Recovery through exercise.
Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:00PM

I've really gotten into exercise since I lost my job. I'm doing it to burn off excess energy and bad vibes and deal with my frustration and anger surrounding my job loss and mental screwing that Landmark gave me.

My whole body is sore but I feel great. I hiked around my part of the city for a total of 9 hours last weekend. Last night I went to 24 hour fitness where I have a membership and practiced martial arts on a punching bag for over an hour. I kicked and punched it until I almost ran out of energy. The only reason I stoped is I caused my knuckels to start bleeding, got to get some hand wraps. I was so into it I didn't even know that I had hurt myself, I didn't feel a thing. I figured it would be prudent to stop and not go any further, but I could have easily gone on for another 30 minutes or longer.

I believe that exercise is a good remedy for frustration and a good way to deprogram Landmark and LGAT programming. I can't wait to get back to that punching bag and find a sparring partner. Also watchout weight machines here I come!

Re: Recovery through exercise.
Posted by: elena ()
Date: February 15, 2008 10:46PM

It's been shown through many studies and trials that exercise is as effective as pharmaceuticals are in the treatment of depression. The best outcome, clinically, is brought about by a combination of exercise and "talk-therapy." Some people are too low for that and for them drugs may be indicated but if you can get to a gym or hit the streets you can counteract the bad "vibes" all this trouble has done to your body and mind. Good for you. Landmark really isn't worth the time spent pondering unless you are deprogramming yourself or have some intellectual curiosity. It's garbage. Most people, thankfully, wouldn't give this a second thought -- anymore than they would Amway, scientology, some other "MLM," or buying lottery tickets. It really is just another low-grade scam typical in this country since the early days of the traveling salesmen and purveyors of snake-oil -- think "The Music Man" or "The Wizard of Oz." Their trick was to make their "product" some nebulous "spiritual" event that no one can really identify (pie-in-the-sky or "eternal life") and then disguise themselves as secular. That's not to say your life may not be demonstrably improved by maintaining some optimistic expectations but the sacrifice of your ability to think critically can lead you into places like Iraq.

Ellen

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 16, 2008 12:12AM

Hey,Tom Cruise said he could cure Brooke Shields with exercise sand vitamins! (and Scientology mind-wrecking brainwashing).
;-)

But seriously, exercise is fantastic, in everyway, as long as we don't go overboard and get injured, etc.
But if you want my 2 cents, also working in all the other ways is important. (I guess this should be in the Recovery threads?). But anyway.
Many people have mentioned Cognitive Therapy, which does work for many people.

If you look at this model below from CT, it does show that just by doing exercise, that Behavior will impact your Body-Somatic, which then affects your Emotions and Thoughts as well.
(something like losing a job would be in the Environment category in the model)

[www.mindovermood.com]

That is from a great book called "Mind Over Mood" by Christine A. Padesky, PhD.
I would highly recommend checking this book out from a library, or wherever. Its very clear lets a person get started quick.

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: February 16, 2008 02:17AM

Thanks for guys!

I'm doing several things to get better. I'm seeing a therapist and I'm taking an antidepressant. All of which is helping me tremendously.

By the way Tom Cruise is a Nut Bag, I've lost all respect for the man. Have you seen the You Tube vids of him, freakin creepy.

I can cure Brook Shields too! First I would start with keeping her away from that idiot Tom Cruise.......

Posted by: freedom fighter ()
Date: February 17, 2008 01:46PM

Exercise is good. It's getting me over a chronically injured whiplash injury. I used to whimper about carrying something heavy cause it would give me headaches afterwards(Migraine types). Now I'm able to lift heavier stuff than ever. I still get head aches sometimes but they don't interupt my day. Definitely works on getting the moods lifted. Unless I overdo it then I get in the dumps again.
ff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.