Current Page: 26 of 45
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: May 06, 2007 11:00AM

I agree with both of you, Lila and Reality 2 by 4. Or is that a bigotted and dangerous stance to have. Perhaps I should be more careful who I agree with...LOL

I suspect Etopia was referring to those 'gratitude rocks', but I also suspect those rocks wouldn't give a darn what my thoughts were. Maybe I'm being pulled up because I never had a pet rock...

Very good point Reality 2 by 4 regarding keeping the liars and manipulators of The Secret at a distance. Call me strange, but I need more than a cheesy 'film' to tell me about the 'meaning of life'. Seems too easy...but I suppose I'll be pulled up again because I don't buy the idea that the 'meaning of life' is solely contained within a film or book, or even in a singular idea. What would be the point of experiencing life in all its enormity? Very dull, I reckon. And way too black & white!

History has revealled that there will always be those who try and unify or homogenise our thoughts and beliefs.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: seawan ()
Date: May 08, 2007 09:48AM

I like the movie.

...Wait, I'm not saying that I agree ALL it says.

But I do appreciate it. It changed my point of view to life. And I find there are indeed some connections between the Secret and the Ancient religious theory. I'm myself is a Buddhist, and I may say I can find some evidence in the Sutras backing the Secret...But as I say, no one is perfect; I just learned the part the I think is right.

Anyway, I thank you all, remind me of the defect of the Movie. It's a production of some no-saint person, just as you and me:)

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: seawan ()
Date: May 08, 2007 09:51AM

And if you find some syntax error or something in my post, just ignore it...I'm not an English speaking one...I come from China where I can read a lot of ancient documents with ease, luck for me i think.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: May 09, 2007 08:31AM

seawan
I like the movie.

...Wait, I'm not saying that I agree ALL it says.

But I do appreciate it. It changed my point of view to life. And I find there are indeed some connections between the Secret and the Ancient religious theory. I'm myself is a Buddhist, and I may say I can find some evidence in the Sutras backing the Secret...But as I say, no one is perfect; I just learned the part the I think is right.

Anyway, I thank you all, remind me of the defect of the Movie. It's a production of some no-saint person, just as you and me:)

It changed your point of view of life? More than your Buddhist views?

Can you tell me what connection the film had with Buddhism? How specifically do the Sutras back the Secret?

What were the defects of the movie?

I don't think anyone here is doubting the fascination of cutting edge science, but we have to remain sober. Remember that Quantum this and that is only theoretical science.

Why do we forsake our critical thinking for a belief/faith in hypothetical ideas? I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider these ideas (even explore them), but to base one's life on theory?

There are probably still people who think that most women are witches...that the Earth is flat...that God is a white-bearded old man with a scowl on his wrinkled face!

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Lila ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:30PM

I tend to get sarcastic to cover my anger, re: the rock remark

But The Secret is the straw that broke the camels back of a 33 years friendship
My friend has become so indoctrinated I can't hold a normal conversation with her anymore.
What a shame

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Reality 2 by 4 ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:05PM

Lila
I tend to get sarcastic to cover my anger, re: the rock remark

But The Secret is the straw that broke the camels back of a 33 years friendship
My friend has become so indoctrinated I can't hold a normal conversation with her anymore.
What a shame

I cannot understand how some people are willing to throw away personal relationships and totally change their views on life in order to follow some new fad self-help book. Why are they so malleable? Do they not have any real personal convictions or sense of self?

I mean, I've survived through 39 years of living so far, including losing my home and everything I ever owned to a natural disaster. I may not be wealthy or 'successful' but I think I've been a generally decent person who hasn't intentionally hurt, used or exploited others. So I'm really going to take offense to some former Amway distributors telling me that I've done it wrong all this time.

I'm especially going to be outraged at some marketing hucksters telling me that I 'attracted' the disaster into my life by my bad thinking (something they can correct if I'm willing to spend the $$$$ for their seminars & products!). I lost my home etc. but my friend and her teenage daughter were killed as were several of my neighbors - and we need to take responsibility for attracting it ourselves! 9 year old little girls attracted their own rape and murder too.

Why in the world are people so ready to throw away their own thinking and blindly accept a philosophy of logic fallacies that has no proof other than the spiel of unqualified individuals who are selling something? WTF

I can't wait till they start using this as a defense in criminal trials "The defendant is not responsible or the crime, the victim's negative thinking attracted him and made it irresistible".

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: spewey ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:31PM

Thanks to Landmark Forum and The Secret my girlfriend and I are no longer together. Because I wouldn't do Landmark and because I didn't embrace The Secret as part of my daily life (as in, "If you want a Ferrari, think about it. If you don't get one then you never really believed you could) her view of me changed dramatically.

Whereas for many months of our relationship she told me I was the best man shed ever known and she's thankful for my presence in her life every day, by the time I told her I didn't think we could afford a supremely expensive house on our meager budget and that I wasn't interested in The Forum, I was a done deal.

Ultimately I know it wasn't a good match. But the frustrating part is that I saw real potential for us which, without the external pressures set in motion by Landmark, then manifested via The Secret, coul have esily lead to marriage.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Rswinters ()
Date: May 15, 2007 04:46AM

"The Secret" philosophy seems to be the foundation for most of the LGAT's philosophy.
People reading this thread of posts should be reading the rest of the threads on LGAT's topics.
They are all connected and should be looked at from a broader perspective and scope when evaluating this movies subject matter.
The law of attraction is apparent in life. What needs to be kept in mind is how it is applied in a persons life.
In one application it can be a useful awareness to have when kept in proper perspective of how my behavior and attitudes can be creating unwanted circumstances in my life. As long as this self-focus is applied here. This can be a very powerful self awareness of my behavior and attitudes in me.
Where in what seems to be the application that is being applied by most and what is at the core of most of the posts on this website is the deadly application from a place that is based in humanism, hedonism, and a narcissistic mindset where the focus is not on what is in me. But on what I am attracting and the focus is on controlling others in a passive manner.
In my opinion when we focus on relational conflict in a manner that refuses to be accountable for what we bring to the conflict creates a very relationally abusive situation between two people.
In my opinion "The Secret" is just another means to avoid being accountable for the selfishness that exists in each and every one of us.
Only this way it is seen as not my responsibility and can be avoided by changing my beingness by eliminating negative people, and things from my life without being accountable for being a part of creating the negative situation that occurred with someone.
Relational maturity and accountability is avoided in this philosophy. As seen on the many posts with LGAT's operating with this philosophy in their seminars.
In my opinion, the law of attraction should be looked at with a balance of keeping a personal accountability within relational conflicts and show up trying to resolve them responsibly versus using this lame excuse to avoid being relational just because a persons selfishness is causing a negative response in another person.
Its time to be an adult which means to be relationally responsible and not hanging onto such a selfish mindset with others that is being produced with this mindset in "The Secret"

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Harleygal ()
Date: May 15, 2007 08:13AM

Rswinters: Well said... Please refer to the Abraham-Hicks forum. What you are saying in regard to the Secret and the Law of Attraction are the same beliefs as in A-H. A-H supports the narcissitic personality and selfishness and the reason for a person not to be held accountable whether it is morally or otherwise. Shame on these beliefs and shame on the people that are following the Secret and Abraham-Hicks... lives are being destroyed.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Rswinters ()
Date: May 15, 2007 08:24AM

Please give me how to get to abrahams forum... I am not sure how to do so.

thanks

Current Page: 26 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.