Seat of the Soul Foundation
Posted by: owlnull ()
Date: July 19, 2004 05:10AM

Hello everyone.

Found this site while doing some research in between job hunting. I used to work for the Genisis Foundation, which is now called the Seat of the Soul Foundation. They are an 'organization' that is based off the works of Gary Zukav, who has written many self-help/human potential books.

They are a therapy cult. I am glad to have found this forum so I can post my experiences here and warn people who have perhaps seen their family members reading Zukav's work and believing it.

Edit - Changed the title to better reflect the nature of the post. I am writing down some experiences I have had and will post them in a moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leopardgirl ()
Date: July 19, 2004 07:51AM

What was your experience with them?

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: July 19, 2004 09:39PM

ON,

The material Gary Zukav teaches leaves so much room for subjectivity that I don't know how anyone could follow it. This leads me to believe it would be very easy to have it used in a coercive manner, as a therapy cult would do.

The following link explains some of the reasons why Zukav's work "opens the door for evil." It is from a Christian perspective, however, the author makes many good points, which could be useful in understanding other groups, such as Landmark and new age type cults. From Alan Watts to present day holistic practitioners, the author describes the problem with the concept of there being no right and no wrong, of being compassionate when in fact the recipient of our compassion "chose" his or her situation which we have no business judging.

[www.watchman.org]

Posted by: owlnull ()
Date: July 20, 2004 12:51AM

I'll post my story when I'm finished with it, as it seems very long to me.

I've seen that article before, and though I am not Christian it does make me smile. :D

I will post soon, thank you for the encouragement so far.

Posted by: PSIsurvivor ()
Date: July 20, 2004 04:35AM

That's all very interesting. I read a zukav book years ago "The seat of the soul". I remember wondering how he came up with his ideas. I put it in the recycle long ago, so I really don't remember what it was about. I remember I found it more confusing than enlightening. I had no idea that anyone had started a group around his, IMO wacky, ideas.

Why exactly do you think it's a therapy cult? What cult like aspects are being played out?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.