Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Landmark Education can cure Homelessness in one weekend.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 05, 2008 03:07AM

That's perfect.
What I do when people make claims like that, is then pin it down.
Then you say, ok, let's see that controlled study, published in a peer reviewed journal.
I ask to see it, and never stop asking.

Either they are being lied to, or they are lying, or distorting.
Then one can analyze the study, and see what it says. (Its either a lie, or a bogus paper).
But regardless, if he gives you a link or the name of the study, please post it.

I find catching people in a lie, or falsehood, in person, can work really well.
He may be being lied to, and this may go into his memory bank.

By the way, below is a fun analysis of Landmark, using their own jargon to show you why no one should take Landmark!
It gets religious at the end, but up to the religious part, its a wonderful clean argument.

"My Experience with Landmark Education"
[www.godwords.org]

jp27
The Anticult
Could you imagine if they did a controlled study on homelessness and Landmark?
Take a random group of homeless people, send 1/3 to Landmark, 1/3 to a legit homeless program with job-training and support services, and 1/3 as a control group.

That is all they would have to do.
Landmark has probably secretly tried tests like that using regular people, and they all failed horribly, that is why there are no proper published studies.
They probably end up much worse than the control group who does nothing.

Landmark is a simple-complex Confidence Trick. Its Werner Erhard's self-replicating money-machine Confidence Trick.

My friend claims there is some landmark study that say's 99% of people who have done the course had a postive outcome from the course. I think it's BS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jp27 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 09:53AM

The Anticult
That's perfect.
What I do when people make claims like that, is then pin it down.
Then you say, ok, let's see that controlled study, published in a peer reviewed journal.
I ask to see it, and never stop asking.

Either they are being lied to, or they are lying, or distorting.
Then one can analyze the study, and see what it says. (Its either a lie, or a bogus paper).
But regardless, if he gives you a link or the name of the study, please post it.

I find catching people in a lie, or falsehood, in person, can work really well.
He may be being lied to, and this may go into his memory bank.

By the way, below is a fun analysis of Landmark, using their own jargon to show you why no one should take Landmark!
It gets religious at the end, but up to the religious part, its a wonderful clean argument.

"My Experience with Landmark Education"
[www.godwords.org]

jp27
The Anticult
Could you imagine if they did a controlled study on homelessness and Landmark?
Take a random group of homeless people, send 1/3 to Landmark, 1/3 to a legit homeless program with job-training and support services, and 1/3 as a control group.

That is all they would have to do.
Landmark has probably secretly tried tests like that using regular people, and they all failed horribly, that is why there are no proper published studies.
They probably end up much worse than the control group who does nothing.

Landmark is a simple-complex Confidence Trick. Its Werner Erhard's self-replicating money-machine Confidence Trick.

My friend claims there is some landmark study that say's 99% of people who have done the course had a postive outcome from the course. I think it's BS.

I asked him where he got the study from. He said the forum leader.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 10, 2008 10:37AM

Great.
Now lets get the link, and name of the actual "study" so we can have a look at it.
You see, if the friend really believes in Landmark, once he finds out the "study" is most likely smoke and mirrors, it may have a small effect on him, maybe later.

But we have to see the facts first.
I would say..."wow, that is fascinating, I need to see the entire study...please send me the link".

So if we can get the name of the study, link, etc, then we'll have a closer look.
(this is where the smoke and mirrors start).
But maybe they have it on their website?
We'll see if its peer-reviewed, and against a control group, where was published, etc.

control group study
[www.skepdic.com]

This is the type of basic critical thinking that literally can destroy an entire Thought Reform system, which is why every Thought Reform system tries to banish critical analysis.
Its like a tiny hammer chipping away, until the entire thing collapses.

jp27
I asked him where he got the study from. He said the forum leader.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.