Any info on this LGAT is appreciated...
Posted by: Vodnik ()
Date: August 15, 2007 10:51AM

Hi. This is my first post here. Since lurking on this forum and learning about LGATs, I have been wondering if anyone can give me a name for the particular LGAT I am about to describe. I preface it with a little bit of a story, and the fact that receiving an answer is a complete shot in the dark.

A long time ago (1990-92), I lived in California and had a friend whose name I will withhold. He was an awesome dude, and I considered him a very good friend. We had an association through meetings we attended, and became skydiving buddies. He also collected antique cars (the kind you have to crank to start) and we'd cruise around in them. Just an awesome dude all the way around.

Well, after knowing him for a about a year or so, he told me he had attended this "conference" over a weekend, and that it was awesome. He basically said that it was a conference just for men, and that they got in touch with their machismo, or inner man. He told me the name of the guy running it, but I can no longer remember that name. He also said it was a relatively new "concept" (movement).

Anyway, to make a long story short, he began attending these "weekend conferences" on a regular basis, and after about 3-4 months, he cut off all ties to his friends. After he told me to my face that he could no longer hang out, I never saw him again. Needless to say, his other friends that I knew said that they never spoke to him again after he said the same thing to them. He also dumped his girlfriend.

Although there is a huge lack of information, does any know of any "men only" LGATs that started up in northern California in the early nineties? If I were to see the "leader's" name in print, I know I would recognize it.

Any answers are appreciated, and sorry for the vagueness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:07AM

Vodnik
Hi. This is my first post here. Since lurking on this forum and learning about LGATs, I have been wondering if anyone can give me a name for the particular LGAT I am about to describe. I preface it with a little bit of a story, and the fact that receiving an answer is a complete shot in the dark.

A long time ago (1990-92), I lived in California and had a friend whose name I will withhold. He was an awesome dude, and I considered him a very good friend. We had an association through meetings we attended, and became skydiving buddies. He also collected antique cars (the kind you have to crank to start) and we'd cruise around in them. Just an awesome dude all the way around.

Well, after knowing him for a about a year or so, he told me he had attended this "conference" over a weekend, and that it was awesome. He basically said that it was a conference just for men, and that they got in touch with their machismo, or inner man. He told me the name of the guy running it, but I can no longer remember that name. He also said it was a relatively new "concept" (movement).

Anyway, to make a long story short, he began attending these "weekend conferences" on a regular basis, and after about 3-4 months, he cut off all ties to his friends. After he told me to my face that he could no longer hang out, I never saw him again. Needless to say, his other friends that I knew said that they never spoke to him again after he said the same thing to them. He also dumped his girlfriend.

Although there is a huge lack of information, does any know of any "men only" LGATs that started up in northern California in the early nineties? If I were to see the "leader's" name in print, I know I would recognize it.

Any answers are appreciated, and sorry for the vagueness.

Actually, that sounds like Justin Sterling's scam-job.
I had another fiancee who was a part of that cult. She's in accounting for shows produced by Warner Bros. There was a women's division of Sterling's cult...women who had to accept men as the macho/cro-magnon man mentality and be subservient.

Man, I gotta get sig-others who don't do cults.

Posted by: yutolia ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:09AM

There was some kind of men's movement run in the early nineties by a guy named Robert Bly, which sounds kind of similar to what you described. I'm not sure that it is the same thing, though.
Hopefully that was helpful,
Yutolia

Posted by: ezdoesit ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:45AM

That was going to be my guess also.

Something about "Iron John" and groups that formed around his book and some kind of "men's lib."

EZ

Posted by: SaneAgain ()
Date: August 15, 2007 04:09PM

Have a look under MKP - Mankind Project - it has hundreds of branches all over the world and may.

Date: October 05, 2007 02:54AM

I agree that it sounds like Sterling crap. We have some really sweet friends that we cared about a whole lot, spent a lot of time with. They tried to get my husband to go to a men's weekend, said it would change his life, had NO answer for us when we asked them point blank what organization conducted these "events". Mentioned they would let me know when a women's weekend was coming up. The women shared with me how much healing they received at these weekends. Nobody had any straight answers. Who put on these events, what happened during them, etc. We only got vague responses like, "Do you trust me? You know I would not get you involved in anything that would be harmful." Lots of Sterling and Landmark "buzz words" were used. I started doing research online and found a great deal of information (particularly on this website) about Justin Sterling and his filthy little band of misogynists. The friendship, for a number of reasons, has degenerated, and my husband and I are absolutely devastated. Our lives will never be the same. The Sterling Institute of Relationships is to sexism what the KKK is to racism. And our friends are as brainwashed as it gets. We see it so clearly now and have no idea how we never saw it before.

I would recommend no one falling for these people's lies. Your heart will only shatter in the end. Then you can add that to your "story", as they say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.