Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Landmark and Psychosis...Let us not Forget
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 22, 2012 03:23AM

newfuture wrote

It's accurate to say that most people don't process through the brain alone, but through the body. I had a strange experience whereby my mind took in all of the information but my body went insane - I was even having problems with my vision and was unable to sleep, stopped eating and lost a ton of weight. The mind/body are connected as we know.

Yes, there is indeed something to this.

Years ago, writer Joyce Maynard published a memoir, My Place in the World.

She was young, just about 19 or so, when an essay of hers brought her national attention. and sacks full of mail. She also began getting seductive letters from a world famous writer, twice to three times her age.

She noted that she felt interested, yet anxiety ridden at the same time. She wanted to be independant, autonomous, yet in spite of herself, felt alone, wishing for guidelines.

No one in her life, not even her mother, suggested that there might be something wrong or weird about a man so much older than herself wanting attention and bed space from a girl young enough to be his own daughter. This was at a time in the culture when 'anything went'.

Maynard wrote that when they tried to have relations, her body suffered a disabling psychosomatic reaction.

Years later, she comprehended that in the absence of outside advice or guidance, all she had were warnings from her own body, and that it took the form of pain.

Some years ago, researchers began accumulating evidence that there are as many neurotransmitter receptors in our guts as in our brains and spinal cord, so much so that this has been termed 'the second brain"

Other terms are enteric nervous system

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

All I can offer from my side of the room is to find that the brain between my ears can be confused by con artistry, but my gut cannot be proven wrong.

And that conflict between the two makes me ill.

Every time I have chosen to trust my gut, I have never regretted it.

It may be that part of the turmoil produced in bad relationships or LGAT situations is to set us at odds, creating conflicts between what our bodies know and what our minds know.

The confusion and exhaustion techniques overwhelm our brains. In the mean time, we are persuaded to ignore what our guts are telling us.

Thats a recipe for conflict.

So far, all we have are positron emission tomography scans (PET) that examine the metabolic activity patterns within our brains.

Only when a PET scan is devised which can simultaneously image activity in a subjects gut and brain will we be able to understand how closely the two interact.

In the mean time, all we can do is, when in doubt, trust our bodies, no matter how confused our minds become.

The mind can be guilt tripped. The gut cannot be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.