Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
How many people do you know that have suffered from Landmark Education
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: September 26, 2008 03:22AM

I would like to start a thread were we collect knowledge about people that have suffered from their participation with Landmark Education/est.

I will try to moderate the thread. We want to make a list with short story about each and everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many people do you know that have suffered from Landmark Education
Date: September 26, 2008 03:36AM

We want to categorize them;

- suicide
- psychosis
- manic/depressive
- divorce
- loss of work
- other

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:20PM

If we were a member of Landmark at one point and have suffered as a result can we post our experience on this thread?

Date: September 28, 2008 05:28PM

sure Zorro - just find a "nice" category. Or make up your own and start to "share" (sorry - didn't meand to trigger off the implanted share.script)

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: September 30, 2008 09:42AM

[Hi Nettie,
I'm the sister of a Landmark Forum member. She got involved 10 years ago and met her future husband there. She invited me to her "graduation," and I went and thought since she looked happy and transformed that maybe it was a good thing. I checked up on it via the internet and read about the coersion and humiliation that went on during the meetings and since I also had young children at the time and couldn't devote an entire weekend to such a thing, I decided against it. Well, this ticked off the Landmark Forum people and they kept calling me and each call got more belligerent. I was "irresponsible," incapable, and they cancelled me out of the course because obviously I didn't have what it took to go through with it. I took it as a challenge and I called my sister telling her how unprofessional and crude these Landmark Forum people were and that as a result, I'd NEVER go to one of their sessions.
She said she respected my decision, and I thought we were good. About 4 months later, I found out I was not invited to her wedding. I'm her only sibling. She was the maid of honor at my wedding 10 years prior. No one but their parents were invited to the wedding. Against both sets of parents' prompting and pleading she and her husband still stuck with their plans and at their wedding were only the parents, and the minister. I'm surprised some Landmark Forum guru wasn't the minister - or was he? I don't know, I wasn't there. I even hosted her bridal shower much to the horror of relatives who couldn't believe my sister's odd and rude behavior. I think she went on to be a "coach" and was heavily involved for at least the next 2 or more years. About 2 years after this, she called me incessantly at work, and I actually had to dismiss myself from work to talk to her. She brought up some memory in her childhood that she just HAD to discuss with me in the middle of the weekday - a memory that I had not nurtured her enough during an insecure moment in her life at age 8. I had had enough of this, and told her I'd meet her to discuss this issue. I told her that I was 13 at the time she was 8 and this incident she wanted nurturing and didn't receive it, was also in front of my entire 8th grade class. I explained to her my position at age 13, but I don't think she heard a thing. She used the Landmark Forum system to backhandedly accuse me of being an insensitive ass of a sister at age 13 for not meeting her needs. She said it was one of her "rackets" she was getting over, but I knew she was just using it to make me feel badly for something in our childhood that centered solely around her. I told her what I thought of Landmark Forum once again. As predicted, she became even more aloof, and about 5 years after this incident, she seemed to have no memory of any happy times she had in her childhood. In the 10 years since she joined Landmark Forum, I think she's been to perhaps 20 family events total. That includes all holidays and special family events like graduations, etc. She says caustic and hurtful things about our parents, and thinks that she has no accountability for what she says. Her husband never comes to any family events anymore. Because of the awkwardness around both her and her husband, I feel like the sister I knew died a long time, and there's only a shell walking around in her skin. My mom and dad are convinced she and her husband have left Landmark because they go to a Christian church. I'm not convinced.
I thought I was finished with this Forum nightmare, when lo and behold, my ADHD child's therapist recommended Landmark Forum as something she'd just discovered and that I should take my 11 year old daughter. I relayed my blunt opinion of the organization and told her in no way would my daughter step foot in the door of Landmark. I haven't heard from my therapist since, and will probably have to look for a new brain integration therapist and start over with my child's procedure just because of Landmark Forum. It's like being in Stepford. People come back from these sessions with half a brain.

Posted by: Blue Pill ()
Date: September 30, 2008 08:20PM

nettie,
I think I see where you are going with this, just be aware that some of the above titles are subjective and cause and affect are difficult to prove....

You may wish to add -

- Bullied by a Landmark drone whenever you
(a) Don't sign up
(b) Sign up and don't do more classes
(c) Sign up, do more classes and don't become a volunteer
(d) Become a Volunteer but don't agree with absolutely everything Landmark says

I call that 3rd Party Psychological torture and much of which I went through.

Posted by: funnyguy ()
Date: October 01, 2008 06:34AM

I like to tell them when the bug me..."I choose to not participate in your program"... if they keep going I then tell them that I request they "F>>> OFF!"

- manic/depressive --- YES
- loss of work - Almost...YES

&
3rd Party Psychological torture
3rd Party Psychological torture

nettie and Rick Ross
Posted by: rapologist ()
Date: October 05, 2008 01:47AM

if your "criticisms" of LGATS are valid, let's just say that they are, and in fact most LGATS have eggregious harmful side effects and LGATS is an experience to be avoided....do you have any suggestions to a person (like myself) who wants to pursue some kind of alternative education call it "human potential" or personal development ....if I wanted to working on my "people" skills, communication skills are there any groups out there that have a proven track record for producing favorable safe healthy growth and development with people.

Who is offering work out there that is not being reported for abuses on this board and that you might recommend? And I am looking for something not connected to a college or university or therapeutic or psychiatric in nature. I am a healthy adjusted person ( for the most part or at least I think of myself that way). I want to do group setting work and not "one on one" work. Please advise me, if you would.

unapologetic rapologist

Re: nettie and Rick Ross
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 05, 2008 02:04AM

rapologist:

The so-called "Human Potential" movement is so rife with problems and has such a troubled history of personal injuries, litigation, complaints and bad press, I have no LGATs with "a proven track record" to recommend.

Instead, I would recommend continuing education through an accredited university or college, which you apparently dismiss.

If you have personal issues to resolve or work out seek counseling with a licensed professional that has accountability, or through a credible support group within your local community. This might include a support group sponsored through a credible local social service agency, educational institution or perhaps a well respected educational or nonprofit nonprofit charity.

Depending upon your religious background you might also seek help through a program offered at a church, synagogue, or other religious institution of your choice, but I would avoid anything with an LGAT structure.

Rick Ross
Posted by: rapologist ()
Date: October 05, 2008 02:37AM

IN CAPS TO DIFFERENTIATE OLD FROM NEW (NOT YELLING)

(The so-called "Human Potential" movement is so rife with problems and has such a troubled history of personal injuries, litigation, complaints and bad press, I have no LGATs with "a proven track record" to recommend. )

THANK-YOU

(Instead, I would recommend continuing education through an accredited university or college, which you apparently dismiss.)

WHAT ABOUT IF LGAT PROGRAM OR PART OF A LGAT PROGRAM WAS BEING OFFERED IN AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE SETTING, WOULD THEY BE SAFE TO ATTEND?

If you have personal issues to resolve or work out seek counseling with a licensed professional that has accountability, or through a credible support group within your local community. This might include a support group sponsored through a credible local social service agency, educational institution or perhaps a well respected educational or nonprofit nonprofit charity.

I HAVE NORMAL GARDEN VARIETY (NOT PRESSING) PERSONAL ISSUES. MOSTLY I WANT TO LEARN TO BE MORE ASSERTIVE, TO WORK IN TEAMS, TO GOAL SET, LEADERSHIP, BE ABLE TO ACT AND BE CREATIVE IN WAYS BEYOND THE NORMAL USUAL LIMITS OF MY PERSONALITY. I DO NOT THINK IT IS SOMETHING NEEDING RESOLVED OR THE ATTENTION OF A LICENCED PROFFESIONAL.

CAN YOU SUGGEST SOME SUPPORT GROUPS WITH PROVEN TRACK RECORDS?

Depending upon your religious background you might also seek help through a program offered at a church, synagogue, or other religious institution of your choice, but I would avoid anything with an LGAT structure.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS Of A LGAT STRUCTURE?

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.