Current Page: 4 of 6
Landmark, Wachowski Brothers and The Matrix
Posted by: hossgal ()
Date: May 04, 2004 08:19AM

Hi, Hope and Tricky,

I think maybe what you're talking about are "The Four Pillars at the Foundation of Winning at the Games of Life". This is an actual title to a handout I recently got at one of my Landmark seminars.

The pillars are Integrity, Relationships, Existence and Enrollment.

Here are the definitions of each as presented in this handout:

Integrity:
*Integrity, at its most basic level, is doing what you said when you said you would do it.
*Integrity includes cleaning up the messes you anve made by not doing what you said, by breaking your promises, and not being desponsible for that.
*To maintain integrity requires discipline. By discipline we mean a condition of self-control, rigor and maintaining order.

Relationships:
* People become resources for your life. pelple may be the coaches for your game.
*Powerful people create powerful alliances with others: they have powerful resources. They allow other people to contribute to them. They network.

Existence:
* By existence we not only mean that the game exists but how the game exists.
* Possibility lives in conversation. Conversations by their nature go out of existence unless managed.
* Keeping a possiblity in existence requires having a structure -- for example milestones, a visual display, a tracking form, etc. You need to have something to keep the game alive in distance, time and form. Something to keep the game alive in reality.

Enrollment:
* Enrollment is causing new possibilities to be present for another such that they are touched, moved, and inspired by that possibility.
* Remember you can have any result you want for yourself and your life that you invent as a possibility and enroll others in your having gotten.

Hope this helps! One of the first turn-offs for me during the forum was their constant torture of the English language. "Your having gotten" was the most glaring example. I also got sick of hearing people exclaim, "I got it", "got that", I totally got it".

I've still got 4 seminars left that I'm "entitled" to attend. The only reason I can think of for torturing myself so is to get a book back that I loaned to a fellow attendee. Maybe get more fodder for this forum, but is it worth it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 04, 2004 11:30AM

Hossgal,

I bailed out of the "free seminars" because they weren't worth the gas nor the ride home alone late at night. I have some handouts but apparently missed the 4 pillars, in addition to the three gears.

Tricky, Everything I have to say has been posted. You'll have to check the archives regarding the questions on your last post.

Hope

Posted by: elena ()
Date: May 04, 2004 12:33PM

This is so bad it would be funny if so many people didn't take this stuff seriously. I can't imagine what they must be thinking. This stuff is garbage. I don't think even ole Werner was this bad.

Ellen

>>The pillars are Integrity, Relationships, Existence and Enrollment.

Here are the definitions of each as presented in this handout:

Integrity:
*Integrity, at its most basic level, is doing what you said when you said you would do it.
*Integrity includes cleaning up the messes you anve made by not doing what you said, by breaking your promises, and not being desponsible for that.
*To maintain integrity requires discipline. By discipline we mean a condition of self-control, rigor and maintaining order.

Relationships:
* People become resources for your life. pelple may be the coaches for your game.
*Powerful people create powerful alliances with others: they have powerful resources. They allow other people to contribute to them. They network.

Existence:
* By existence we not only mean that the game exists but how the game exists.
* Possibility lives in conversation. Conversations by their nature go out of existence unless managed.
* Keeping a possiblity in existence requires having a structure -- for example milestones, a visual display, a tracking form, etc. You need to have something to keep the game alive in distance, time and form. Something to keep the game alive in reality.

Enrollment:
* Enrollment is causing new possibilities to be present for another such that they are touched, moved, and inspired by that possibility.
* Remember you can have any result you want for yourself and your life that you invent as a possibility and enroll others in your having gotten.>>>

Date: May 04, 2004 01:35PM

Dunno what the gears are. I don't recall them being mentioned in the Forum. Ditto the four pillars, come to think of it. Maybe I slept through that part. Maybe that's the reason I feel so "untransformed". :D

Hope, how many seminars did you attend before you threw in the towel? Just curious. I'm also wondering how many visitors responding to this site have actually attended the Forum, and how many have witnessed friends or relatives go through it. (Watching from the sidelines, so to speak...)

My "seminar leader" called this evening and I just know I'm gonna get the business about finishing the seminar series! Might be fun to sit up front and put on my best Moonie smile for the SL.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 04, 2004 10:05PM

Its best to just screen your calls.

Some LGAT alumni have reported that they were under pressure to bring in as many recruits as possible.

So dont waste your energy. Let the phone take the calls, and if necessary change numbers.

Date: May 04, 2004 10:30PM

Thanks, Corboy.

I know what you mean about "Formicans" not hearing what we (the carbon-based fuel for the Landmark Machine) say. I sent my Seminar Leader into the most amazing screaming fit one evening when I refused to admit I was "wrong" AND "uncoachable".

I think the reason I haven't received more telephone calls from these people is they realize I'm no good to them. All of my friends have already heard the Landmark sales pitch and have told me not to bother them with it. They were quite up front with me about the pressure tactics and the negative impressions. Call me naive; I thought my SL would be interested in hearing how the Landmark sales pitch was backfiring -- and that was the start of her screaming fit.

I retained my critical mind throughout the Forum, and while a lot of the stuff presented had positives, the "coaching" was often demeaning and certainly the comfort and well-being of participants was secondary. I have found this internet forum very helpful in putting my whole Landmark experience into perspective.

This thread seems to be wandering away from the original "Matrix" topic -- so I'll just add if I catch any whiff of Landmark "philosophy" in any film I attend, I'll demand my $$ back. God willing, I'll hear about any Landmark connection BEFORE I plunk my cash down for a ticket.

Thanks again, Corboy, for your input!

Posted by: tricky ()
Date: May 04, 2004 11:58PM

Hossgal,
yeah, just the rumour that matrix had something to do with landmark made it less appealing for me... now, when I watch it, I just think of "BattleField Earth" or something... you just realize it isn't as wildly creative as you thought, it's rooted in dogma... to tell the truth I have doubts about wachowski rumour though...
too convenient. I think it just a good visual image for their forum "transformation".

yeah, I definitely wouldn't go to the seminar... and I would definitely tell the seminar leader or whatever off. I don't understand why you would let them "give you the business" about not going... and I know what you mean. "Well, what are you doing that night?", "what are your goals?", "where were you?", "what is your commitment?", "who are you being right now?", "didn't you take a stand for completing the seminar?"... I mean, how can you let some smarmy polyester guy ask you questions like that and treat you like an idiot? The main thing, I think, to realize is that you have no more connection to landmark than you do to your local mcdonald's or your local movie theater or whatever. "your commitment to finish the seminar" PUHHHLEEAAAZZZZZ. What respected school would have one of the professors call you every night to get you to come to class?
We are talking about Amway here.

As for the four pillars, what a magnificent littany of vague meaningless language. It would probably take you hours, if not days, to write down and translate what those slogans mean to you and how they could be applied to your life. I guarantee it that probably almost no one ever really thought about that stuff carefully... it's just vague feel good stuff that SEEMS relevant to yourself.

Like, what is your experience of

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wait. "possibility lives in conversation". ???

What does it mean to say "possibility lives"? Possibility is a process word. What does it even mean to just say "possibility" in that context with no referential framework?

possibility
possibility
possibility
possibility
possibility
possibility
possibility

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, huh? "A possibility" is something that is possible. "Possibility" as a generalized term... what, does that mean "everything that is possible"? Does it mean "The power of possibility"? Ok, again, what is "possibility"? And how does "possibility live"? This is just linguistic nonsense. There is barely one decent noun in that entire explanation of "the four pillars".

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 05, 2004 05:32AM

Hossgal,

I think I did three, maybe four, nights of the seminar series (are there 10?). SInce the Forum was pretty disappointing, I thought the seminar series would help make up for that. It didn't. I had also experienced the "high" after Forum, and then the crash, so I thought maybe I needed to review (See - they got me even when I didn't think they did). The seminar series was clearly the training ground for some of the volunteers\employees to move up, and just a massive sales campaign. We lost about 50% of the participants by the time I left, and only started out with about 80 people.

I also had bronchitis by the 3rd week, which sort of put the icing on the cake as far as making a decision. Even though I was in contact with the seminar leader, and I had let her know I wasn't coming back for the above reasons, I continued to get calls from volunteers, some 11 pm because I hadn't "stated my intent" to some person I didn't know I was supposed to do that with. Turned out to be someone like a customer service rep. When I sent a letter, the calls stopped.

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: May 05, 2004 11:17AM

I'm horrified by the 4 pillars.

Life is not a game, it is a gift!

Every human life that comes into our life is a gift too, not a resource.

By labeling life as a game and people as a resource, it gives LE Grads the feeling that they can do anything they like to anyone for their own gain in winning their game or creating their little God like universe. When the use by date of a person, (resource) expires, cut off from that person, "break from the past" and move on. - what a cut throat, dog eat dog mentality. - peace in the world by 2020 via LE - I don't think so. :(

No wonder there are so many relationship breakups caused by participation in this hiddious org call Landmark Education.

I challenge all LE Grads to sit down and quietly meditate on the selfishness embeded within the philosophy of the 4 pillars. How does doing something for someone with no benefit for yourself, (sacrifice), work into this?

Oz

Date: May 05, 2004 12:30PM

Hope
Hossgal,

I think I did three, maybe four, nights of the seminar series (are there 10?). SInce the Forum was pretty disappointing, I thought the seminar series would help make up for that. It didn't. I had also experienced the "high" after Forum, and then the crash, so I thought maybe I needed to review (See - they got me even when I didn't think they did). The seminar series was clearly the training ground for some of the volunteers\employees to move up, and just a massive sales campaign. We lost about 50% of the participants by the time I left, and only started out with about 80 people.

I also had bronchitis by the 3rd week, which sort of put the icing on the cake as far as making a decision. Even though I was in contact with the seminar leader, and I had let her know I wasn't coming back for the above reasons, I continued to get calls from volunteers, some 11 pm because I hadn't "stated my intent" to some person I didn't know I was supposed to do that with. Turned out to be someone like a customer service rep. When I sent a letter, the calls stopped.

Thanks for the reply, Hope. Like you, I did have a high going after the Forum, and I felt like the seminars kept that going for a while. Seems that more and more time was spent on the "marketing" and less on the "philosophy/theory/review/whatever". So the prolongation of the "high" ceased to work for me. For a while after the Forum weekend I felt SO good I even reduced my dosage of (admittedly mild) antidepressants. That was a mistake! Reality slapped me back to my senses. My inner sceptic is back and stronger than ever. (Gee, thanks, Landmark!)

I have made it clear to the SL that I have no interest in any further Landmark offerings. I was lucky to get through the first one, knowing now how dangerous this can be for even mildly depressed persons. I shudder to think what could happen to someone who enters LE with an undiagnosed mental issue. More of this crap I don't need!

Never mind how "clear" I made my intentions to the SL. I just checked my voice mail, and sure enough, there's a message from LE about some damn "exciting new communication opportunity called 'The Transformers'"! Heck, I thought that was some kid's cartoon and plastic toy series from the '80's. Maybe there's a connection here? Transformer -- plastic -- Stepford Wives--
Toys -- games(of life) -- cartoon -- Matrix (SFX).

It may take a letter to get 'em to leave me alone. Misanthropic depressives like me have no business hangin' with this bunch!

:mad:

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.