Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The 'logic' of The Secret...
Posted by: Madshus ()
Date: March 06, 2007 11:48PM

So what happens when illness falls upon one of the 'gurus' of The Secret? If Oprah or any of the other so-called 'expert panel' discovers they have cancer (God forbid), how would they rationalize such... that they 'willed it upon themselves'??

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 06, 2007 11:49PM

Madshus
So what happens when illness falls upon one of the 'gurus' of The Secret? If Oprah or any of the other so-called 'expert panel' discovers they have cancer (God forbid), how would they rationalize such... that they 'willed it upon themselves'??

By the way, if any 'experts' of The Secret are lurking out there, feel free to explain this from your point of view, which is what I'm really curious to hear anyways...

Posted by: Cosmic Connie ()
Date: March 07, 2007 12:27AM

Hi, all, I'm new to this forum, though not new to criticizing "The Secret." I've been making fun of it on my blog for over six months now.

I cannot speak for all of the stars of this glorified infomercial, but I will give you one example: Joe Vitale (whom I once knew pretty well).

A few weeks ago he wrote a blog post about some technical problems he was having with his computers; all of his computers AND web sites crashed at the same time. His IT person was having a terrible time getting everything up and running, and none of Joe's sites recognized his username or password. At one point when writing about these problems he wrote, "Apparently, I no longer exist."

Almost immediately after that, he came down with acute appendicitis and was rushed to the hospital for life-saving surgery, which he blogged about as soon as he was able. One of his followers made a comment on Joe's blog saying that maybe Joe shouldn't have written, "I no longer exist." The person reasoned that since Joe is such a power user of the Law Of Attraction, he needs to be careful because the Universe is listening extra carefully to every word he utters. Joe admitted the guy was probably right; you have to be careful because this LOA is a two-edged sword.

He went on to say that he also believes he "attracted" the life-threatening health crisis because there are still things in his life that need cleansing and healing. He also believes that his love Nerissa, who helped nurse him back to health, "attracted" Joe's health crisis into her own life because she had a need to feel needed. And he feels that all of us who followed his computer-crisis and health-crisis dramas also attracted those events into our own lives because we needed to take a lesson from it all somehow.

So, all things considered, he believes the computer screw-ups and his appendix problems were good because they helped all of us grow. But he does concede that he basically "attracted" his own problems.

Like his bud James Arthur Ray, another "Secret" star, though, Joe says it's about "responsibility," not "blame."

But to me it seems that it's more about narcissim than anything else. I'm not saying it's altogether a bad thing to try to put a positive spin on health problems; to do so probably does aid in healing. But to look at one's own health crises as a gift to the world, which he seemed to be doing, is carrying it too far.

I should also note that Joe wasn't just drawing on "The Secret" and LOA. The idea that everyone who knew about his troubles "attracted" or helped create them is really more relevant to Joe's next big revelation: a book about the ancient Hawaiian "healing" technique, Ho'ponopono (I am probably spelling it wrong, as I usually do). Ho'po is *really* about total responsibility. But that's gonna be a whole separate thread when it really hits. Consider this an early warning. :roll:

Posted by: question lady ()
Date: March 07, 2007 02:27AM

Your site is great Connie. Thank you for making me laugh while I attempt to cope with my significant other's "enlightenment." :lol:

My hubby bought an iCAP Release Meter through Larry Crane's Release Technique program so I loved your post about "Peter's big release". He hasn't been able to get it to work, which is probably good because if he were any more "released" he'd be completely gone.

I see from your profile that you are a "smarty-pants." Larry Crane always says, "Could you let go of being so smart?" I guess it's better for him if people "let go" of being smart and allow themselves to act stupid.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 07, 2007 02:43AM

Hi guys, there is already a large thread going about The Secret here.
[board.culteducation.com]
The Secret (a movie)

In my opinion, its best to keep all the posts to one main thread on a topic, as over time Google really gives the threads a very high ranking.
If there are a bunch of small threads, they vanish.

So perhaps you would consider re-posting your messages in the Secret mega-thread?
For instance, search Google for... The Secret Rhonda scam...
and that thread is about #13 at this time.

[tinyurl.com]

Please use Tinyurl if you are going to post a long link. -- Moderator[/color:6a7fa3e09e]

Posted by: Cosmic Connie ()
Date: March 07, 2007 05:25AM

Anticult asked, "So perhaps you would consider re-posting your messages in the Secret mega-thread?"

Consider it done, Anticult. I quoted Madshus's question and then copied and pasted my post. I'll participate in "the mega-thread" from here on out.

(BTW, thanks for the compliment, Question Lady. :-))
~CC

Date: March 08, 2007 01:07AM

I know others want everything regarding The Secret on one thread (for whatever reason), but I do want to post again here regarding the specifics of the 'logic' of The Secret...

Basically, how far do believers of The Secret think it can go? I am asking in regards to the claim that 'food doesn't cause you to put on weight, but the thought that food will cause you to put on weight is the issue'.

If The Secret works like that, then how about the adverse of the above and say 'not eating food doesn't make you hungry, but the thought that not eating food will make you hungry'? If The Secret really works (and it is a law afterall), then those who are implementing it should never have to eat again..... but they do. Why is that? Are they not using The Secret correctly?? In fact, it shouldn't stop with food, they shouldn't have to sleep either... 'it's not the lack of sleep that makes you fatigued, it's the thought that lack of sleep makes you fatigued'.

What a joke.

The bottomline is that there are realities of life... sugar decays teeth, bodies grow old, and eating more calories than you burn puts on weight.

True awareness... the followers of The Secret are obviously missing the mark - if you're a follower and belive I'm wrong, give me a call... you obviously will have plenty of free time to do so with all that sleep you don't need. For me, I'll stick with the thought (and fact) that I do need my 40 winks.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: March 08, 2007 06:40AM

The Anticult
Hi guys, there is already a large thread going about The Secret here.
The Secret (a movie)

In my opinion, its best to keep all the posts to one main thread on a topic, as over time Google really gives the threads a very high ranking.
If there are a bunch of small threads, they vanish.

So perhaps you would consider re-posting your messages in the Secret mega-thread?
For instance, search Google for... The Secret Rhonda scam...
and that thread is about #13 at this time.

[tinyurl.com]

Also be sure to look in the MLM forum at the "Abraham-Hicks" thread, which first mentioned "The Secret" before the Secret thread.

Date: March 08, 2007 08:14AM

Madshus, I've found that when you ask for believers of The Secret to follow the logic to its absurd conclusions, you are frequently attacked for "taking it too seriously."

Date: March 20, 2007 12:58AM

upsidedownnewspaper
Madshus, I've found that when you ask for believers of The Secret to follow the logic to its absurd conclusions, you are frequently attacked for "taking it too seriously."

That makes me laugh... taking it too seriously? I still want a believer of the 'secret' to explain why they have to eat to appease their hunger. Like I said, according to them it's not the lack of food that makes them feel hungry, it's the thought that the lack of food makes them hungry. :wink:

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.