Current Page: 29 of 33
Re: Quest (Johannesburg South Africa)
Posted by: Sane Again ()
Date: September 23, 2010 07:52PM

For the benefit of anyone struggling to find Quest Seminars now known as The Quest Institue - run by Wendy and Buster Sefor - anywhere on the internet, and particularly those who have been "referred" by Dr Janne Dannerup

Here is her website address

Dr Janne Dannerup

www.jmdpsych.com

And here is the Quest Seminars Quest Institute Home Page

The Quest Institute

www.thequestinstitute.co.za/quest-institute

To Dr Janne Dannerup, her patients and any other future Quest Recruits

Please read this thread and the academic psychology research articles referred to, which explain the problems caused by similar mass marathon transformation trainings.

Please also read the articles on coercive persusasion.

At least make an informed decision before you sell your friends, family or clients to Quest Seminars

At least make an informed decision and think carefully before you sign the indemnity forms.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ryk ()
Date: October 11, 2010 02:44AM

Sane Again
Ryk

If someone can help me make sense of these experiences, I'd really like to know (or was this just me?)

No, not just you! (Those hallucinations and so on) If you do a search on 'psychosis' and 'hallucination' on this forum, you'll find quite a few similar experiences.

I also remember people deep into Quest (and happily so) cheerfully discussing their 'spirit guides' in great detail - size, colour, shape, how they met them or how others in the group who were more 'psychic' saw them. Not to mention less cheery stories about malevolent spirits that had to be cleansed from their houses. At the time I thought they were "making up stories" but now I suspect they actually did believe the stories, as they were hallucinations.

Sane Again, some time after completing the workshops at the Insight Training Centre, I did experience more hallunications- a couple of times I experienced that which others have described as "near death experiences." There were a few occassions (whilst sleeping- in the middle of the night)where I literally felt something leaving my body and upon entering the white light tunnel, the sensation of pure bliss started overwhelming me. Resistance was almost impossible and I did not want to leave the tunnel, but desired to go through it. The sensation of bliss was the same as entering the deep meditative state on the Saturday before "discovering my life purpose". The picture is beginning to unfold for me now. Thank you.

Ryk

Date: October 11, 2010 02:48AM

Sane Again
Ryk

If someone can help me make sense of these experiences, I'd really like to know (or was this just me?)

I remember during the Joyspring workshop, going towards the stage to get my life contract validated- I wrote things on a piece of paper that for sure was not my hand writing- I write very illegibly, but this was pure and beautiful.

About where to go for help making sense of these experiences - I don't know. This is what I have found helpful (and not helpful)

(I'm writing it as advice but considering I am pretty skrewed up still, take it all with a pinch of salt and a lot of skepticism).
(Also - I've said some of it before, but there are new things that I hadn't considered before)

Sane again:

The screwed upness- I am pretty much with you on that one and pretty much still as messed up as before. I still cannot make freakin (wanna say something else) headway. This is so infuriating!! Fuck!#@# (sorry).

Date: October 11, 2010 03:29AM

mangwanya
One of the dudes from the centre inboxed me this:

To: mangwanya
Date: 07/06/2009 05:02PM

hi
i completed a both Turning Point and JoySpring almost the same month that Mangwanya walked out. i agree with the faciliator of the workshop fully that he will only give you your money back after you have completed and if you are at that point not satisfied. we had someone who walked out during our workshop but begged to come back and is totally satisfied with the results. a very close friend whom i also introduced to the workshop left on the third day as well of the second workshop but went back as well and as he calls it he is over the moon and can't comprehend the transformation he has undergone in this short space of time. i think that many of us had a problem with the methodoligy used but we went into the workshop open minded and wanted results hence we focused beyond our thoughts and feelings a method used which the writer himself made mention of.

my advise to the writer and all other viewers from a stranger who is just a friend you do not know, i recommend that you go back to the workshop and complete it if you do not after completion get the satisfaction many of us got then i guess you can take whatever action you wish. i am certain that there were reasons that drew you to enter the workshop don't fail yourself because of the method and also because of the fear you are faced with when dealing with feelings. take a step and do this for yourself

love and light
i believe that we are all beautiful souls punishing oursleves for issues we have no control over so we are human and all make mistakes give life a chance give you a chance.

WHAT A TRUCKLOAD OF GARBAGE. THIEVES!

Marcelle:

WHAT HOGWASH!! And I see that you have also been indoctrinated by their slogan- going beyond thinking and feeling.

1. I did not choose the workshop to deal with issues in my life - I was perfectly happy , and then sent by my employer, under a smoke screen of "developing relationships and finding my true life purpose".
2. I never suffered from any medical or psychiatric condition, untill after the workshops.
3. I thought the workshops were fantastic, until the truth dawned upon me and my loved ones were telling me that they have no clue who I have become- and it was everything BUT living my life contract. I could not have been deluded more.
4. I completed the mile and did countless events of "assisting," every time searching again and again for the "bliss." I went in deeper and deeper and deeper, until one day when a big black hole swallowed me.
3. I am still trying to put my sanity back together again.
4. Take the advice from the moderator and read the whole thread. It may give you a different perspective.
5. I'm glad that you think that you are ok.
6. Take care of yourself and please wake up from the delusion.
Ryk

Date: October 11, 2010 04:11AM

Sane Again
Symbolic Rituals - ancient rites

Ryk, if you are still out there...

I think the reason the effects are so long lasting and "hair-raising" is that in Joyspring and Inquest in particular (second level courses) they use elements of ancient symbolic initiation rituals. They combine that with the more modern brainwashing techniques discussed generally in this forum and the cult books.

Every known culture, throughout remembered history, has had 'extreme' rituals of one kind or another, for initiation. Usually for young (adolescent) boys and girls, to initiate them into adulthood - and to imprint the rules and values of the tribe or culture onto the participants, so that they can fit into the community and be useful in it.

The most worrying aspect of this is that the rituals are symbolic - beneath rational thought - and very dramatic and emotive - in the past they had to be very powerful to maintain the culture and rules, particularly where there was no literacy.

I have not read anything of this aspect in any of the literature on cults, or on this forum. Some describe modern rituals of the cult, but dismiss them as not very important, or as shallow things specific to the cult.

Over time I have come to realise that it is the elements of ancient ritual that are the most destructive and powerful and long-lasting. Everything else is window-dressing or a hook to get people into more courses. These 'modern' aspects are also very strong, based on sophisticated and subtle brainwashing techniques developed in recent times in the military, in psychology studies and in in marketing studies. I am not dismissing them. They are bad enough.

The ancient ritual elements are far more frightening because they have stood the test of time, world-wide. They have survived because they are effective. That is thousands of years of 'experiment' and 'empirical evidence' as opposed to the last 100 years or so of fairly narrow insights (eg Freud and his small set of clients in Vienna) and some military-industrial experiments.

I think the problem with recovering from cult experiences is that the symbolic, unspoken, ritualistic, metaphorical, poetic, dramatic and emotional elements are not attended to.

Ryk - for an example - you remember what your life contract was (the words) and what they SAID about it... but how much attention have you paid to the ritual and unspoken elements of it?

If Joyspring is like Inquest, then on the first day you are given a "bad name tag"... then emotionally bludgeoned with that tag for a few days, by trainers as well as other group members. When you 'get' your life contract - they take your bad name tag off. Do you remember that? That is approximately followed by a death ritual / funeral march with emotive music, to go with your contract, and some kind of love-bombing or other great approval all round.

I think the act of putting the name tag on, then abusing throught that tag, then removing that tag in the midst of a dramatic emotional experience - the symbolic action of what is done with the name tag is as important (or even, more important) than what you consciously and verbally remember - the words of your contract.

That whole episode is a life-death-rebirth ritual, probably stolen from several ancient rituals and adapted to the purposes of the lgat (ie profit).

There are hundreds of small symbolic things going on all the time. As an assistant you see a lot more of the details of them, but the explanations for them are pretty shallow (clear the energy, blah blah)

Maybe what I am saying seems obvious, but I haven't read anything that helps me with this element. Not shallow modern newly-invented rituals, but the use of ancient proven rituals.

I have thought about the 'flashbacks' I have had and have been able to tie them all back to symbolic things that were DONE, rather than what was said.

For example: in the first course there is the 'nothing' game, at the end of which you are 'enlightened' (shocked and dissociated) and then you blow out the candle at the door. I don't usually use candles at home but I got some for my birthday, and started lighting a candle if I woke up in the night, just to sit for a while without too much light. Then, I'd blow out the candle, go back to bed, and have Quest nightmares.

Another odd thing is posters. A while back I put some posters up in my house, kids' stuff. It made me feel queasy. Later I took the posters down to paint the wall, and that made me feel a whole lot better, but also with sweating and shaking going on. I realised it was to do with putting up and taking down the life contract posters, at Quest.

I'm finding that tracking down of symbolic and metaphorical things quite helpful, so I thought I'd write it down here to maybe help other people, and also find out whether anyone else has paid attention to all these non-verbal elements.

If anyone does remember any specifics of these non-verbal ritualistic elements, please do write about them.

Sane again (I wish I could also say this with conviction)

Thanks so much for the research done and posted here. I have been off-line for some time and am really grateful to see that the conversation carries on.

It has been since 2003 for me- and the freakin memories remain- many times brought on by a song they played during one of the games. I have indeed not given much attention to the rituals and the unspoken elements of it. Come to think of it- the deep meditative state and ensuing bliss went something like this:
Silence hovered around me for lenghts of time, whilst digging as deep as I could to open up to the "inner voice", simultaneously seeing others make their "breakthroughs" and going to the front to confront their destinies. Then, my body started shaking uncontrollably- first from my hands and feet, and later from inside my guts, and I moved forward, against the will of my body, towards the "contract board". During this time, I could not utter any words, and a sense of utter bliss came over me like waves, consuming me. Then I stepped up to the "contract board", where I wrote down my life purpose, saying it out loud (with difficulty, I remember). It felt very frightening! Then followed an invitation by the facilitator to step forward and into it, followed by the knowledge (mentioned afterwards) that I will regret it severely if I dared turn my back on my life contract. After stepping forward, my body could take it no more and it felt like I was going adrift, going up into the air. An emotive song followed (Nature boy, by Nat King Cole), kind of confirming "who I am"- (in this case "I am caring") and I woke up, being carried and cradled by the assistants and stroked and "loved". I assume this is the love bombing that you mentioned.

The "bad name tag" also happens, very much like you described it. I remember the words very clearly and today, it fuc....ing still pisses me off.
The candle ritual are also done in very much the same way. I remember one night soon afterwards, my wife ran a bath for me, and put a candle on the side of the bath. This simple thing had such impact, I felt extremely emotional and vulnerable in that bathtub. I have forgotten about that until you mentioned that ritual- and it makes so much more sense now. I also recall the Kundalini ritual, where we were subjected to a strange spell of sounds whilst "vibrating" your body as feverishly and fast as possible. Then there was the anger game, where you could hit a pillow on the floor and spit you poison against whatever you needed to- typically people who hurt you in your past. During this game, I unleashed everything inside of me, and ended up bruising both my hands. If and when I remember more details, I will write about them again.

Ryk

Posted by: Doctor Maxpayne ()
Date: March 24, 2011 06:50PM

IMHO Quest is the satanic cult which is using trauma - based mind control techniques and NLP purely for purporses of job creation and enrichment for Quest's bossess and their families and their friends of bossess' families.

Dr. Maxpayne

Posted by: Doctor Maxpayne ()
Date: March 24, 2011 07:22PM

Quest is harmful, dangerous to mental health of participants (Questies) and illegal from HPCA's point of view. Any medical practitioner registered with the relevant professional board of the HPCSA (Health Professions Council of South Africa) should abstain from commending Quests activities or reffering patients to them. They are NOT REGISTERED medical practitioners or psychologists.
Any Questie who suffered from the "seminars" as the result of their trauma - based mind control and programming can report activities of the Quest bossess to HPCSA on: 012 338 9300 or visit www.hpcsa.co.za

Stay healthy!

Dr. Maxpayne

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:26PM

The most worrying aspect of this is that the rituals are symbolic - beneath rational thought - and very dramatic and emotive - in the past they had to be very powerful to maintain the culture and rules, particularly where there was no literacy.

What may be going on is use of trance induction.

To learn more look up posts by Walter1963 and The Anticult who have described various techniques used in other groups. Some of this may be similar to what you are describing. (put all dates into the search slot so you can get all the posts)

Search terms to include would be Ericksonian and nested loops. The search button is at the top right corner of the window for the RI website.

This is NOT a substitute for obtaining assistance from a qualified exit counselor. Part of the exit counseling process is learning exactly what techniques were used on you, given by someone who has studied different groups in addition to Quest, and can tell you that you were on the the receiving end of an organized process whose nature and methods were told told to you in advance.

An exit counselor can also advise on how to cope with lingering after effects.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: March 28, 2011 04:23AM

'I think the problem with recovering from cult experiences is that the symbolic, unspoken, ritualistic, metaphorical, poetic, dramatic and emotional elements are not attended to.'

You might find this book helpful in understanding how powerful these things are in the culture and why it is virtually impossible to discuss them as a group effort in general terms:

[www.amazon.com]

Here is a brief exerpt:

[theliterarylink.com]

The great classic writers and artists have always used the symbols, rituals and metaphors already existing in the culture to evoke a response in the viewer/reader and to speak allegorically to an audience. Here is an interesting take on a western classic novel that conveyed a very different meaning to a different cultural audience:

[letthewordsflow.wordpress.com]

This is probably more 'in depth' than most people exiting cults want to delve, but for those interested I think it is a very fruitful exercise in understanding ourselves and why we respond the way we do to these very slick operators of LGATS who are using organisational and business games, symbols, rituals and metaphors to separate us not only from our cash but from our own past, identity and idiosyncratic view of the world.

Like Humbert wants to 'fix' Lolita, the LGAT wants to fix its followers 'in the same manner that the butterfly is fixed; he wants her, a living breathing human being, to become stationary, to give up her life for the still life he offers her in return…'

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:51AM

A good general, non-sensational book on the subtle forms of Ericksonian trance induction is:

[www.amazon.com]

The author was a clinical psychologist and trainer in the Ericksonian method who conducted in-house training for hospitals, universities, dental and psychological associations. He does use embedded commands throughout the book but explains that he is doing that at the start and helpfully capitalises the commands so that they are obvious.

There is a lot of imagery and metaphor use in the text but this book will explain how and why hypnosis actually works. It demystifies it so that it is understood as it really is, rather than a scary control mechanism used by bogeymen.
It can of course be misused as, in the wrong hands, can anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 07:52AM by Stoic.

Current Page: 29 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.