Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Am I just being paranoid?
Posted by: mazellan ()
Date: December 21, 2006 10:02AM

I went to my local library to get Outrageous betrayal : the dark journey of Werner Erhard from est to exile by Steven Pressman.

It was not on the shelf, the location listed in the catalogue was 'Administration'

So I ask at the desk, the helpful man says it is 'upstairs' and it will only take a day or two to retrieve.

A week later no word, so I ask again. A phone call later to 'upstairs' I get told "that book is marked for deletion". I ask why. "It happens all the time, after all it is 10 years old"

10 years old? It is one of the newer books. The librarian thought I was nuts when I suggested a Landmarkian member of staff might have wanted it removed.

She has requested it from another library. This should be interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 21, 2006 10:47AM

mazellan
I went to my local library to get Outrageous betrayal : the dark journey of Werner Erhard from est to exile by Steven Pressman.

It was not on the shelf, the location listed in the catalogue was 'Administration'

So I ask at the desk, the helpful man says it is 'upstairs' and it will only take a day or two to retrieve.

A week later no word, so I ask again. A phone call later to 'upstairs' I get told "that book is marked for deletion". I ask why. "It happens all the time, after all it is 10 years old"

10 years old? It is one of the newer books. The librarian thought I was nuts when I suggested a Landmarkian member of staff might have wanted it removed.

She has requested it from another library. This should be interesting.

It's pretty easy to order it online, and 2 chapters are excerpted as fair use:

Enlightenment in Two Weekends - The est Training
[perso.orange.fr]

A Door to Door Mind Salesman
[perso.orange.fr]

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 21, 2006 11:23AM

Its certainly possible a Landmarkian Librarian could put the book on deletion status.
Or even a Landmarkian patron could just "lose it" to get it off the shelf.
They want that book off the shelf, and its not in all libraries.

But libraries do get rid of books all the time..

But....
I have seen critical articles from cults missing from the library.
I recall one example when years of a certain magazine was in the system, but the ONE ISSUE with a large article on one cult was missing from several libraries. The cult obviously sent someone to get rid of it.
Thank goodness for digital articles now.

Since Outrageous Betrayal is out of print, hopefully [b:61422fad6c]someone out there in cyberland will scan the book as a PDF, and then release into the P2P and torrent system[/b:61422fad6c]. That would only be about 20 minutes work to scan the book...maybe someone already has...its very easy to do...a person just scans the book in Adobe Acrobat as a vector graphics image of the text (not OCR).

Here are some used copies for cheap...
[www.amazon.com]

But interlibrary loan is possible as well...

Date: December 21, 2006 12:52PM

The Anticult
Its certainly possible a Landmarkian Librarian could put the book on deletion status.

But....
I recall one example when years of a certain magazine was in the system, but the ONE ISSUE with a large article on one cult was missing from several libraries. The cult obviously sent someone to get rid of it.

Since Outrageous Betrayal is out of print, hopefully [b:8bc6bfca71]someone out there in cyberland will scan the book as a PDF, and then release into the P2P and torrent system[/b:8bc6bfca71]. That would only be about 20 minutes work to scan the book...maybe someone already has...its very easy to do...a person just scans the book in Adobe Acrobat as a vector graphics image of the text (not OCR).

[www.amazon.com]

You raise a very, very interesting idea...

I think libraries do get rid of books from time to time - just like that. My copy of the book was an older library book that I got used online, very good condition.

Date: December 21, 2006 02:58PM

Libraries have to constantly get rid of older books, especially low-volume ones...or where do they put the new books?
:D

you can buy used books from the library system all the time, for a buck or two.

But that's what's good about ebooks in the future, then the library can be infinite...

Date: December 21, 2006 04:13PM

I've been known to slide Scientology texts under shelves.

Date: December 22, 2006 01:15AM

The Anticult

But....

Since Outrageous Betrayal is out of print, hopefully [b:811064b388]someone out there in cyberland will scan the book as a PDF, and then release into the P2P and torrent system[/b:811064b388]. That would only be about 20 minutes work to scan the book...maybe someone already has...its very easy to do...a person just scans the book in Adobe Acrobat as a vector graphics image of the text (not OCR).

[www.amazon.com]

Most people are probably not familiar with the Adobe Full (professional) version software, you can find version 7 in a good complete version over the Pirate Bay torrents or some such P2P.

Perhaps you could explain a little bit more specifically how to do this process once one has the Adobe software?

Date: December 22, 2006 04:22AM

If a person had any type of paper text documents, a great way to digitize them is using Adobe Acobat, (the full version, not the free Reader).
What is good about it, is that it scans very clearly, and the file size is kept really small, and it can even be printed again and look great.
It also automatically puts the pages in order, and gives a PDF file that anyone can read.
(but it is not OCR, so its a "picture" of the text, and not a text document)

So once a person has Adobe Acrobat...and if you have a scanner attached to your computer, you open the Adobe software and you press...

FILE/IMPORT/SCAN
(this opens your scanner software)

Then you scan as TEXT (not photo or grayscale) at 300 DPI.

You then just scan whatever it is you are scanning, and once you are done, you SAVE the document, and name it...you will see the file sizes are nice and small, and the quality is very good.

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: December 27, 2006 09:01PM

I'd really encourage anyone to get the author's permission before they go scanning and uploading a copy for the good of mankind.

An author puts in a lot of work to produce the content (which we obviously value highly) and it rightly belongs to them.

No matter what screaming chasm of need there is for the information, you should obtain permission from the author wherever possible. It's the right thing to do.

Otherwise, feel free to write and donate your own original content.

John

Date: December 28, 2006 04:14AM

John Fox
I'd really encourage anyone to get the author's permission before they go scanning and uploading a copy for the good of mankind.

An author puts in a lot of work to produce the content (which we obviously value highly) and it rightly belongs to them.

No matter what screaming chasm of need there is for the information, you should obtain permission from the author wherever possible. It's the right thing to do.

Otherwise, feel free to write and donate your own original content.

John

All very good points.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.