Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Fundraising at Landmark
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: October 07, 2007 07:54PM

hampton
Has anyone encountered fundraising at Landmark? There was an event at a Landmark center to raise money for Landmark's opening into China. It was marketed as an event to honor a man who was a humanitarian or something – I had never heard of the person. Tickets were sold to the event, with higher priced tickets available for seats near the front. As with everything in Landmark, there was a hard sell to purchase tickets. I did not attend, but people who did in my course were invited afterward to "share" about the experience and they spoke of it in almost awe-inspiring terms. How very sad that a for-profit business can so effectively manipulate people to give more money so they can open more for-profit centers.

I was in a Landmark course after Hurricane Katrina and a basket was passed around for participants to give cash that would supposedly go to the Red Cross for hurricane relief. I could imagine that Landmark would give a fraction of the money away and keep the rest for themselves as an administrative fee for handling the donations. And where there is cash involved, the accounting books inevitably fly out the window. To continue the sentiment that Landmark is a warm and caring organization, the course leader announced that Landmark was giving "scholarships" to anyone from New Orleans to attend the Forum for free. How convenient – take people who are completely traumatized and probably at the lowest emotional point of their lives, and use their susceptibility to indoctrinate them in Landmark "technology."

In the same course, a participant stood up and invited everyone to attend a concert that he was throwing to raise money for his relatives who lost their home in Katrina. He was reprimanded by the course leader for self-promotion. Anyone see a contradiction here? :?

Fundraising at a privately owned, FOR-PROFIT company?

Has anyone ever heard of "fundraising" at General Electric? Coca-Cola? Or how about the poor CEOs of Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, or British Petroleum? What would people say if those FOR-PROFIT corporations started "fundraising" ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Fundraising at Landmark
Posted by: MartinH ()
Date: October 07, 2007 09:23PM

ajinajan

Fundraising at a privately owned, FOR-PROFIT company?

Has anyone ever heard of "fundraising" at General Electric? Coca-Cola? Or how about the poor CEOs of Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, or British Petroleum? What would people say if those FOR-PROFIT corporations started "fundraising" ?

Don't worry, Landmark Education asks its layers before it does something ... :twisted:

It prohibits fundraising not to be in conflict with the law. It is even worse, out of their projects at the SELP course graduates feel like contributing something to their communities. Then Landmark holds them back ... not to be itself in some conflict with the law. Landmark Education has only arrogant and selfish goals. The nice SELP projects are for advertisement and for recruiting novel graduates for Landmark.

Fundraising at Landmark
Date: October 07, 2007 09:29PM

hampton
Has anyone encountered fundraising at Landmark? There was an event at a Landmark center to raise money for Landmark's opening into China. How very sad that a for-profit business can so effectively manipulate people to give more money so they can open more for-profit centers.

now I am confused, apparently Landmark is crossing the line :twisted:
We were told that the money is used to open offices in new countries, and not much money is left for paying employees adequately, or for having proper offices or service (very bad usually).

Maybe the weekly check for Werner Erhard is way too high. :twisted:

Fundraising at Landmark
Date: October 07, 2007 09:31PM

MartinH

Hehe, maybe, maybe ...

Fundraising at Landmark
Date: October 07, 2007 10:12PM

ajinajan
MartinH

Hehe, maybe, maybe ...

to be serious, the amount that is paid to Werner Erhard for licence is known, isn't it? Somewhat contradictory to do fundraising among graduates that pay for a course, and to pay Werner Erhard a large amount of money.

Fundraising at Landmark
Date: October 07, 2007 10:28PM

MartinH
ajinajan
MartinH

Hehe, maybe, maybe ...

to be serious, the amount that is paid to Werner Erhard for licence is known, isn't it? Somewhat contradictory to do fundraising among graduates that pay for a course, and to pay Werner Erhard a large amount of money.

The amount that is paid to Werner Erhard ... well, it is ambiguous at this point. There are a couple of interesting sources for that - namely the book OUTRAGEOUS BETRAYAL by Steven Pressman, The est of Friends article has some mention of licensing I think, [www.culteducation.com] , and then the article Pay Money Be Happy says a little more, but that is it as far as I can tell of any public reporting on financial links - [www.culteducation.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.