Friend in Landmark. What can I do to help her?
Posted by: jokesonme ()
Date: May 11, 2007 11:46PM

After reading through the personal accounts on this and other sites about LGATs, I'm more and more afraid there's nothing I can do to help my friend in Landmark. I had heard of these things before she went, and joked around with her when she told me about it that she was joining a cult. I thought she would be able to rise above their tactics, and that maybe there would be a good story about the crazies that ran it, but I realise now I should not have been so flippant about this extremely manipulative and dangerous group.

How can someone volunteer to give up their critical thinking skills? It makes me so angry that they have taken this otherwise smart person away from herself. She went because she wanted to be more focused on her work (she does independant creative work) and better at marketing herself, but instead she uses the excuse of working on a project to get people together to try to force landmark on them. She's lost most of her clients and given up on many of the things she had going in exchange for spending more time on classes and volunteering.

The way the landmark "logic" is set up, anything that isn't pro-landmark is a waste of time. She talks about having an open mind, but she won't consider any point of view that isn't positive about landmark. She actually said to me that there is "no right and wrong." How can it be legal to put people in a state where they believe this? Why haven't these groups been shut down?

I know this has probably all been said before, and many people have experienced far worse at the hands of these shucksters than my friend. Please excuse the ranting. Is there anything I can do to help? Is my friendship with her over?

Thanks for any help!

-jokesonme

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: May 12, 2007 04:35AM

Here are a couple of dialogues that may help:

[board.culteducation.com]

Date: May 12, 2007 05:06AM

Thanks exImpact. It helps to know how many people are effected by this and come out of it. Back when my friend first joined, I told my then boss that I was worried about my friend joining a cult, and when I told him what is was, he just said. Landmark is not a cult!!

I didn't press it, but needless to say I no longer work for him. Things were kind of awkward after that. Maybe he thought I was judging him. Now I'm really careful about who I vent to about this. It's creepy to think that there are people who will completely shut down on you for your opinion of one of these things. It's like talking about politics of religion.

Thanks again.

Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:03AM

Hey, vent away, god knows I do. The nice thing is that you don't have to be careful about what you say on these boards (as long as you follow the guidelines). There are a few big Landmark threads up that I know many people actively monitor, I think you will get quite a response If you post on them as well.

jokesonme
How can someone volunteer to give up their critical thinking skills? It makes me so angry that they have taken this otherwise smart person away from herself.

You know, LGAT snowjobs are constructed in the exact same fashion as you would make any ambush. Create a seemingly friendly, non-threatening atmosphere, lure the innocent into the trap, and spring it before the mark even knows what's going on. The ones who stay in their seats are the ones who don't even realize they are trapped. As for the why? Well, I think it is because the U.S. is spiritually anemic and we are becoming more and more socially isolated as individuals. I think LGAT's gain members for many of the same reasons the popularity of the MMO RPG has exploded. These trainings are claiming that they can sell you back your soul. Insecurity in the presence of seemingly powerful and charismatic individuals trained in mental conditioning techniques can make the most intelligent person throw caution to the wind if they are desperate enough.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:43AM

And for playing their sophisticated tricks on the unsuspecting program attendees, lgats get to make some money. And that's what it's all about. They are predators who have no INTEGRITY when it comes to making a buck, preying on and taking advantage of both the human condition and ills of our time. Yet advertising their "seminars" as the miraculous answer to both. What a lie!

Posted by: MartinH ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:15AM

jokesonme
Back when my friend first joined, I told my then boss that I was worried about my friend joining a cult, and when I told him what is was, he just said. Landmark is not a cult!!

That is sooo interesting ... only Landmarkers have a problem saying Landmark is a cult. Such an arrogance! In my opinion Landmark is a cult. People fall for it, spend an aweful lot of money and of their time, break up relationships, and think they are more enlightened than normal people. I don't care what other people think.

Date: May 15, 2007 03:30AM

Lately my friend has been asking me to be "interviewed" for a project she's working on for a "course" she's taking. She's called me a few times from "courses," and has tried to be vague about what they are, as though I have a terrible memory and have no idea what the "course" is. It's a sneaky thing. Telling someone you want to interview them is sort of flattering, so they play on your ego a bit. I've tried to prepare myself to deal with her by talking with lekkies on their myspace groups and have come to the conclusion that there is no logical argument against a company that frames logic itself as an enemy or obsticle to happiness.

I suppose I have no choice but to tell her I won't discuss anything landmark with her under any circumstances and that our friendship is at stake if she brings it up. I guess I just have to be ready to lose her. Maybe I'm just being arrogant to think I can get her out of this mess.

It's frustrating.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: May 15, 2007 04:11AM

jokesonme

I suppose I have no choice but to tell her I won't discuss anything landmark with her under any circumstances and that our friendship is at stake if she brings it up. I guess I just have to be ready to lose her. Maybe I'm just being arrogant to think I can get her out of this mess.

It's frustrating.

I think I'd tell her I'd found some disturbing information from some ex-members and ex-employees on the internet. Also, that Landmark used to be Werner Erhard's "est" from the 70s which became sort of a cultural joke with the used-car-salesman "guru" who had been a scientologist. She'll probably tune you out but you might be able to plant a few seeds of curiosity. The cult-like characteristic of ignoring any unflattering information or evidence is ~fully expressed~ in the typical Landmark "grad." You might give her a copy of Werner Erhard's "official" biography where she'll find the scientology connection.

Best,

Ellen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.