Current Page: 9 of 45
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 16, 2007 06:55AM

The Oprah show on The Secret on Friday is going to be a complete joke, I psychically predict. At best, they will have an incompetant, non-professional skeptic on, who will not be able to get a decent point in. (she had a bogus "scientist" on selling his book, who blatantly told a falsehood, that the journal Nature had articles proving psychic ability, when they only have articles on "entanglement" which has nothing to do with it).

Oprah may do good charity works, but I have lost basically all respect for her when it comes to this type of stuff. Maybe she doesn't know any better, maybe its just about giving the public what they want.

same here, my respect levels have pretty much vaporized. Its as though every good work she has done and continues to do is now just a platform from which to promote crap like this and do her part in influencing the masses.
People think of a good works and credibility when they think Oprah, they will not think any differently when they see someone like John Edwards on her show, or when they see the second promotion of 'the secret' on her show on friday.
Well that's one less show and celebrity for me to pay any heed to. I had the same reaction when I saw John Edward on the 'Glenn Beck' show a while back. I don't watch that show anymore either.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: February 16, 2007 08:04AM

ON2 LF
I'm going to write a book one day, it will be called "102 different ways to DELAY gratification, and LIKE IT!" It will be found in the not-yet-invented section of 'anti-self help' sections in book stores.

Your book and the section it will go in are needed NOW. I did a quick check of my neighborhood bookstore self-help section (to see if The Secret is there) and saw Sedona Method, L. Ron Hubbard and others. Where can one find books that examine and dispute that crap? That crap needs to be challenged - loudly! Anyone wanna start a (counter) movement? Get on Oprah, cruise the circuit, exposing and discussing all the crap. Start a discussion, stimulate some critical thinking.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Vigilant ()
Date: February 16, 2007 10:30AM

Although I detest this New Wage (as my favorite satirist Cosmic Connie preoccupation with materialism, I can assure you that the life of a counter media campaign would go like this...

Oprah: So, you are a skeptic and propose to reveal the true nature of life.

You: Why yes, it's really quite simple. Be a decent human being to your fellow humans, work hard, focus on your goal and be prepared for setbacks. But most of all keep at it."

Oprah: MOMENT OF STUNNED SILENCE :shock:

You: Simple, really.

Oprah: Our next guest will tell us how they can manifest chocolate from the recovered hair of their housepets...

COMMERCIAL

Till then we have Michael Shermer, The Amazing Randi and others. Too bad Sagan is dead.[/url]

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Vigilant ()
Date: February 16, 2007 10:39AM

Connie's Site is [www.cosmicconnie.blogspot.com]

:oops:

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 16, 2007 11:02AM

Another aspect of this, is one that is very depressing and disappointing. I have been monitoring a number of different pro-Secret blogs and posting boards, just to see what is out there.
The level of credulity, naivity, self-centeredness, lack of education about science or philosophy...I don't know how else to put it...the level of "stupidity" out there is truly stunning. Its almost like The Borg.

It makes one think about why so many cultish leaders get so cynical and contemptuous toward their followers, and keep pushing them further and further. The fact that they can say literally anything, and huge masses of people will simply believe it, and follow.
That must be a moment for each "cult leader", when they realize that these people out there will literally believe whatever he tells him, do what he says, and give him their money, give him whatever he asks for.
Its like taking candy from a baby.

This is why cults are growing, and becoming more of a problem. Its just too easy.
You don't even have to be an expert in Mind Control, just start out with some straight up lying.

It seems to me that literally only a few percent of the public has any type of developed critical thinking ability.
There are huge swaths of the population that will just fall for all of it. How high...I don't know...50%? Some huge number.

I guess that is why you rarely see a cult leader "quit". Can anyone think of one? They just keep going, and they still bring in money.
Its a danger to look at too much of this stuff, and seeing the mass of ignorance and credulity out there can make you extremely cynical.
But its clear that all cult leaders at some point realize they can get away with murder, with the unwashed masses, and they just go for it, and they do mainly get away with it.

There are just a tiny minority of people fighting against this, and this is one of those sites. Thank goodness for that.

But it is really disturbing to see what is going on out there, and what people with a knowledge of Mind Control could do to large numbers of people. Hitler knew all about this...that is why they said tell a Big Lie...a person with knowledge of this can do a lot of damage in this world...

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 16, 2007 12:28PM

Your book and the section it will go in are needed NOW. I did a quick check of my neighborhood bookstore self-help section (to see if The Secret is there) and saw Sedona Method, L. Ron Hubbard and others. Where can one find books that examine and dispute that crap? That crap needs to be challenged - loudly! Anyone wanna start a (counter) movement? Get on Oprah, cruise the circuit, exposing and discussing all the crap. Start a discussion, stimulate some critical thinking.

I so wish I had the time to put into a book with just that title and topic! (see, the secret crap doesn't work! If it did, I'd be at a book promo in an anti-cult book store right now! :) ) Real life and committments becon me onward.
I get the creeps just thinking of those creepy books and the creepy authors in self help sections! Those books are misrepresented by the bookstores. They should be in the 'fiction', 'science-fiction' or 'voodoo' sections.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 16, 2007 12:44PM

I think they should be in the 'Romance' section. This whole self-empowerment trip is about 'falling in love' with yourself! Some will make a lifelong comittment, but many of these 'romances' will sour when the honeymoon is over ...

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 16, 2007 01:53PM

lol!! Good point!

If they were all gathered in the 'romance' section, it'd save a lot of running around in the book store.
Imagine shopping for a mythical, magical, abusive, and money growing experience all in one package! There'd be a lot of running to do to fill that list...mmmmmm lets see, gotta get some magic..oh, here's 'the secret'!...mmmmm, can't forget to get some mythical to chase the magic, and my oh my wouldn't you know it, here's L. Ron blubbard. Wouldn't feel right without a little abuse and exploitation, alas, dear me :cry: ....landmark doesn't believe in writing books about their sadist ways, oh well, maybe next trip...Last but not least, need to make some easy money fast and oh, here we have....(-----) whoever the #1 con is at teaching how to make millions literally while you sleep, and I am ashamed to say I don't know who that is! Yikes, I'm a sitting target!

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 16, 2007 02:01PM

Oprah: So, you are a skeptic and propose to reveal the true nature of life.

You: Why yes, it's really quite simple. Be a decent human being to your fellow humans, work hard, focus on your goal and be prepared for setbacks. But most of all keep at it."

Oprah: MOMENT OF STUNNED SILENCE

You: Simple, really.

Oprah: Our next guest will tell us how they can manifest chocolate from the recovered hair of their housepets...

COMMERCIAL

Till then we have Michael Shermer, The Amazing Randi and others. Too bad Sagan is dead.[/url]

love it! too funny and probably so accurately predicted scenario!

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: February 16, 2007 02:44PM

The Anticult
There are just a tiny minority of people fighting against this, and this is one of those sites. Thank goodness for that.

Tiny VOCAL minority is important. Yes, thank goodness for this site.

Current Page: 9 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.