10-min interview to help person with a SELP project?
Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: July 08, 2004 08:11AM

Hi guys-

My Landmarkian friend is doing a SELP project, with a day long workshop this Sat. which she's invited me to (that I declined). She wanted to have a 10 min 'interview' with me about herself before the workshop. I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of questions are asked in this type of interview?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: July 08, 2004 01:24PM

Hi Kittypaw,

GC wrote a good piece on SELP within my thread on "Advanced Course Info Needed"

Apparently the the SELP participant draws on art paper with crayons, depictions of the communities that he or she belongs. You no doubt belong to a community in which she is in. The objective of the exercise is for the SELP participant to develop through "coaching", an enrollment strategy for each individual depicted on the art paper. The three months is dedicated to developing strategies for all people in all communities.

Her questions may have something to do with populating her communities with enrollment candidates.

Oz

Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: July 08, 2004 08:01PM

Thanks, Oz!
Fortunately this was more like the 360 job review process where you ask a bunch of people who work w/you about how they perceive you. (Perhaps the better to bring the 2 communities together for the project they're working on- or to ensnare more people.) If she consistently got the same answers from people, she'd know she had issues to work on.

Before we began she promised me that she would never bring up anything I said in the interview later, or try to argue points with me. The interview would be "forgotten" as soon as it was over. I should say I was done when I was answering each question so she wouldn't cut me off.

The questions were:
1-What do you see as my strengths?
2-" weaknesses?
3- What were your first impressions of me?
3-If you and I were at a party, talking to a group of people we'd never met before, and I left the room for a minute, what would people say?

(I thought that question was a little paranoid.)

4-Rate me 1-10 as a friend, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best possible friend.
5- What could I do to be a better friend?
6- Is there anything you want from this friendship that I'm not giving you?

I think that was it. She asked again if I'd given her an answer about whether I was coming to the Sat. workshop (Hell no, I thought) but wasn't pesty about it. Thank G-d.

Posted by: Alexis ()
Date: July 09, 2004 10:34PM

kittypaw
She asked again if I'd given her an answer about whether I was coming to the Sat. workshop (Hell no, I thought) but wasn't pesty about it. Thank G-d.

I'm sure they still train them to only except the word [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe] as a legitimate answer.

Like I was taught, anything other than [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe] was really [i:11f8f59bbe]yes[/i:11f8f59bbe]. And then they are trained to ask why you said [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe], and again the only acceptable answer was "because I said [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe]."

[b:11f8f59bbe][i:11f8f59bbe]Then[/i:11f8f59bbe][/b:11f8f59bbe], they are train that just because you said [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe] now doesn't mean you will always say [i:11f8f59bbe]no[/i:11f8f59bbe]. So be prepared to be asked constantly....... :(

Posted by: glam ()
Date: August 25, 2004 06:29AM

Hi! Just reading this for the first time. My Landmark friend gave me the same interview, same questions. But since I know one of the objectives in any of these coercive groups is to make the LEC participant doubt himself and feel guilt for his "flaws," whether real or imagined, I would give only positive answers to the questions. He looked, while he was "interviewing" me, as if he was waiting to be really hurt by my responses -- expecting negative feedback-- so obviously, in my opinion, LEC is trying to:

1) Dig up dirt on the LEC participant, to uncover more "flaws" that the person needs to work on (and so must keep coming back to LEC), and

2) Show the LEC participant how little his/her friends and family think of him/her, further separating this person from "evil" people on the outside and convincing them that people inside LEC are their only "true" friends. I'm sure that every answer you give to such a questionnaire is carefully scrutinized and picked apart by people within LEC, not forgotten at all.

I think the trick is to stay as positive and upbeat as possible...I always try to remind my friend that he's a good & successful person, with or without LEC.

Glam

Posted by: elena ()
Date: August 25, 2004 10:27AM

kittypaw
Hi guys-

My Landmarkian friend is doing a SELP project, with a day long workshop this Sat. which she's invited me to (that I declined). She wanted to have a 10 min 'interview' with me about herself before the workshop. I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of questions are asked in this type of interview?

Too bad "gc's" posts are gone. Maybe someone could paraphrase the one where he talked about this. As I recalll, and to the best of my knowledge, the questions are designed to obliterate the person's ego defenses and deliver up a malleable mass of "raw meat" - as more than one guru has termed it - to be manipulated into a cult robot selling machine. The amount of negative information is designed to be overwhelming, and what most of us come to accept in small or incremental doses, is delivered on a full platter by design. Not many of us could survive this onslaught without our protective shield being shredded. There is a reason we all, or most of us, develop one; for the same reason we develop an immune system. Not all ego defenses are "neurotic."

Ellen

Posted by: Parrot ()
Date: August 25, 2004 11:11AM

Yes. Well put. Which is why I try very hard to give no negative feedback to him, as hard as it is when someone's in full-on Landmark mode. But of course, there are so many other sources for self-doubt!

Glam

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: August 25, 2004 08:35PM

Ellen - Besides what is already on this thread, the only other thing I can remember that GC wrote was from the Marketing aspect of Landmark. it went something like this:

1. The Landmark Forum is the Door opener
2. The Advanced Course at 2.5 times the price of The Forum is the cash cow. Most people leave Landmark after this course
3. Self Expression and Leadership (SELP) is at a much reduced price of $200 odd over a 3/4 month period. At face value, it looks really economical compared to the other preceeding courses. The low price is designed to lure back the Grads and the process is designed to make them slick unpaid sales people for Landmark. By this stage, Grads are speaking the exclusive language of Landmark at great proficiency.
4. The next dangling carrot is the Communications Curriculum consisting of a number of more expensive courses with no real new content, just more of the same with the same obsecure dangling carrot. That same old carrot should be getting a bit rotten and smelly by now...

Oz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.