Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Terminated for not attending Landmark education
Posted by: zastdbox ()
Date: May 29, 2008 07:01AM

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum....

My husband has been with his company for 14 years. He has moved up in the ranks, and is now at a VP level. His boss attended Landmark Education aprox. 2 years ago, and invited my husband, myself and our daughter to attend the graduation/introduction ceremony. We did not feel very comfortable with the introduction or the pressure to sign up, and therefore declined. Since that time, my husband has been pressured by his boss to join almost daily.
Although we have not personally "experienced" Landmark, we have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people who have been involved. The amount of negative information and cult like association is impossible to ignore. While appreciating the boss's opinion, we have remained as far away from Landmark as possible. Last week my husband's boss held a company meeting and told all mid to upper level management that they were REQUIRED to attend all levels of Landmark Education training (at the company's expense). My husband tried to talk with his boss one on one about his concerns, and was told he no longer had a spot in the company if he did not get on board. Again, we declined the "opportunity" and my husband has been terminated. Of course, his boss uses all the nifty martian language, and says my husband leaving the company is HIS choice.
We are just devastated. My husband has paved his way up the ranks, and has shown exceptional performance (yes, I am bragging). He has NEVER missed a sales goal, and has been instrumental in the growth of the company. What I am trying to say is that he is not being let go based on performance. So, after this lengthy explanation, my question is: Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is it legal? Has there ever been any documented unlawful termination suits because of mandates like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Terminated for not attending Landmark education
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: May 29, 2008 10:58AM

Hi zastdbox - I think you should contact a lawyer and se if you can seek damaged against the company.

But to get out of there is probably the only thing that is going to work so let us say that it would have happened eventually anyways.

If your husband is so successful I hope he gets an even better job.

But stay cool and don't spend all your time fighting the cultish company that your husband worked for.

Keep us posted here about what happens. This is a perfect place to vent your anger and concerns. Some people are scared that if they post here and landmark reads this that their anonymity will be lost. But landmark can do nothing to you. I am here with my full identity but I advice most people to stay anon and that becomes a layer btw you and landmark. But really landmark is just a scared company with a lot of narcissist and possibly a few sociopaths.

nettie/Lars/Nisseberka on Youtube

Date: May 29, 2008 11:47AM

Thank you Nettie- I really believe we made the right decision to not attend Landmark. It is just a kick in the gut to go out like this. We were not prepared, and do not have a back up plan at this time. We feel good that we are not pimping ourselves for a paycheck (so to speak); however, it has created such a hardship for our family. I know, feeling sorry for myself won't help. LOL. I am trying to stay positive.
I am greatful for this website though. I have learned a lot. I am hopeful someone else has had a similar experience and can offer some advice! We will be contacting an attorney.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: May 29, 2008 12:53PM

zastdbox

He has NEVER missed a sales goal, and has been instrumental in the growth of the company. What I am trying to say is that he is not being let go based on performance. So, after this lengthy explanation, my question is: Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is it legal? Has there ever been any documented unlawful termination suits because of mandates like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, there have been documented unlawful termination suits because of mandates like this.

There are 2 ongoing right now, and in both cases the terminated employees are suing on grounds of religious discrimination for being mandated to go to Landmark Education:

One in New York City:
Village Voice
[www.villagevoice.com]
ABC News
[www.abcnews.go.com]

and one in Washington, D.C. :
the legal complaint filing
[www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: May 29, 2008 04:02PM

zasdabox,

Sounds like you all may have a case. Definately seek out legal counsel like a labor attorny.

Is the state that you work in a right to work state? I know Texas is and that employers can let an employee go for almost any reason and the employee can't do anything about it. The reverse is also true, an employee can leave on a whim as well.

Does you're husband have any documentation from his boss regarding his termination, or is it just a verbal termination.

I strongly suggest that you go immediately to your local state unemployement agency and tell them what is going on and see what kind of help and recourse you have available to you. Also get you an attorny ASAP.

What ever you do. Don't talk or correspond with your husbands former employer until you have recieved advice from both the employment agency and an attorney.

Like Lars said don't be afraid of Landmark. If anyone should be afraid at this point it's Landmark. It's instances such as this that can cause them to unravel.

Please do keep us posted.

Zorro

Date: May 30, 2008 12:24AM

Actually Zorro, we do live in Texas.

My husband does have documentation stating the mandate to attend Landmark. It also says "those that choose not to attend will no longer have a place in the company".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2008 12:28AM by zastdbox.

Posted by: AntiCultist ()
Date: May 30, 2008 01:07AM

zastdbox - I too got fired recently, though after attending the Landmark Forum. I think it's because my boss didn't like me after doing it - I was more honest with him about how I felt about the job, which I think he took to be more confrontational. He cited being late on projects as the reason for being fired, yet something tells me there's a lot more than that. I went to the Forum on advice of a colleague. This is a first one that someone has mandated the Forum - can you scan the document so RickRoss.com can add it to the website?

Posted by: elena ()
Date: May 30, 2008 01:26AM

zastdbox

My husband has been with his company for 14 years. He has moved up in the ranks, and is now at a VP level. His boss attended Landmark Education aprox. 2 years ago, and invited my husband, myself and our daughter to attend the graduation/introduction ceremony. We did not feel very comfortable with the introduction or the pressure to sign up, and therefore declined. Since that time, my husband has been pressured by his boss to join almost daily.
Although we have not personally "experienced" Landmark, we have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people who have been involved. The amount of negative information and cult like association is impossible to ignore. While appreciating the boss's opinion, we have remained as far away from Landmark as possible. Last week my husband's boss held a company meeting and told all mid to upper level management that they were REQUIRED to attend all levels of Landmark Education training (at the company's expense). My husband tried to talk with his boss one on one about his concerns, and was told he no longer had a spot in the company if he did not get on board. Again, we declined the "opportunity" and my husband has been terminated. Of course, his boss uses all the nifty martian language, and says my husband leaving the company is HIS choice.
We are just devastated. My husband has paved his way up the ranks, and has shown exceptional performance (yes, I am bragging). He has NEVER missed a sales goal, and has been instrumental in the growth of the company. What I am trying to say is that he is not being let go based on performance. So, after this lengthy explanation, my question is: Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is it legal? Has there ever been any documented unlawful termination suits because of mandates like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He should consider himself lucky. Working for a Landmark boss or in a Landmark shop has to be another version of hell.

On another note; the company will probably rot from the inside. It may take a while but the Landmark poison eventually gets to most people. He might think about watching the thing implode from the outside and then be willing to go back and pick up the pieces.

There's also a record of previous legal redress I suppose you've read.

Does his boss have a boss to whom he could address his grievance? (Who is not a Landmarker?)

Ellen

Date: May 30, 2008 01:54AM

Ellen- Thank you for your response. My husband's boss is the owner of the company, so there is no one else to address. I feel so sorry for those people still with the company that feel they have to attend. It seems like such a dangerous game to play.

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: May 30, 2008 02:00PM

zastdbox,

I've sent you a PM.

Zorro

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.