Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Life after Landmark and their annoying calls.
Posted by: maurice ()
Date: August 31, 2007 02:36AM

I've been away from this forum for a little while because i got myself a holiday to recharge myself and let go of all the things that have come to my life in this last year, from the Landmark seminar to the discovery of the truth to my recovery.
I've been feeling better and better day by day, week by week. My rage started to fade, especially after i finished my revision of the forum, writing down almost everything i could remember. Then I cut the bridges with basically everyone who was, and still is, involved in the cult and cancel them completely from my life. I found myself thinking about that horrible time less and less. When I went on holiday, i forced myself not to check any forum or group or website about landmark, i wanted a completely cult-free time. I started to go out with old friends, going clubbing, restaurants, cinemas, i got a new job, i put my finances back on track. I left my old job to do the SELP and ended up broke, now just yesterday i paid off my last credit card repayment. My card is clear and my bank account is up again. I finally think my recovery is almost complete. Now i've come back from my holiday and tho i still check rick ross message broad, i don't write anymore, nor i felt the need till today. Not because I'm not interested anymore but because i felt it's time to move on.
Today, then, something extremely upsetting happened. I've been called from the Landmark office.

-Hi this is (some guy) from Landmark Education. How are you today?
-F*** off. [i:643b14edee](click)[/i:643b14edee]

I had been told by a few staff that my file had been cancelled. Now i found not only that they didn't cancel my data, they didn't even have the decency to put me in their 'don't call' list. Obviously I have been lied to (and I can't believe that surprised me). Now i feel furious. Just when I thought I had my life back, they come back calling me. I don't even think this is the first time, i found some unknown missed calls in the past, I just thought they were some friends or relatives (and some times they were, so i never worried). I can't believe this is happening. I am going to the London office a.s.a.p. to complain, to tell them in their face what i think of them. This nightmare must end. Maybe they'll just smile at me and pretend not to understand what I'm talking about, and I'll have to change my number (which I don't want to because I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG) but at least I'll clear the air and feel lighter (well at least from my side. They'll always be repugnant).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: August 31, 2007 02:49AM

maurice
I've been away from this forum for a little while because i got myself a holiday to recharge myself and let go of all the things that have come to my life in this last year, from the Landmark seminar to the discovery of the truth to my recovery.
I've been feeling better and better day by day, week by week. My rage started to fade, especially after i finished my revision of the forum, writing down almost everything i could remember. Then I cut the bridges with basically everyone who was, and still is, involved in the cult and cancel them completely from my life. I found myself thinking about that horrible time less and less. When I went on holiday, i forced myself not to check any forum or group or website about landmark, i wanted a completely cult-free time. I started to go out with old friends, going clubbing, restaurants, cinemas, i got a new job, i put my finances back on track. I left my old job to do the SELP and ended up broke, now just yesterday i paid off my last credit card repayment. My card is clear and my bank account is up again. I finally think my recovery is almost complete. Now i've come back from my holiday and tho i still check rick ross message broad, i don't write anymore, nor i felt the need till today. Not because I'm not interested anymore but because i felt it's time to move on.
Today, then, something extremely upsetting happened. I've been called from the Landmark office.

-Hi this is (some guy) from Landmark Education. How are you today?
-F*** off. [i:89f5e0160e](click)[/i:89f5e0160e]

I had been told by a few staff that my file had been cancelled. Now i found not only that they didn't cancel my data, they didn't even have the decency to put me in their 'don't call' list. Obviously I have been lied to (and I can't believe that surprised me). Now i feel furious. Just when I thought I had my life back, they come back calling me. I don't even think this is the first time, i found some unknown missed calls in the past, I just thought they were some friends or relatives (and some times they were, so i never worried). I can't believe this is happening. I am going to the London office a.s.a.p. to complain, to tell them in their face what i think of them. This nightmare must end. Maybe they'll just smile at me and pretend not to understand what I'm talking about, and I'll have to change my number (which I don't want to because I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG) but at least I'll clear the air and feel lighter (well at least from my side. They'll always be repugnant).

Is there a person in the local police force or the government that you can complain to about this harassment, instead of getting nowhere with the company?

Date: August 31, 2007 02:57AM

ajinajan
Is there a person in the local police force or the government that you can complain to about this harassment, instead of getting nowhere with the company?

I doubt the police will see a case in 'how are you' calls. But I will call them if Landmark keeps calling me after my complains.

Posted by: spoony ()
Date: August 31, 2007 03:40AM

ajinajan

I've got so much out of your posts in the past and I'm really happy to hear you've got things sorted out - well done!

You should know that it's illegal in the UK for them to call you if you've told them you don't want to be called. They are aware of the law (I know as I spent way too much time 'assisting') but as you know, their blinkers are on good and proper and they're trained to think of a 'no' as a 'no for now'. Register your numbers with the Telephone Preference Service and tell the centre manager that you've done that and that you won't hesitate to take matters further if they don't comply.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: August 31, 2007 04:41AM

spoony
ajinajan

I've got so much out of your posts in the past and I'm really happy to hear you've got things sorted out - well done!

You should know that it's illegal in the UK for them to call you if you've told them you don't want to be called. They are aware of the law (I know as I spent way too much time 'assisting') but as you know, their blinkers are on good and proper and they're trained to think of a 'no' as a 'no for now'. Register your numbers with the Telephone Preference Service and tell the centre manager that you've done that and that you won't hesitate to take matters further if they don't comply.

All very good options which should be taken.

I was simply also suggesting to contact the local police, government agencies and Ministry of Labour, so that they are aware of the existence and specifics of the actions of this controversial organization.

More information is always a good thing.

Posted by: yutolia ()
Date: August 31, 2007 05:07AM

maybe change your phone number. make it unlisted. i know this sounds simple, but sometimes the simplest things can work to foil these malicious corporations.

Date: August 31, 2007 05:30AM

yutolia
maybe change your phone number. make it unlisted. i know this sounds simple, but sometimes the simplest things can work to foil these malicious corporations.

I know I could, but I'd prefer to save it as the very last desperate measure. You see, it's a principle thing. I have done nothing wrong. I am the one who's been conned, deceived. I'm the one humiliated and harassed. And now they're back at me again. I know that changing my number would be the simplest solution, but why should I? Isn't it like surrendering to their violence? Isn't it like giving up, accepting these things to be done to you? I don't want to change my numbers, to hide, to escape. I won't suffer this or tolerate them any longer. I'll be there at the office and tell them in their face. Sometime enough is enough. It's about human dignity and self respect. I have done nothing wrong and I refuse to be the one adjusting my life. I'm a Londoner. When they put bombs in the tube, I didn't stop traveling. And if cult members annoy me I won't change my number.
Landmark is still bothering me and I've had enough, and I intend to fight. That's the way I wanna live. I said I wanna get back to my life and move on without thinking about them anymore. That doesn't mean I am gonna hide from them forever. They. Have. To. Stop. Bothering. Me.

PS I'm not ranting at you yutolia, I know what you ment and I thank you for your interest! I'm just making a point.

Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:52AM

Maurice,

LE folks sound like dope dealers calling you up after hearing you went to an NA meeting.

They don't call me, although they used to.

I tend to not f-ck around, though.

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: August 31, 2007 07:39PM

I have asked repeatedly to be put in the do not call book and to have my details removed from the data base. It has not happened. Eventually I sent an email a day to their world headquarters complaining and for about a year I got no phone calls. Unfortunately it was not permanent.

so now when they call i use their language to bully them about keeping their word and integrity etc It usually results in them hanging up in a couple of minutes and no more phone calls for around 3 - 4 months

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: September 01, 2007 05:08AM

Maurice, that is FANTASTIC you have been able to move forward, and get things going again. You are doing great, keep up the good work.
This recent setback can be used to your own advantage in the healing process. It really can.

I will tell you my opinion, and what I would if receiving these types of calls.

Changing ones number, and going unlisted, in my opinion, is a not a healthy thing to do, but of course it might be needed in certain cases...

Werner Erhard is the coward hiding from the world, not us. He's the crook who needs to hide from reality and the world, not us.

I think the... F*** off. (click)
...method is quite good. Truthful, and to the point.

But if they continued to call back after that, I would interrupt them right away and ask the persons full name, location, business address, etc.
Write all of that down in ink with a pen, with the date in a little journal, like a little police book that cops use at the scene of crimes. That can be used as evidence if needed.

For fun, a person might even say.."I also want to make you aware this phone call may be recorded".

I would then explain to them that I am going to my lawyer to block Landmark and any of their people from ever calling me again.
For fun, one might add a few catchphrases like...Get It? Have you "gotten it"?

Then I would mail Landmark local and national a Cease & Desist notice through a lawyer, or even just have it notarized by a para-legal for the date. One would include the dates of the harassment, the names of the people conducting the personal harassment.
Then it would be sent via registered mail.
(there are sample Cease and Desist letters online).
[www3.dncsolution.com]

I would also send a carbon copy to the Do Not Call Lists, Attorney General, local police harassment, etc.
I would make sure Landmark sees that the same letter has gone to the authorities.

It might sound like a lot of work, but it can actually be a very healthy psychological exercise in positive Assertiveness Training.
The person is standing up, in a rational and legal manner, and forcing the aggressors to back down.

So that is what I would do. I would never tolerate more abuse of the system from that type of company.
Landmark clearly keeps a database of former victims, and uses them as leads, as perhaps they can convert a few back into taking more courses.

But the bottom line if Landmark is breaking the law by violating the Do Not Call lists in the US, they can be fined.
Personally, I would escalate the complaint to the authorities, and follow it through.

But in general for telemarketers, I find this is enough...
-telling them the call is being recorded.
-asking all of their personal information.
-telling them verbally to cease and desist.
-sending a cease and desist letter registered mail if needed.

If anyone continues to harass you after that, that is breaking the law. The only recourse then is to go to the relevant authorities and start that process.
Again, a lot of work, but it can be a very healthy exercise in positive and rational Assertiveness, that has many other benefits.
Of course, each person has to decide what works best for them in their own life.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.