Current Page: 23 of 45
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: April 27, 2007 11:11AM

"It seems that Fred Wolfe is trying to protect his own turf. He is essentially saying, come to HIM to learn about QM and Consciousness, as he sells books, and seminars, talks, etc. "

Well - that makes perfect sense. Only HE can write the book on this stuff. I get it now. I was hopeful that he really had been misquoted in The Secret. He wasn't on the Oprah shows so I thought he wanted no part of the whole scene. As I looked over the rest of his stuff on his website, I got suspicious. A lot of "woo" inserted into his scientific stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 28, 2007 05:52AM

From what I can gather from the ramblings of Fred Wolf, he has his own take on the entire thing. I don't think he agrees with all of the premises of the Secret, as he says above.

He basically seems to spend 50% of his time summarizing some basic ideas from QM, that have been done for many years, like the wave/particle duality, etc.

But then he goes into these weird rants about some Shaman, and his other interests about whatever.

It seems he is also interested in picking up women who attend his seminars, as he made that very clear in his Dr. Quantum CD.
Hey ladies!! Fred Wolf likes to fool around with the ladies! This could be your lucky day! (ugh)

Fred Wolf has been making a lot of money from the New Age Quantum Quackery for a long time now, and I don't think he likes getting "scooped" by other folks stealing his thunder.

What is Fred Wolf saying? Who knows, he was a real physicist at some point, but now he is seems to be just making New Age stuff up.

A pretty good book about some of these issues, which is not quackery, but does ask some interesting questions is...

Quantum Enigma.
[www.quantumenigma.com]

[quantumenigma.com]

QM and "Consciousness" do relate to each other somehow, but not in the fashion the New Agers want it to. Its probably the most strange and difficult question in all of human knowledge, and for those who are honest, its clear that no one really understands how it all works, or what it means, or even if its just a fabrication of the human mind, or the theory itself.

It certainly has nothing to do with The Secret.
Its funny how the Secret talks about Einstein and QM, but Einstein was opposed to QM!! Whoops.
QM also says the universe is based on randomness, they leave that part out too.

They also say that Like Attracts Like, like a magnet. Well, in magnets, Like Repels Like, you learn that in grade school.

Its really funny when you start to really look into it, basically everything they say in the Secret is either wrong, nonsense, or the opposite to the facts.

Basically they use the term "Quantum Physics" as a gobbleygook nonsense term, meant to dupe people who don't know better that their New Age pseudo-philosophy is somehow related to "science" when in fact it is the opposite to science.

Its really quite an amazing Confidence Trick when you think about it.

The Secret (a movie)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:59AM

There are some interesting quotes on this page.

[quantumenigma.com]

[I can't accept quantum mechanics because] "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it."
Albert Einstein

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics."
Richard Feynman

"Anyone not shocked by quantum mechanics has not yet understood it."
Niels Bohr

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Etopia ()
Date: April 28, 2007 05:35PM

I just wanna say a few things. Firstly, I am proud to be on the cutting edge of thought creation. Oprah, The Secret and Abraham - Hicks has done more good for mankind then this forum of haters will ever accomplish. Yes, "The Secret" and its information has survived for hundreds of years and will continue to flourish. Unfortunately so has the resistance and ignorance of man. I see that all of you think that this is all bullsh*t. Well, do any of you have a better idea? It's so much easier to just spread your venom. "Well the world is just screwed up and everyone is misserable like us and no one is responsible, that's just the way it is", how pathetic. We are master creators whether we know it or not. If we could wake up to this truth we could make the world a better place. I don't see much evidence of this intention here. The whole point of all of this is that we are greater then we ever imagined, but all of you want to stay small, you want to be victims of random circumstance and stay unevolved. Well so be it I say to you! Stay small and powerless and cling to your negativity if that is what you choose. I have been a member of the Abraham - Hicks forums and I witnessed supportive, loving and caring human beings who all had the intention of upliftment of eachother not trying to commiserate and drag everyone down with their intellectual redundance. Good luck to all of you in your default creating of misery.

Unimpressed, :roll:
Cean.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 28, 2007 07:28PM

Etopia:

Insulting people and name calling is against the rules of the board, which you agreed to before posting here.

Please refrain from "flaming."

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: gratefully awake ()
Date: April 28, 2007 08:54PM

This is an interesting commentary, by Bo Lozoff, on "The Secret." The entire essay is at: [www.humankindness.org]

"The Real 'Secret' is a Dark One"

"In the past several months as I’ve been speaking across the country, many people have approached me and asked with some degree of excitement in their voices, 'Bo, have you seen The Secret yet? Oh, you’ll love it! It will change the world! Let people know about this!'

"So I did watch The Secret, as well as an Oprah show that featured its 'teachers,' and I think we all need to reflect very deeply on the message that is passing for wisdom these days. 'New Age' centers, 'New Thought' Churches, the Christian 'prosperity' movements personified by the likes of Joel Osteen, and now Oprah’s enormous fan base, are really falling off the deep end into a pseudo-spirituality that is not just a little self-indulgent, it is primarily about selfishness and materialism.

"The Secret itself is a childish exaggeration of a minor energetic principle - 'The Law of Attraction' - which simply means what most of our grandmothers have said to us at one time or another: 'If you think negative things, your life will be negative. Keep your mind on positive things, and you’ll attract more positive things and people into your life.' That’s pretty basic stuff, who could argue with that? It’s true. Got it? Be positive!

"But to frame this as The Secret, as the 'greatest power in the universe;' to open the film with suspense-movie scenes of scholars and monks throughout history desperately trying to hide this 'secret' for future generations while they are being pursued by armies and assassins; to claim that every great man or woman from Jesus to Thomas Edison knew this specific 'Secret' and now you and I are finally going to be let in on it, oh, pleeease!! It’s a minor part of life; nothing profound about it. Both teams in the Superbowl should 'think positive' and visualize winning, but only one is going to win, because being positive is not everything!

. . . .

". . . .But The Secret did not arise in a vacuum. It's just the latest descent of pop-spirituality into a materialistic, self-centered new theology truly similar to Satanism, that seems to be taking hold in many churches, spiritual centers and households. It’s a theology of 'Me First;' a theology of entitlement ('I deserve everything good in life and I should not have to struggle for it'); a theology of disconnection from our influence on others and their influence on us; a theology where modesty and sacrifice are seen as unhealthy and pride and vanity are seen as essential.

"Most of all, it is a theology of 'prosperity and abundance' where lip service is paid to words like peace and joy, but the bottom line is GETTING RICH, no two ways about it. In fact, even gratitude and forgiveness are explained merely as strategies to attract more success into your life. It’s always about you. I’m sorry, that’s just not deep religion.

". . . . this new theology says not a word about living more simply or about wanting less consumer wealth. It does exactly the opposite, and encourages us to think and get rich. This theology of the self cuts us off from any sense of responsibility for ecology or conservation. None of that is our problem, it is just 'scarcity consciousness' . . . ."

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: question lady ()
Date: April 29, 2007 01:40AM

Etopia
I see that all of you think that this is all bullsh*t. Well, do any of you have a better idea? It's so much easier to just spread your venom. "Well the world is just screwed up and everyone is misserable like us and no one is responsible, that's just the way it is", how pathetic. We are master creators whether we know it or not. If we could wake up to this truth we could make the world a better place. I don't see much evidence of this intention here. ”

I think many people in this forum have a better idea, i.e. positive thinking and focused intention [i:6e4c4c5722]plus[/i:6e4c4c5722] actually doing the work in the material world, self-discipline and delayed gratification to achieve results.

I am grateful to Mr. Ross and the people in this forum for being here to make this world a better place. They have certainly helped me. People who have been hurt and disillusioned by destructive groups are here to share their stories to help others heal, to help family members and friends understand and to warn others about destructive paths.

Mr. Ross and the people in this forum are [i:6e4c4c5722]taking action[/i:6e4c4c5722] to expose lies and manipulation. They aren't just sitting around visualizing the disappearance of greedy con-artists and power hungry gurus.

BTW, you sound more than a tad negative yourself.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: shakti ()
Date: April 29, 2007 04:11AM

question lady
bers and friends understand and to warn others about destructive paths.

Mr. Ross and the people in this forum are [i:252df55d3c]taking action[/i:252df55d3c] to expose lies and manipulation. They aren't just sitting around visualizing the disappearance of greedy con-artists and power hungry gurus.

BTW, you sound more than a tad negative yourself.

I agree and thanks for the beautiful post. "Disillusionment" gets a bad rap and is seen by folks like Etopia as "depressing and negative." I think disillusionment is one of the most under-rated words in the english language. Being stripped of one's illusions is healthy and allows one to see the world more clearly.

Working to expose liars and manipulators is healthy, positive, and LOVING activity. I can't think of one poster who dominates these boards with their negativity other than the cult apologists!

And, yes, I have noticed that those who talk the most about how "negative" things are and how full of "peace, light, and love" THEY are, are often the easiest to blow up. I remember hanging out with some former TMers, who were out, but not ALL THE WAY out. Nice people, but they could be set off by little triggers so easy and turn really scary. Stuff like TM can really unhinge certain people.

The Secret (a movie)
Date: April 29, 2007 05:30AM

Excellent responses to the angry critic.

One of the other very serious problems with things like Abraham-Hicks, The Secret, and things like it are the psychological pathologies they are promoting.

They basically preach Emotional Perfectionism, that is, you are supposed to try to ALWAYS FEEL GOOD.
That is actually pathological, and can lead to serious problems.

What happens is they become terrified of their own normal human feelings. Its ok to get a bit ticked of, or sad, or feel the various human feelings. That's called being a normal human.
The idea that your Feelings are messages from God-Universe, is just silly. To try and always Be Happy is moronic, and is going to lead to things like the RAGE outbursts we see from followers of Abraham-Hicks. (Its because they SUPRESS their rage at getting RIPPED-OFF from those scammers Abraham-Hicks!)

Also, people who have clinical depression should seek help from trained and accredited professionals. Many people who have clinical depression, which is very serious, could read The Secret and try to DENY they have the problem. They could end up commiting suicide down the line, as they didn't get proper treatment.

Also, The Secret preaches DELUSION. She says if you want to lose weight, DON'T LOOK AT FAT PEOPLE! She actually says that.

Rhonda Byrne is a confidence-artist.
She was going broke, her company was going bankrupt. She was DESPERATE.
So she cooked up The Secret to copy "What The Bleep" and marketed it like a TV commercial over the internet, and got lucky.

You notice in her book how she thanks her LEGAL COUNSEL.
What is that about?
Her lawyers reviewed her book very carefully, to make the health claims ambiguous, so she could not get into trouble.
Its all worded very carefully.

Perhaps Rhonda Byrne's hubris will take over now, and she will pour all her money into The Secret II, which will FLOP, and she will go broke again.
The Secret Mania is basically dead already.
Its just a very superfical hype-job, with the shelf life of candy-floss.

The Secret is Anti-science, its full of lies and distortions, and its psychologically unhealthy.
Its also unproductive, as it tells people just to VISUALIZE, which is not enough. You have to take behavioral action in life to achieve your realistic goals.

And no matter what that crackpot Rhonda Byrne says, its ok to look at fat people. You can even talk to them, and accept them as humans, and not look at them as objects of your own narcissism.

Rhonda Byrne closes her book saying...the sun shines and the birds chirp FOR YOU.
Well guess what...they DON'T.
The world does not revolve around Rhonda Byrne or her Secretrons, or your desires to have a fancy new car.

The Secret really is quite sicko when you look at it closely. That comes from the Abraham-Hicks pathologies, when they say that children get sick because of their own negative thoughts, and that those who are massacred in wars asked for it.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Reality 2 by 4 ()
Date: April 29, 2007 06:02AM

Why is it that the Secret 'believers' are the ones who seem to become SO nasty and attack whenever anyone tries to question the logic behind their 'philosophy'?

If THAT is any demonstration of 'positive thinking' - I'd rather be negative.

Current Page: 23 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.