Current Page: 1 of 45
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: February 09, 2007 12:53PM

Anyone hear of it, know anything?

A friend told me about it today, it was on Oprah. Sounds like "you create your reality". This crap is EVERYWHERE!!!!

skeptic

Options: ReplyQuote
The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 09, 2007 01:39PM

Uh, maybe it's not a movie. It's a DVD and a book.

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 09, 2007 04:04PM

And a movie. "The Secret" was a movie partially funded and produced by Australia's Channel 9. Australia's The Age newspaper had a feature story a couple of weeks ago but I can't find it on the net to reference it.

Channel 9 didn't see the mass appeal and so shelved it for a while or something, and only decided to screen it late one night recently. It came across as an informercial. I persisted as long as I could but was dead bored.

Now, with the added interest provided by Oprah, there are moves underway for "The Secret 2".

Anyone with any sense can see that the esoteric 'secret' being propounded is merely volition. All this, "you just have to make the decision now," rubbish...

Volition. It's not such a highly-kept secret, guys.

Celebrities like Oprah, and more and more lately, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, should be ashamed of themselves. Perhaps this "we create our own realities," nonsense helps these celebrities feel like they deserve their outrageous fortunes. They can all keep telling themselves. I just wish they wouldn't keep shoving it in my face.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 09, 2007 04:18PM

A friend told me about it today, it was on Oprah. Sounds like "you create your reality". This crap is EVERYWHERE!!!!

skeptic

heard of it and watched it too. My landmarkian friend felt compelled to spend some time with me after avoiding me for a long time, and wanted to watch a 'movie'. It was 'The Secret'. It was a failed attempt to get me to see things in the new agey/landmarkian way. It didn't work, I critiqued the documentary (wasn't a movie at all) the whole way through and pointed out every part that I knew to be BS. I was informed that 'everyone' is watching it and we should too. 'Everyone' being New Agers or soon to be New Agers and the cultists who have bought into the fantasies offered in the beliefs I heard being declared as facts on the DVD. ''The secret' is not a secret anymore than landmark or any other cult is the secret to life.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: February 09, 2007 04:33PM

ON2 LF

skeptic

heard of it and watched it too. My landmarkian friend felt compelled to spend some time with me after avoiding me for a long time, and wanted to watch a 'movie'. It was 'The Secret'. It was a failed attempt to get me to see things in the new agey/landmarkian way. It didn't work, I critiqued the documentary (wasn't a movie at all) the whole way through and pointed out every part that I knew to be BS. I was informed that 'everyone' is watching it and we should too. 'Everyone' being New Agers or soon to be New Agers and the cultists who have bought into the fantasies offered in the beliefs I heard being declared as facts on the DVD. ''The secret' is not a secret anymore than landmark or any other cult is the secret to life.

I was hanging out with a brainwashed zombie landmarkian myself recently who recommended I see "The Secret". It was all this person could talk about. One has to wonder if they are promoting it in their coursework and/or had some sort of financial links to the production of the film....

I'm still wondering about the background/origins of that second production company involved with the Werner Erhard puff-piece film Transformation - EAGLE ISLAND FILMS... That was the only film that this production company has produced - creepy???

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 09, 2007 05:33PM

That is creepy. Who makes an entire career or business out of just one project, one film, and one person?

was hanging out with a brainwashed zombie landmarkian myself recently who recommended I see "The Secret". It was all this person could talk about. One has to wonder if they are promoting it in their coursework and/or had some sort of financial links to the production of the film....

they must think that watching 'The Secret' will just create instant followers. I don't think it occurs to our landmarkian friends or even to other landmarkians that not everyone desires the quick and easy road to so called success, and not everyone is drawn to the idea of being able to just have whatever the wishes and wants of the mind might be. The Secret held no appeal to me whatsoever, it just reeked of everything that creates such a hunger in people that they sell their souls to reach it.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 09, 2007 05:55PM

The Secret is a marketing ploy, using the old New Thought "mind cure" ideas, same as Unity, Religious Science, Christian Science, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Choprah, Abraham-Hicks, and zillions of other people. Its the same New Age idea that has been sold since the 1980's and before.

(You can watch the movie for free right here, as of now)
Free online version of the film (Complete Version), The Secret [/color:4f66c284bf]
[video.google.com]

Its a sham from top to bottom. Rhonda Byrne just took a bunch of the ideas, interviewed some people, and slapped it together, to cash-in on the What The Bleep craze. She even uses some of the same hacks from What The Bleep.
She is also using the technique of The DaVinci Code, that is all a big conspiracy, which is pure marketing 101.

She got lucky, and is making millions as we speak. They are even literally selling Gratitude Rocks, which are just rocks, for up to $40.
Rhonda is very slick, and is very dishonest, pretending its a Secret, when this crap has been promoted since the 1800's, starting with Quimby.

I know all about this "New Thought" stuff, and its a mental trap, and leads to absurd ideas like the people in the Holocaust attracted that to themselves, and those in the Twin Towers attracted that as well. Nonsense.

Its a junky philosophy, and it can entrap people, as part of the philosophy is to NEVER DOUBT, and if you doubt, you attract doubt. So you have to BELIEVE, no matter what.
People get trapped into a Catch-22, and really can mess themselves up.

Visualization, and positive thinking, in its basics are great. But this stuff goes WAY beyond this, and says you ATTRACT everything, including cancer, and you can "melt" cancer away with positive thoughts, and all the rest of it...

I think JACK CANFIELD is behind this...he was seated right next to Oprah. I think Jack set this up, planned it, financed it, and is marketing it, and has a cut of the profits. Can't prove that...yet...

more later...

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:06PM

Oh yes! The rock bizo. That's right. There was this cheesy reconstruction in the movie to justify the selling of ordinary rocks for $40 a piece. You've just got to believe, remember.

Are we to assume Oprah is stupid or in on it?

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: elena ()
Date: February 10, 2007 01:14AM

The Anticult

She got lucky, and is making millions as we speak. They are even literally selling Gratitude Rocks, which are just rocks, for up to $40.
Rhonda is very slick, and is very dishonest, pretending its a Secret, when this crap has been promoted since the 1800's, starting with Quimby.

...Or earlier. I think unscrupulous types started taking advantage of the situation when cave-men walked the earth. Think about it -- those few "natural" human predators looked around and realized there was a huge herd of nervous and easily fooled "prey" and the way to catch them was to offer some pretense of magical power over events and the unknown that would better their chances of survival in a world fraught with dangers and unpredictable disasters. Their current inheritors are the same guys who figured out that people will pump their hard-earned cash into machines that offer a (slim-to-nothing) chance of winning something/anything. The funny thing is that you'd have to put real cheese in a trap to catch a mouse but to catch a human you can use fake cheese, a picture of cheese, a piece of plastic (or a rock, evidently).

Ellen

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:19AM

Thanks for your comments. It's just as I suspected, based on things my friend said. She thought she heard that if you follow "the secret" (shhhhh...nice gimmick to attract attention), you will have no more problems in life. What a GIGANTIC AND SICK LIE. This is a friend who has supported me through thick and thin, including my rage at the LGAT I was sucked into, and who doesn't fall for this kind of crap. So imagine my surprise when I was telling her about a difficult time I had recently and she advised me to think positively because I will attract only positive experiences! She then told me she'd seen The Secret on Oprah, so I asked some questions. Based on what she told me, it sounded just like the unuseable, magic thinking that LGATs use.

This sh*t is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Page: 1 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.