Re: Landmarkese
Posted by: Vegiegardener ()
Date: July 28, 2008 07:04PM

Hi

Fascinating reading (this thread)

Brilliant definition of integrity, Pauker. Is there a list already of key ideas which have helped people unlock themselves from Landmark?

It seems to me that breaking free of Landmark is like realising that you have been deceived (am I right?)- a terrible, terrible gut-wrenching feeling, but one which I also know. My situation didn't involve an LGAT but was bad enough to lead me to read all of Scott Peck's books (brilliant) and many others. In fact I also read Marianne Wiiliamson's book, A Course in Miracles, which I then applied in my personal life and found to be disastrous and dangerous.... and have since learned through reading cult-awareness sites that it is also a form of brainwashing.

Vegiegardener

Posted by: elena ()
Date: July 29, 2008 02:22AM

More magical thinking. The problem with all this stuff is that it treads so complex a path, weaving in and out of the truth, sidestepping the more difficult of human problems, dipping in here and there to the older wisdom cultures, but mixing a deadly brew of partial truths, shaded distortions, perfectly good material, and perfectly awful inclusions. For the most part, these are not educated people. They are "charismatics" -- able to convince people that their weird concoctions are indeed in the tradition of older, respected paths. What differentiates a cult from a religion, if you could actually make the differentiation, is that religions have had the rough edges worn off over time by hard reality, vigorous criticism, and interactions in the real world. (You'd think more Muslims would be questioning the more idiotic of their beliefs at this point, wouldn't you? Most religions are still cultic, in my book.) No, the cults trade in partial truths and it takes a stone-cold sober mind to sort the wheat from the chaff.

"The most dangerous lie is that which most closely resembles the Truth" ----Jan Groenveld

Ellen

Posted by: nettie ()
Date: July 29, 2008 06:46PM

I have also done A Course In Miracles and found it to be a pretty similar brain washing scheme like landmark. Only that you do it at your own pace. The "Course" tells you that you are living in unreality. That this world is just a dream. The "Course" is supposedly Jesus Christ's voice being channelled.

Course in Miracles made me think that the world we live in is not something to take part in (really) but to flee from. So it can make people make disastrous decisions. Just like landmark.

The thing with landmark is that they brain wash you. Not the other way around. Most people who study the "Course" snap out of it after a while since it is not making you happy in the "real" world - the world that most of us live in.

Landmarkers tend to lean towards becoming successful in the "real" world by somehow trancending it. So the "real" world becomes a playground where you play by your own rules - creating your own reality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.