Carl Sagan's Baloney Detector
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 20, 2003 05:33AM

[www.xenu.net]

Kindly made available by our friends at Operation Clambake

[www.xenu.net]

Free your minds

Bust those memes

Once at an AA meeting, someone said, 'I thought I'd never get addicted to alcohol because I was smart. I did not know that my addiction would use my intelligence against me.'

The best and most effective cults co-opt your critical reasoning, and use your intelligence against you.

You think you're free, but are on a cognitive leash that is 50 miles long, and gives you lots of free movement, but is still, nevertheless, a leash.

You may have doubts and deep misgivings, but they are like shadow boxing or a rigged election.

Those doubts dont challenge your fundamental entrapment. As long as you're not willing to question the bliss or 'sense of empowerment' produced by problematic LGATs, you're their property, just the way a junkie or a crack addict is the property of the dope dealer.

I had years of doubts concerning the charismatic person I was involved with and those doubts did me no good at all.

Critical thinking does not help if it has been co-opted to serve a cult, a religion, an abusive relationship, creepy corporation or a political ideology.

Test everything. Assume nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: December 22, 2003 05:29AM

Carl Sagan's book, THE DEMON HAUNTED WORLD literally changed my life.
That is the book where the Baloney Detection Kit came out of.

[www.skeptics.com.au]
[www1.tpgi.com.au]

You can get this book in paperback from a second-hand bookstore for a few dollars.
Using the Thinking Tools in that book can save us from the morass of metaphysics, the perils of pseudoscience, and the madness of cultic trickery.

That book is a manual for the wonder and freedom of Skeptical Thinking.

Coz

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: MarkusWelch ()
Date: December 22, 2003 06:36AM

"The Dragons of Eden" I'd suggest as well.

Regards,

MarkusW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.