The People They don't Want
Posted by: Alexis ()
Date: June 19, 2004 01:45AM

When I was involved there was a guy who owned a business in a low income/poverty stricken area. He brought one of his regular customers to an Introduction. Though she really wanted to take the course, they wouldn't let her!!!

In hind site, I can say that was a blessing for her. But what was horrific was the FL made an example out of her, stating that they don't take people who can't afford to pay for themselves. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, anyone who's been involved long enough knows that they DO let graduates pay for recruits' courses.

Yes, their goal to help "transform" the world only includes those with enough money. I guess they figured all her recruits would be too poor to pay for the courses!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else saw this kind of stuff. Please tell. :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hossgal ()
Date: June 19, 2004 09:52AM

are depressives with self-destructive tendencies.

During the "seminar" portion of my Landmark experience, a young woman stood up in the group, weeping, complaining that her boyfriend, who had severe depression problems, was not allowed to participate in Landmark. She was positive Landmark would be his salvation, and was extremely upset that he'd been discouraged (evidently very strongly) from
participating.

This was a shock to me, as I am also a depressive, though a mild one. When I had first enrolled (how I hate that word now!), sent my info card and check to Landmark, THEN I received their literature explaining that people on medication for specific mental conditions are strongly discouraged from attending landmark. I immediately called and requested a refund. I was told a refund might be forthcoming if my doctor thought my depression was severe enough to be a problem. I was still curious about Landmark, though cautiously so, and after a discussion with my doctor, he decided there was no reason for me NOT to attend.

Nothing during the Forum Weekend triggered any "bad stuff" regarding my depression -- in fact, I emerged feeling euphoric. Something I realize I have in common with many LE "newbies". Momentarily I thought I'd found the "cure" for my depression and even trailed off on my medication, hoping this was true.

An early episode during the 10-week seminar proved this to be an extremely foolish decision on my part. A "discussion" with my "support group" within the seminar group sent me into a suicidal crisis. Driving home I thought how easy it would be to accelerate my car into a telephone pole and end my crappy life. Some logical part of my mind cut through the fog, though and I got home in one piece.

I attended a "graduation" night for one of the people in the seminar who'd completed the second LE training. Got thoroughly pestered to sign up for more "education". Money was no object, I was told! It would come from SOMEWHERE! I could use a credit card and my new possibilities would take care of the details!! I just got out of the credit card debt hole, and had NO intention of jumping back in. The pressure to join up was irritating and I told them so. More debt I did not need and if Landmark was my salvation, it would just have to wait!

This person who was refused the "benefits" of a Landmark education was truly watched over by Someone Above. I can't imagine Landmark refusing ANYONE based on poverty! Might there have been other factors involved -- a drug problem (past or present), obvious mental illness, some other outward indicator that would make the LE's wary of possible liability? I know there were plenty of examples (perhaps planted ones?) of others (friends, family, LE grads) paying for Landmark courses. So was there another reason for this person to be refused? Money if fungible -- it doesn't matter to Landmark where it comes from, or how it's raised! Or so I thought... :?

I don't mean this to sound judgemental of the refused person in any way, I just think Landmark is watching out for its own best interests when it goes so far as to actually reject someone for the Forum. They'd want to avoid a lawsuit or additional bad press more than they'd want this person's money. :x

I think you're right to suggest the Landmarkers may have decided that "harvesting" new recruits from a depressed/low-income area is not worth their time and effort. How cynical is that? No hope for the impoverished to be "transformed"! I was told they'd let people in Africa attend for the equivalent of $5, but I guess that level of altruism does not extend to the poor in the USA. Thank God.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: June 19, 2004 11:02PM

Cults are about money. Covertly, they are businesses with some kind of religious, spiritual, "transformational," transcendental, prosperity, self-improvement, or "self-actualization" cosmetic cover or product. What better business than one whose product actually costs nothing? Or next to nothing. As businesses they are fundamentally sociopathic because they don't exclude deception and exploitation to maximize profit and minimize loss. They are the ultimate commercial predators. The last thing they want to be bothered with are the problem people who actually need help. They want workers; productive, non-complaining, non-critical, strong, energetic, and infinitely exploitable. Werner Erhard and all the other clones targeted "yuppies," into whose ambition and aggression they could implant their own agenda. Paradoxically, the old, sick, demoralized, tired, crippled, and/or depressed, those most in need of the supposed "product," are the last people a cult wants to recruit.

Ellen

Date: June 19, 2004 11:41PM

Whoo! Elena! You hit the nail on the head! Excellent points!

Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: June 20, 2004 08:22PM

One of my Landmarkian friends said that on the Sunday of the intro course people were challenged to bring in ppl to the Tuesday meeting- ANYONE who looked like it could transform their lives.

She brought a homeless person she met in the subway that night to the Tues. meeting, and offered to pay for his tuition.

Yeah, but you're right, in general they're looking for semi-affluent people with friend/work networks of people who can afford to take the forum.

Date: June 21, 2004 09:41AM

Kittypaw,

Did the homeless person actually attend the Forum, or was he discouraged from "enrolling"? I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall at THAT one!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.