Current Page: 3 of 7
Big question....
Posted by: Glen ()
Date: January 24, 2004 04:12AM

Hey thanks guys, I'll give it a miss.

Truth is I've seen it really mess up a couple of close friends, their major "weakness" was that they attended when they were in a low point in their life and thus LM gave them hope. One just came out of a break-up and was facing criminal charges, the other had just lost his job.

The former friend literally flipped out after the forum, almost had what could onle be described as a seizure in the middle of a busy intersection. The other has become a "pin up"boy for the forum trying to convert all around.

I really just wanted to see how they achieved this, almost study it first hand, but I'm learning lots here so I guess that'll do.

Thanks again,

Glen

Options: ReplyQuote
Big question....
Posted by: Guy ()
Date: January 24, 2004 08:17AM

Glen,
There are many good books on the subject.
Robert Cialdini's "Influence" and William Sargent's "Battle for the Mind" are a decent start.

Guy

Big question....
Date: January 26, 2004 05:46AM

Thanks Guy, just ordered both ;)

Big question....
Date: January 26, 2004 04:17PM

Glen,

Your welcome.
Another one you must read is "The Guru Papers".
I can't remember the author.

Guy

Glen
Thanks Guy, just ordered both ;)

Big question....
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 26, 2004 09:54PM

The Guru Papers was written by Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad - excellent read.

Big question....
Date: January 27, 2004 06:42AM

Hey, all this begs one question; If these forum leaders are for the most part unpaid volunteers, and yet they've been taught all these mind manipulation techniques - do you think they at any stage become aware that they are in fact in a cult?

Big question....
Date: January 27, 2004 07:01AM

Glen,

Forum Leaders are paid.

Guy

Glen
Hey, all this begs one question; If these forum leaders are for the most part unpaid volunteers, and yet they've been taught all these mind manipulation techniques - do you think they at any stage become aware that they are in fact in a cult?

Big question....
Date: January 27, 2004 07:31AM

So, they're aware?

Big question....
Posted by: Rookie ()
Date: January 27, 2004 12:59PM

Glen --

You gotta study cults a lot more if you think money has anything to do with the equation either way.

Money influences some people. Others are interested in power. Others might just like hanging out with a group that thinks exactly the same.

Good luck.

Big question....
Date: January 27, 2004 08:31PM

Rookie
Glen --

You gotta study cults a lot more if you think money has anything to do with the equation either way.

Money influences some people. Others are interested in power. Others might just like hanging out with a group that thinks exactly the same.

Good luck.
I see what you're saying, I guess what I mean is you see Travolta defending Scientology saying it's not a cult, but surely, as people move up the 'ranks' of the groups and learn more and more about Xenu (in scintology's case) or Ernhard in LEC they must one day wake up and go "this is wrong..." or is that too embedded by then...

Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.