Current Page: 34 of 45
Ho’opononpono (make things right or “problem solving”)
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:04AM

This is from Hawaii.edu, an excerpt from a published paper on ancient Hawaiian healing practices. Note the tremendous difference from the "updated version" being marketed above.

Ho’opononpono (make things right or “problem solving”) refers to counseling and mediation to resolve conflicts and balance relationships (Helwig, 2003). Ho’opononpono can be used for an individual or a group of individuals. For individuals, the object is to heal a person by
removing obstacles to being well. The obstacle may be low self-esteem, sadness, guilt, or the inability to forgive oneself for something they have done in the past. For a group conflict, the kahuna allows everyone to speak until all resentments and other feelings come out. No
one is permitted to leave the room. Eventually, the resolution comes and the session is concluded. The session may include prayer to cleanse the mind and heart of negative thoughts and feelings.

www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Traditional_Hawaiian_Healing_and_Western_Influence.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:49AM

Hope
I personally don't know any women who "fall" for the tanned, slick used car salesman types.

Then you've never met Werner Erhard groupies.

Re: Ho’opononpono (make things right or “problem solving”)
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 16, 2007 10:37AM

Yes, in the book he constantly called it "updated Ho’opononpono", which clearly means "bastardized".
A number of years back, some NLP people got into promoting Hawaiian Huna, and all that stuff. Basically, it becomes "something exotic and ancient that we can sell you".
They do the same with every religious and cultural practice, even the Buddha's ideas become turned into Chanting to get a Luxury Car. They turn it inside out and backwards.

So it seems there is an ancient tribal cultural-religious practice that works for some people. Similar to things like Shamanism.
Then the internet marketing Gurus/pigs like Joe Vitale come in, and try to $ell it to New Age Yuppies at LGAT seminars.

The sales strategy is to take something exotic and weird, and sell it to ignorant outsiders with outrageous false promises and lies.

One wonders what "Joe Vitale" actual name is, it seems he has had a bunch of names. One wonders if that is his real name, or just a fabricated one?
If there is karma, its clear Joe Vitale is going to get hammered very hard at some point.

Supposedly Joe Vitale's spouse is into the Landmark Forum.

[cosmicconnie.blogspot.com]
"It is, indeed, mostly one man’s experience, though enforced by a 34-page chapter smack in the middle of Zero Limits called, "The Evidence," which is a string of testimonials from satisfied attendees of a Vitale/Len event last fall. Included is an anecdote from Joe’s domestic life partner Nerissa Oden, who used Ho’oponopono during an exercise at a three-day Landmark Forum event in October 2006".

Mr. Fire a liar about fire?
Date: November 05, 2007 01:35PM

The Secret con-artists are still at it. It seems some of them are claiming those who use The Secret stopped the California wildfires from burning their homes down!
There is probably more information out there about it.
Notice how they parse their words carefully?
What a bunch of crooks.

Also, one of their fellow Persuaders has attacked The Secret scammers on his own blog below, and called it like it is. How is it one scammer can easily see the what the other scammers are doing so clearly?

[blog.mrfire.com]
By Joe Vitale - October 26th, 2007

It’s interesting to me that 45 homes burned near the home of John Assaraf but his is safe.
Same with the home and office of James Ray.
Same with the manager of Lisa Nichols.
Instead of wondering why they attracted a fire, it might be wiser to wonder how they didn’t attract a fire.
I’ve spent the last day or so with Lisa Nichols and John Assaraf. They are not focused on fires. ...

Joe

[www.kevinhogan.com]
Q. Recently people who wrote 'The Secret' have stated that the fires that have happened in California have forced nonbelievers to evacuate while those who wrote 'The Secret' are safe and free from danger. You didn't write about this in Coffee with Kevin Hogan, so I'm guessing you didn't see the press. Any comments?

A. I had to do a google search. Wow, that is an impressive claim/implication. I'd say it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard but every time someone who contributed to 'The Secret' says something it's...well...insane. Answer: People don't and can't repel fires or hurricanes or anything else. Try it sometime. Hurricane comes to the gulf. Get 1000 people who are well versed in The Secret to stand at 2 mile intervals along The Gulf of Mexico. We'll be waiting to see the hurricane go back through the Carribean, kill a bunch of people there, head out to the Atlantic and vanish.......Come ON kids, how ignorant are people out there. My god, this is flat out cruel, evil, unkind, mean spirited. Look, here it is clear and simple:

The Secret Challenge $50,000 my money. Anyone in 'The Secret' can try and move (repel like the fire thing) a spoon (even bend it) while it's under my crystal clear spaghetti bowl on my Coffee Table, I'll donate $50,000 to any charity and give the person $50,000 for their time on the flight to Minneapolis. My spoon, my house, no one goes within five feet of the table. I PROMISE you that when we film this and have the person's face scrunched up, they will look pretty goofy...when we catch them tail between legs walking out the door. Takers? Will this finally solve 'The Secret' problem? Are you kidding? No one will even "try."

Look, here's how you know if you are involved in a scam like this. Ask yourself this, "OK I believe The Secret. That's great. How would I be able to know if it wasn't real?"

Answer that question. Anything that is claimed can either be proven false, given evidence that it's true or find out that it uses "circular thinking" at which point you know you have a scam or a cult.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 11, 2008 11:29PM

I was disappointed to see that The Secret is being shown at The Women's Rights Information Center in Englewood, NJ. This is a nonprofit that supports low-income women, single moms, elderly women on fixed incomes, displaced homemakers, etc. The programs have always been excellent - mostly geared towards housing and employment. This year though, The Secret has slipped into the self-improvement category of classes and seminars. I find this really disgusting as it is likely the people hosting the viewing will talk about the ways these women attracted all the things that have happened to them. I've already drafted a letter stating I will no longer be sending any donations to them.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:44AM

I hear ya Hope! Glad you're writing a letter. It's sickening to see the unsuspecting swallow these well-packaged lies that, by design, tear people apart. This destructive crap is seductively presented as the answer to all one's problems and I see people everywhere eat it up. One of my internal warning lights now goes off whenever anything is presented as the ONE, the ONLY and a very SIMPLE and COMPLETE solution to all the problems anyone's ever had. Yeh, right.

skeptic

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: January 12, 2008 03:53AM

Yeah, and when that doesn't work, they'll invite the drug companies to distribute Prozac and Vallium.

It enrages me to think that a group like this is being so irresponsible.

Good on you, Hope!

Date: January 12, 2008 07:19PM

I think a letter to the board and President might help. Usually LGAT's don't bother with real people with real challenges, as they don't have enough cash or credit to be Prospects.
Probably some local person with an agenda brought The Secret Scam in there?

We can just point out there is ZERO scientific or psychological evidence that The Secret works. There are no 'studies', no nothing.

Also, because it can be called 'religious' that might get it out of a governmental program?

This is all because of Oprah. Oprah sells something, and then it sticks. Its almost like Oprah is able to create all these New Age Frankenstein's, then they just run amok for years after. Oprahsteins.

The problem is that possibly some local "coach" has brought The Secret Scam into that local group, and will then bilk what little money the locals have, in exchange for Alladin's Lamp, like exchanging the family cow for some Magic Beans, like in the fairy tale.

Posted by: midwest.momma ()
Date: January 24, 2008 12:32AM

I was disappointed to see that The Secret is being shown at The Women's Rights Information Center in Englewood, NJ. This is a nonprofit that supports low-income women, single moms, elderly women on fixed incomes, displaced homemakers, etc. The programs have always been excellent - mostly geared towards housing and employment. This year though, The Secret has slipped into the self-improvement category of classes and seminars. I find this really disgusting as it is likely the people hosting the viewing will talk about the ways these women attracted all the things that have happened to them. I've already drafted a letter stating I will no longer be sending any donations to them. ~Hope

Ahem...at the risk of looking a little stupid...I was *into* The Secret last year at this time. I grabbed onto it because a counselor had recommended it. (another reason why I distrust the psychiatric profession, but that's another thread).

I was also under the influence (and still am, just less so) of mercury poisoning due to amalgams, vaccinations, etc., which leads to fuzzy thinking and emotional upheaval.

This counselor was heavily into this "blaming the victim" stuff--where she said that I was responsible for others' treatment of me. That I was "getting back" what i put *out there*...way to make someone feel hopeless, eh?

She seemed genuinely concerned with my wellbeing, and I continued to correspond with her on issues. She revealed her judgmental thinking recently with an issue I was dealing with, and thankfully, I saw the light. I let her know that I was on to her misjudging me and she immediately tried to make me feel guilty for calling her on her b.s.

It took a lot of strength to not go back to old ways of apologizing for calling people on their b.s.

I feel like I've taken a major step forward. Thank Spirit for that.

Posted by: midwest.momma ()
Date: January 24, 2008 12:44AM

Oh, and about Oprah--I also was a loyal fan for years--until the show (several years back) where she showed the actual video of a sheriff deputy being murdered by thugs. The deputy's widow was in the audience. She was visibly upset and Oprah acted clueless when she approached her and asked if she was "all right". I started to see Oprah in a whole different light after that episode. I no longer had much respect for her with her complete lack of empathy and compassion towards what this woman must have felt seeing that horrible act done to her husband.

In the following years since then, I've asked myself several times why people keep following Oprah as if she were God?

She brought us Dr. Phil. The man doesn't even have his psychiatric license anymore, he's combative, controlling, and misogynistic. His recent episode of crashing Britney Spears' hospital room showed him for what he was--a glory-seeking narcissist.

She brought us how many diets that harmed women, or at the very least, caused them to lose and regain weight, just as she has done.

There are other things about her, but I don't want to derail the thread, or get the dreaded email from Rick on not keeping on topic.

I will just say that I am disappointed that these women at this center, who are vulnerable (as I was, and am), are being subjected to this nonsense. They will blame themselves for their circumstances, and not realize that they can only control themselves, and not others' actions.

Current Page: 34 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.