Erhard 'documentary' produced by his lawyer comes to CO
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: April 04, 2008 06:42AM

[www.aspentimes.com]

“Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard,” a documentary about the founder of the est seminars, is set for Friday, April 11.
"Wheeler films provide spring road trips"
Aspen Times Staff Report
Aspen, CO Colorado
April 3, 2008

Perhaps the Aspen Times and the Movie theatre in Aspen, Colorado are unaware that the executive producer of this film is Werner Erhard's attorney Walter Maksym - who once represented Werner Erhard when he sued 20 defendants and representatives from the press and media.

More info on that here:

[www.culthelp.info]
Werner Erhard's attorney Walter Maksym is the executive producer of Eagle Island Films

Eagle Island Films and the Werner Erhard "documentary"
[lgattruth.wordpress.com]

Werner Erhard and his attorneys

Werner's (former?) lawyer co-produces the new film
[wernerandme.blogspot.com]

Also, there's this interesting development:

(New York, NY, January 22, 2008) – Screen Media Films President Robert Baruc announced today their acquisition of Transformation for theatrical distribution. The documentary, written and directed by Emmy Award winner Robyn Symon, explores the life of “est” founder Werner Erhard.
[www.transformationfilm.com]
One must wonder if Screen Media Films President Robert Baruc is a "graduate" of est, "The Forum" or Landmark Forum.

I also wonder if Screen Media Films has been made aware that this "documentary" film, Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard - has Walter Maksym as its executive producer, Werner Erhard's attorney when he sued 20 members of the media/press, and someone who has been involved in Erhard's business dealings and publications related to him (Breakthru Publishing) etc, see blog post above - how could such a film with this sort of executive producer be considered a "documentary" at all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Erhard 'documentary' produced by his lawyer comes to CO
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: April 05, 2008 06:18PM

I am hereby uncreating that documentary. It does no longer exist! So be it!

I am nettie - I am legion - I am all powerful!

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2008 06:19PM by nettie.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: April 12, 2008 08:54PM

ajinajan
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20080403/AE/854821859

“Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard,” a documentary about the founder of the est seminars, is set for Friday, April 11.
"Wheeler films provide spring road trips"
Aspen Times Staff Report
Aspen, CO Colorado
April 3, 2008

Perhaps the Aspen Times and the Movie theatre in Aspen, Colorado are unaware that the executive producer of this film is Werner Erhard's attorney Walter Maksym - who once represented Werner Erhard when he sued 20 defendants and representatives from the press and media.

More info on that here:

[www.culthelp.info]
Werner Erhard's attorney Walter Maksym is the executive producer of Eagle Island Films

Eagle Island Films and the Werner Erhard "documentary"

Werner Erhard and his attorneys

Werner's (former?) lawyer co-produces the new film
[wernerandme.blogspot.com]

Also, there's this interesting development:

(New York, NY, January 22, 2008) – Screen Media Films President Robert Baruc announced today their acquisition of Transformation for theatrical distribution. The documentary, written and directed by Emmy Award winner Robyn Symon, explores the life of “est” founder Werner Erhard.
[www.transformationfilm.com]
One must wonder if Screen Media Films President Robert Baruc is a "graduate" of est, "The Forum" or Landmark Forum.

I also wonder if Screen Media Films has been made aware that this "documentary" film, Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard - has Walter Maksym as its executive producer, Werner Erhard's attorney when he sued 20 members of the media/press, and someone who has been involved in Erhard's business dealings and publications related to him (Breakthru Publishing) etc, see blog post above - how could such a film with this sort of executive producer be considered a "documentary" at all?

Flick picks and pans: Mini movie reviews
[www.aspentimes.com]
Aspen Times - April 11, 2008

TRANSFORMATION: THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF WERNER ERHARD: It was 1972 when New Age guru Werner Erhard came to Aspen. EST took the town by storm. Trainings for over 200 participants at a time were held at the old Playhouse Theater. At its peak, it was conservatively estimated that half of Aspen had taken EST. The other half called graduates “EST-holes” and vowed never to be taken in by such a huckster. By the time he retired in 1984, 750,000 people had experienced EST. It’s been a long time but finally here’s a new documentary on the legendary Werner Erhard by two-time Emmy Award winner Robyn Symon. For those who took the training, this film is a reunion. For those just curious, it illuminates part of Aspen’s history. Here Erhard breaks the long silence about his ideas, his life and where he is today. With exclusive and rare footage, you’ll step inside controversial EST seminars, hear provocative interviews with participants, family members, experts and critics. (Wheeler Opera House)

I can't tell whether this is supposed to be an advertisement/promotional piece for the "documentary", or actually someone's honest attempt at a review, or both? Comments?

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: April 13, 2008 10:56AM

Its both. Exposing the writer as an LE graduate in the process. The article is written in a way that the writer is actually endorsing the film, and stating the reasons why you should too.
A non-graduate would merely describe the film, and leave its evaluation up to the viewer, should anyone choose to view it.
All in keeping with LE style on how to convey information, where they (covertly) tell a person what to think and believe, and (overtly) why they think and believe it. Its just a one person conversation, where one person writes a slanted review, and concurs with their own review. I imagine most forum leaders are required to become fluent in this type of conversation.

ajinajan
I can't tell whether this is supposed to be an advertisement/promotional piece for the "documentary", or actually someone's honest attempt at a review, or both? Comments?

Posted by: elena ()
Date: April 13, 2008 11:03PM

It is so odd to contemplate the effects that est and Werner Erhard had on the town of Aspen over time. One wonders how the drama played out in the lives of the people who lived there and, by extrapolation, how the influence was expressed in a larger sense. I'd love to see some sociological study. One thing I guess you could look at is the life of John Denver. As Werner's biggest fan and the one who was responsible for bringing est to Aspen, you might draw some fairly wry conclusions.

I imagine you could craft a sort of objective study tracking divorces, suicides, child abuse cases, and other such things that indicate a deterioration of cultural or social norms. Anyone able to come up with some determinant that might be specific to est? I could imagine tracing the business failures of shops that had a certain number of est graduates running things, for example. (Which makes me think of L. Ron Hubbard and his wacky crew of scientology-sailors who were told and believed they could run and navigate a ship using scientology "principles." They ended up wandering in circles until ElRon broke down and hired a real captain.)

Ellen

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: April 20, 2008 04:35PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned. But, Robyn Simmons says she's won several emmy's,

[www.symonproductions.com]

, for:

Best Human Interest - “Leap of Faith”
Best Feature - “Hemingway’s Key West”

And been involved in media for 25 years.

However if you search on the emmy site database for awards:

[www.emmys.tv]

with the Person name of "Robyn Symon" since 1976 (being generous beyond 25 years), nothing shows up. Also, the only listing for Robyn Symon on IMDB is for "Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard". I would think any director working in the industry would want to have references to their emmy awards work on IMDB. Strange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.