achieving those positive changes. The techniques are not the SOLE factor in us achieving the results we desires; at all time, we remain in control; the positives changes were not "gifts from God" (or in this case "gifts" from the techniques, Larry Crane, Hale Dwoskin or Lester Levenson). Far from it, I've to work hard at it myself and perhaps inspite of not because of the techniques, we've achieved the benefits (maybe that's why disconnect said it could all be just in his head that the techniques work and it's a "placebo" effect?) I think a very important thing to remember is that, after all, it is just a technique! The map is NOT the territory; neither is the "pointer" to the Truth the Truth itself! I sympathize greatly with your situation with your husband, it seems to me that he's got the wrong messages from the course; but then again, as is the messages were never really delievered in a correct fashion...

Too often, seekers (if I can call us that), got the "pointer to the Truth" and the "Truth" confused; that's why humankind was repeatedly warned in the Scriptures in the form of the 2nd Commandment and the fact that the Muslims aren't allowed to have images of the Prophet. I've often questioned the messengers and the second-hand messages that they purportedly deliver; perhaps that's why I was never really too big on organized religions. If one examined what the messages really meant vs. what the "messengers" are doing and how they are delievering it; one would be sorely dissapointed.

Since I've enjoyed great benefits from using the techniques I wanted to learn all I can about it. In my research into Lester Levenson, Larry Crane, and Hale Dwoskin I've uncovered some interesting things. In the name of brevity, I shall only post a few here and more to follow if anyone is really interested.

Right from the start, one of the things that really bothered me was why would anyone charge a sizable amount of money for a technique that could really help people? Lester's explaination in one of this tapes was that in the first few years or so, he used to give away and taught the techniques for free; but because we live in such a capitalistic soceity people are trained not to value anything they can get for free and thus made very little progress when using it. He went on to say that when he started charging people, people's progress with the techniques increased dramatically that's why "he loved us too much not to charge us." So since then, it was decided that the Release Technique would not be released to the public free of charge.

Now this fact is collaborated, though not explicitly, by David Hawkins (yes, the same David Hawkins who wrote Power Vs. Force, another favorite here at this Forum ;) Supposedly at one time David Hawkins lived and worked closely with Lester Levenson in Sedona and in a few of David Hawkins' DVD's he mentioned (without name; but it was clearly to the RT community who he's referring to, and in this case Lester Levenson. In fact, in some of the discussion threads over in the RT and Sedona sites, they talked about this thing between Hawkins vs. Levenson.) that one day he'd asked Lester to give the Technique to the world free of charge because it is a wonderful way of relieving suffering since it can help people to let go of attachments; but all of the sudden this "guru" (i.e. Lester) went into a demonic form and said that "a technique is no good unless people pay for it." and supposedly that's when Hawkins severed all ties with Lester and now consider him as one of the "fallen gurus." Now if you go to Hawkins' book "Truth vs. Falsehood" he also had a few passages about the whole RT & Sedona marketing machine. Now, since I am not enlightened and do not know either Lester Levenson or David Hawkins personally, I really have no way of judging the instance I can only report what I've found out.

As far as the Sedona Method is not endorsed or used by any practicing psychotherapist, that is not true. Patricia Carrington, Ph.D. wrote a book called "The Power of Letting Go" which was her interpretation/version of the release technique and she did gave the source to The Sedona Method.

Now, perhaps the most expensive and the most run-down paperback book I ever own is called "Keys To The Ultimate Freedom" - Thoughts and Talks on Personal Transformation by Lester Levenson edited with a forward by George Cappannelli, Executive Director, The Sedona Institutue. The book is copyrighted 1993 by Hale Dwoskin who according to the Sedona people Lester had willed the method to him; but Larry Crane got the permission to teach the Release Technique. If you examined many of the books (actually more like booklets) that Larry Crane published now, most of the contents are taken from the "Keys" book.

In 1983, Virginia Lloyd published a book called "Choose Freedom" detailing some of her life experiences living in Sedona and learning the method from Lester Levenson. From the back book jacket, Virginia Lloyd is the Director of Training for the Sedona Institute, a non-profit, educational organization founded by Lester Levenson.

It would be interesting to learn when eventually happened to Mr. George Cappanelli and Ms. Virginia Lloyd; but since I've never attended a live RT or Sedona seminar nor had I any dealing with the people over there, I couldn't really tell you. Perhaps those with experiences interacting with them could report back to us?

Anyways this post is getting too long so I am going to stop now. Let's see what the responses are and let's take it from there. Smiles everyone! :)

Date: July 13, 2007 10:57PM

I did the Sedona Method for 3-5 years very faithfully, and honestly, I probably got the most benefit from the first tape - I probably could have skipped the rest and saved myself a lot of money. My question is, if the method works so well, why do you need the next set of tapes, and the next, and the next seminar. The biggest help to me was the statement: you are not your feelings. While this may sound very obvious, I operated as if I was my feelings. Therefore, if I was having a bad feeling (such as anger), I was bad. So being able to separate myself as a person from my feelings was a benefit. However, for me it was not possible to release some feelings on the spot. It just took me a lot longer to work through them - sometimes days or even months. And even though I still have so-called "negative" feelings on a regular basis, I am working with a professional therapist, and I am able to accept myself with the negative feelings and take more appropriate action. Ironically, not feeling like I have to release negative feelings actually helps me to move through them quicker in most cases. And even though I might be angry, I can still be accepting of myself.

While parts of the method may be useful for some people, I think the method is offered as a panacea for all of life's problems. They also tell stories that promote miraculous results on the one hand, then follow immediately by saying, but that's not what's important. As an example, there was a story told about Lester Levenson having gained some wait which he wanted to lose. So he stepped on the scale, and mentally released on the weight, and immediately the scale dropped (I'm guessing) 20 lbs. This was followed by the comment that this is not really important or what the method is about. No? Then why even tell this story. It's like the proverbial carrot at the end of the stick!

Personally, I now avoid all this kinds of groups like the plague.

QE

Posted by: disconnect ()
Date: July 14, 2007 07:19AM

TCDk>That was a fascinating post. I'd like to talk to you more about this stuff, if you'd like. My email is tmagwitch@yahoo.com and [i:b1223ce384]Sedona[/i:b1223ce384] in the subject line will get your email past the spamguard. Man! sending emails to me feels like breaking out of prison.

rrmoderator>I enjoyed your response to my last post, I think it was witty xD

question lady
Hi disconnect. How's it going with the ladies? Well, I hope.

I am honestly trying to understand what you mean but I'm having trouble. First you said that

disconnect
Sedona Method itself doesn't actually do anything.

but also
disconnect
I've experienced great success using it

Are you saying that it doesn't actually do anything but it's been very helpful? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. I have to ask because I [i:b1223ce384]am[/i:b1223ce384] the Question Lady. :wink:
Thanks for your question, question lady. For me, the situation between you and your husband is painful. With my experience using the Release Technique, I'd say your husband doesn't get it... except I don't fully get it, so it's really none of my business :(
How it's been going with the ladies hasn't been especially important in my world... and on a side note, discretion and humility float my boat, while bragging sinks it.

The source of my success, to try to narrow it down to just one word would be Intention, or Decision. Using the Sedona Method has helped in the development of strong intention (or decision making ability). In the beginning, only with strong intention could I keep from falling back into old habits. Now, the more I release, the more I'm falling [b:b1223ce384]out[/b:b1223ce384] of old habits.

I really don't take the Lester Levenson mythology very seriously. I only check my effects in my life and the lives of those around me. Aren't we [b:b1223ce384]all[/b:b1223ce384] experiencing changes day to day? I believe I was lucky to have stumbled upon the Sedona Method when I was at the end of an era in my life; I was ripe for change. The intention and decision was there. The accelerated pace and momentum I built up through releasing is still going strong. Yet Sedona Method itself did nothing. It was what my intention did with the releasing questions (and my life) that attained me my goals.

The closest I can get to what I'm trying to say is that Sedona Method is a tool of intention, yet has been used (be me) to cultivate intention. Like a spiral. Cool. Thanks for reading. :wink:

Posted by: TCDk ()
Date: July 14, 2007 01:14PM

Hi QE,

Thank you for the post above, it's always nice for me to hear others' experiences with RT and/or SM. Thus far, I have very limited exposures to others who have used RT and/or SM. My assigned "release buddy" from RT disappeared on me after making the initial contact phone call; although he promised to call back on a regular basis; but since that first phone call he'd never contacted me again and since I was lazy too; we never got together again (Ha, see what happened when two people are both practicing the "BUTT" system? LOL) I had a total of one telephone conversation each with the RT and the SM sales people when I made my initial purchase; I browsed the RT and SM "graduate" sites' posts; but never posted there; thus I can only report my "isolated" personal experiences with RT and SM and I am very interested to find out what others' takes on RT & SM are.

At this time I would like to offer some of my humble inputs regarding your first few questions/comments regarding using the RT and SM; please remember that I am in no way endorsing RT or SM, I am just offering my personal interpretations and applications of it.

You asked "if the method works so well, why do you need the next set of tapes, and the next, and the next seminar." The answer is of course, you don't. If it's going to work, one set, one instruction, and one word would be enough. So why does it take so long? And why do we have to constantly applying it? Well, I can't speak for others; but I know for myself I am an especially stubborn and a self-admitted almost hopeless case. My ego's hold on me is especially strong and my bad habits die hard, very hard. Ever since I was 4 1/2 years old, my pre-school teacher told me not to bite my finger nails; but decades later, I am still biting them... So if a simple and little bad habit such as nail biting habit is so hard for me to break I think perhaps I will allow myself more time to break other much more entrenched ego-induced "bad habits." Do you need other sets of tapes & seminars? Using my nail biting as an example again, if the basic RT helped you bite your nails less and you were satisfied with the speed it's helping you and you thought more tapes could help you to speed up the process and you were willing to pay your hard-earn money for them; then by all means go ahead and buy them; but if after you've tried it and it's not giving you the results you want? Send it back and ask for a refund!

As far as not able to release on the negative feelings? I can tell you from personal experience sometimes the mere wanting to release it is what cause the bottleneck. Also from your post I can clearly see that you are much more advanced than I am because in one case it has literally taken me at least 4 1/2 years before I could finally let go a negative feeling on an ex-business "partner". To be fair, in RT & SM they did mention that one should invite the feeling up and make it ok either way, whether you were able to let the feeling go or not; they are both ok. The point is that you have to be ok with either the feeling still being there or being released. Often the words, "allowing" "acceptance" "non-attachment" are used here; IT is what it IS; hard to swallow sometimes; but it just is... At this juncture for those who have not experienced "releasing", just by merely reading these words may sound like a bunch of psycho babble and utter non-sense. Well it should be to you, because even as I am typing it I've come to realize how all this must sound to those who are just the casual passing by... On one hand, it’s often said that “a mind is like a parachute; it works better when opened”; but on the other hand “while one should always keep an open mind; but not so opened that one’s brain fall out…”

As to the "outrageous" and "incredulous" and even borderline "un-ethical" claims that the RT and SM people made regarding the method and the master Lester? I can agree with you 100%. I think oftentimes in their zeal to gain "converts" the promoters and even Lester himself have crossed the line several times. Now, Lester was fond of saying "don't believe anything I say, take it for the checking." Then of course he regaled us with stories of how he was able to teleport a few miles in an instant, living on a kettle of water in Sedona for months, fixing electronic devices with the mere touch of his hands, meeting “Astros” in other realms...etc and etc. Lester, following your advices, I am NOT believing a word of it; because thus far, I have NOT seen any objective and scientific proof that any of the aforementioned things you said were true. They are HEARSAY and do not meet the rigor of scientific investigation or even my own subjective experiential evidence. Therefore, on that account currently I choose not to believe you could or had performed any of the "miraculous" things you and your promoters claim. Nevertheless, I do gain substantial amount of benefits from using the techniques you've developed so I am not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. To further quote (perhaps misquote) Lester, "if a piece of cake tasted this good then I wanted the whole cake". Now if a piece of the cake (i.e. RT) tasted good, I'll keep it in my mouth; but if the other piece tasted funny (i.e. the marketing and the other "claims") tasted funny in my mouth; then I am spitting it right back out! No if's and's but's...

Finally I'd like to end this post with a true Zen/Chan story that took place over a thousand years ago in ancient China...
One day a famous Chinese magistrate travelled far to visit a Zen master up on the mountain top, they met and were having tea. After a few casual polite chitchat, the Magistrate told the Zen Master, "the purpose of my visit this time is twofold: One, I would like to know if you are a truly enlightened Master and Two, if you were could you please help me to become enlightened as well?"

The Master answered, "Well, One, as we each was drinking our respective cup of tea, only you could truly know how your tea tasted to you. Two, having been drinking so much tea just now I really gotta go pee now. If you couldn't even go pee in my place for me; how could I help you gain your enlightenment?"
So what’s the moral of the story? Drink your own tea and pee your own pee? ;)

Posted by: waltermark ()
Date: July 17, 2007 11:57PM

Hi QL,

I wrote the post you linked to below so thank you for reading it and making the case here.

Just a quick note, if you will . . . I don't "claim" it's a beta product (which means it stability status is meant for a small group of testers and not for the general public) -- I prove it by including a screen capture in my first post about the product.

It clearly shows the splash screen with "beta 1.8" under the title.

And in an upcoming post, another blog subscriber sent me a screen capture from deeper within the product that misleads users into believing it's not beta.

Here's a link that takes you to all the iCAP Release Meter posts I've done to date: [roicopy.com] .

> You will be villified

You are correct again, QL. It's already started, but that's okay, I knew that going in. But they can't villify me for being incorrect in my presentation of the facts, only for daring to bring it up in the first place.

Fortunately, a number of people seem to be holding off purchasing at least until it goes GR.

In the first post I did, I included a link to Wikipedia that explains the different stages of software development and why they're important.

Hope that helps.

Wishing You Much Success,

Walter Terry
[www.ROIcopywriter.com] - Greater ROI Through Strategic Sales Writing

question lady
This guy claims that the iCAP release meter, (Larry Crane Enterprises he says is the parent company) is selling beta, i.e. unfinished, un-debugged sfotware for this device. He also says that this company is cash strapped even though the primary owner is Larry Crane who sells "The Abundance Course.

[roicopy.com]

Also, I have now learned that some months ago, about the time Release Technique was probably losing market share to The Secret, RT e-mailed "graduates" asking them to buy 20 copies of Larry's Abundance book from Amazon to make it look like it was a best seller so they could "share the Release Technique with the world". The e-mail suggested that people could simply return the books to Amazon for a refund onced the promotion was over. I gues there was a later e-mail suggested that the true believers who actually bought 20 books call Crane Enterprises before returning them. So who know, maybe they realized that a mass return of the book might raise eyebrows.

Oh, and do not expect that informing the purchaser of an iCAP meter that tthe product may be defective and could crash their computer will be rewarded with "Thank you for bringing this to my attention". Noooooo. You will be villified for even mentioning the possibility that any of these nice people would do anything unethical. This is true even when they are still waiitng for their health, finances and relationships to improve as promised. The Release Technique is like emotional Amway.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:50AM

QuestionEverything
They also tell stories that promote miraculous results on the one hand, then follow immediately by saying, but that's not what's important. As an example, there was a story told about Lester Levenson having gained some wait which he wanted to lose. So he stepped on the scale, and mentally released on the weight, and immediately the scale dropped (I'm guessing) 20 lbs.

QE, was this "story" told in writing, or verbally in a recording? If so, could anyone locate it, or link to it, if its in writing? Or state which program it is located in?

Obviously, if that story is being told, it came from Lester Levenson, as one assumes no one else was in his bathroom as this Wondrous Sedona Method Miracle that breaks of the laws of Nature occurred.

The reality is that anyone making that type of claim is telling a bald-faced lie.
The only way to make your weight drop instantly, is to lean to side on a cheap analog scale so your weight moves onto the frame of the scale, you can knock off about 10 lbs that way. (Even liposuction can only take about 6 pounds maximum!)

So the INSTANT you have people telling those kind of bald-faced lies to sell you their product, that tells one all one needs to know. They are scammers.

Clearly its done to exploit the fact that most people want to lose weight, and losing weight is a massive business, so they want to bring in some of that money too.

So lets find the text, or the recording where they make that claim, and expose that false and dishonest claim to the public.

No one has ever proved that they can break the laws of Nature, which we are all subject too, and losing weight is subject to the Laws of Thermodynamics, which is why its so hard to lose weight, you CAN'T CHEAT NATURE, and the body is very very efficient, this is why losing weight is so difficult.

Someone want to draw in some of the billions in weight-loss money out there, so they devise a blatant bald-faced lie, to pander to human weakness and desire for something for nothing, (lose weight instantly) simply to draw people in.

Its the oldest trick in the book.
"Drink this snake-oil, cure your ather-itis, and lose 20 lbs instantly".

Scam scam scam scam.
The instant a person makes a claim like that, they are showing they are bald-faced self-conscious crooked salespeople, trying to scam you.

Date: July 18, 2007 08:27PM

Dear Anticult,

I believe the story was told as at a weekend seminar I took with Hale Dwoskin at the Omega Institute. Hale claimed to have witnessed this miraculous event. It's also possible I heard it on one of Hale's tapes.

As of this point, I have thrown away all the materials I purchased on the Sedona Method. I had a series of five books called "Happiness is Free." The first one seems widely available, I am not sure about the last four. There are more miraculous stories about Lester in these books. Lester even describes an incident where Jesus visits one of the meetings of some of his advanced students. Also a story about teleporting.

Hope this helps.

QE

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 19, 2007 02:01AM

QE, that's great you have thrown out their materials, they belong in the garbage can.

Its interesting that the crafty Hale Dwoskin decided to leave out the Sedona Method Miracles from his recent book?

That displays a self-conscious deception of the public.
Its also a bait-and-switch, similar to TM. They tell you they have a simple "technique", and after you join up and they have a chance to indoctrinate you for a while, then they hit you with the Miracles, to lure you deeper into taking more courses and buying more books and tapes.

Sedona Method deserves its own category at places like [skepdic.com]
All people have to do is send him text where the Sedona people are claiming to do Miracles, like Teleporting, and the skeptical websites will put listings up about the Sedona Method scam.

James Randi would also tear Sedona a new energy vortex, as they are claiming to break the laws of nature WITHOUT ANY PROOF WHATSOEVER. [www.randi.org]

As far as Jesus, people could contact the Christian analysis websites about the false claims of Lester Levenson, and they would certainly severely criticize that part of the scam, and classify it as New Age nuttery, or worse.

Lester Levenson was clearly an old-school confidence-man, and the next Sedona Method generation is clearly fabricating and exaggerating his legend and claims even further, so they can sell the Big Claim, and thus make more money.

If you are going to claim Miracles, make sure the person you are claiming did them is dead, that way they can't be disproven.

These guys are flat out scam-artists.
They could also be reported to various Consumer Alert, and Consumer Fraud websites, Rip-Off Report and Scam websites, even the FTC, and other regulatory agencies for any false medical claims they are making.

The really ugly thing about the Sedona Method, is at first they have a quite a "soft-sell". They pitch it as some little benign method, but that's the BAIT. As you get indoctrinated, then they SWITCH to lure you in deeper and deeper, just like a cult.

Posted by: disconnect ()
Date: July 19, 2007 06:09AM

And some of us take the Bible literally and seriously, like it's not a great metaphor :)

It sounds to me like we've all been burned by a false teacher at some time. It's really sad to see that even people with the best intentions miss the mark. But certainly I never miss the mark. It's them. It's those anti-cult people or it's the people in the cults. We all think they're right, and the other must be wrong. lol. I mean... I'm all I know. How could I be wrong? The only world I can remember seeing is through these eyes. QuestionEverything, If I could see the world through your eyes, I most certainly would detest the Sedona Method and every other self-aggrandizing, pompous, better-than-thou lying two-faced psuedo-science group of contorted brainwashers out there. I see my world too. In my world, the Sedona Method helped me out tremendously, and has the potential to benefit anyone who uses it. Here are a few of the benefits I've experienced personally:

-Sharp decrease in social anxiety
-Marked ability to love others for no reason, without expecting them to do anything in return. For example, everyone on this anti-cult board. We're awesome! My bread and butter! We're all trying to understand what's right and what's wrong, and then help others to come to a good distinction based on our research. That doesn't mean you have to like me or agree with me
-A decreased sense of constant threat. I am more able to relax and enjoy peoples' company without trying to indoctrinate them or myself with whatever I think is the best new theory, Sedona Method included.
-An increased constant sense of wellbeing
-A feeling of being "on track" and carrying my life out in a responsible, kind loving manner.

I believe you're right for taking action and standing for a principal that matters to you, that protects others from the kinds of scams that exist. To protect people from something that might not have worked for us. But once again, I don't see things through your eyes, I can only pretend to assume you have the best of intentions. I think that we all do, but we are limited by the simple fact that we just don't know for sure. Whenever I pretend to know for sure, that's when you know I'm lying!

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: July 19, 2007 07:14AM

disconnect
. . . but we are limited by the simple fact that we just don't know for sure. Whenever I pretend to know for sure, that's when you know I'm lying!

What don't I know for sure? That the guy who ran the lgat I got conned into wasn't running the lgat for the sole purpose of conning more people, which was for the sole purpose of padding his bank account? His "game" is evident in the known techniques of intentional manipulation that he employed in the "courses". The fact that some testify to an improved life, as you do, does not disprove the fact that psychological manipulation and deception are the name of the lgat game.

FYI, for awhile I thought my life was improved too.

p.s. I refer to the guy in past tense because he is dead

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.