Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
U.S. Dept. Labor investigating Landmark ?
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 06, 2006 05:32AM

Interesting information from the alt.fan.landmark archives, back in 1998, I guess no volunteers had come forward to formally lodge a complaint with the US Dept Labor, maybe that is what it would take :

[groups.google.com]

LEC & The U.S. Department of Labor
Author:ESumerlin
Date: 1998/01/23
Forum: alt.fan.landmark

I received a letter today from the U.S. Department of Labor stating that
they had completed an investigation of Landmark Education and
determined that volunteers of Landmark were employees subject to
the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. LEC did not agree
with the determination.

If an employer is found to have violated the wage and hour laws,
an employee is entitled to: back pay, liquidated damages equal
to the amount of unpaid back wages and attorney and court costs.
There is a 2 year statue of limitations which is extended to 3 years
if the employer's violation was intentional. This is from the book:
"Every Employee's Guide to the Law".

That user cited the post again here:
[groups.google.com]

For anyone who hasn't previously seen me post this, I have a letter
from the DOL stating that they determined the volunteers of LEC
are employees subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act. LEC
did not agree. Someone who has volunteered for LEC will either have
to file a complaint with the DOL or start a class action suit to
settle it. There is a 2 year statute of limitation, 3 year if the
violation is found to be intentional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 19, 2006 02:29PM

original link from wikipedia, and subsequent deletion of the info by a Landmark follower :

[en.wikipedia.org]

Controversy surrounding Landmark's estimated 7500 unpaid laborers has placed the company at the heart of an ongoing investigation by the US Department of Labor. Roger Gayman is a spokesman for the Department of Labor in San Francisco, where Landmark is based. In March of 2006, he confirmed that the DOL has launched an investigation into Landmark’s labor practices. “It’s an ongoing investigation,” said Gayman. “At this time I can’t comment on this or any prior investigations involving Landmark Education.”

Date: December 19, 2006 02:33PM

Related useful link :

[b:1f205276c2]FairPay — Filing a Complaint for Back Wages Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) [/b:1f205276c2]
[www.dol.gov]

[b:1f205276c2]When Should a Complaint be Filed? [/b:1f205276c2]

The FLSA contains a two-year statute of limitations (three-years for willful violations). This means that any part of a back wage claim which was earned more than two years before a federal court lawsuit is filed may not be collectible.
Accordingly, to ensure WHD can complete its investigation before the statute of limitation expires, employees should file complaints with WHD as soon as the violation occurs but no later than 18 months after the violation occurred.

Date: December 21, 2006 08:54PM

More helpful info...
[www.dol.gov]

From: [b:ca1485a3d1]Handy Reference Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)[/b:ca1485a3d1]

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and youth employment standards affecting full-time and part-time workers in the private sector and in Federal, State, and local governments.

[b:ca1485a3d1]Basic Wage Standards[/b:ca1485a3d1]

Covered nonexempt workers are entitled to a minimum wage of not less than $5.15 an hour, effective September 1, 1997. Overtime pay at a rate of not less than one and one-half times their regular rates of pay is required after 40 hours of work in a workweek.

Wages required by FLSA are due on the regular payday for the pay period covered. Deductions made from wages for such items as cash or merchandise shortages, employer-required uniforms, and tools of the trade, are not legal to the extent that they reduce the wages of employees below the minimum rate required by FLSA or reduce the amount of overtime pay due under FLSA.

[b:ca1485a3d1]Who is Covered?[/b:ca1485a3d1]

All employees of certain enterprises having workers engaged in interstate commerce, producing goods for interstate commerce, or handling, selling, or otherwise working on goods or materials that have been moved in or produced for such commerce by any person, are covered by FLSA.

A covered enterprise is the related activities performed through unified operation or common control by any person or persons for a common business purpose and -

(1) whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000 (exclusive of
excise taxes at the retail level that are separately stated); or
(2) is engaged in the operation of a hospital, an institution primarily engaged in the care of the sick, the
aged, or the mentally ill who reside on the premises; a school for mentally or physically disabled or gifted
children; a preschool, an elementary or secondary school, or an institution of higher education (whether
operated for profit or not for profit); or
(3) is an activity of a public agency.

And from
[b:ca1485a3d1]The est of Friends[/b:ca1485a3d1]
[www.culteducation.com]

I wonder what kind of racket the Department of Labor was running when it investigated Landmark and determined its volunteers were employees subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Who's heard of volunteers for a for-profit?

From the info above, one can see that Landmark is violating Federal Law, and should be paying its employee "volunteers" all at least Federal minimum wage of $5.15 per hour, plus benefits.

Date: December 22, 2006 08:29AM

I have reason to believe from a reliable source that the Department of Labor would like to talk to individuals who have experience volunteering at Landmark Education in any capacity.

The contact person at the United States Department of Labor is:

[b:8899aabb82]Rebecca Clark, United States Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division
clark.rebecca@dol.gov = email

415-744-5590 extension 240 = phone, or ask for Rebecca[/b:8899aabb82]

Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: December 22, 2006 08:52AM

ajinajan
I have reason to believe from a reliable source that the Department of Labor would like to talk to individuals who have experience volunteering at Landmark Education in any capacity.

[b:860595e921]Rebecca Clark, United States Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division

415-744-5590 extension 240 = phone, or ask for Rebecca[/b:860595e921]

Excellent job ajinajan. You are to be commended. I wonder if we should email Ms. Clark with links to the Rick Ross and other cult information websites and point her in the direction of Landmark's volunteer program?

Date: December 22, 2006 08:54AM

Excalibur
ajinajan

[b:1c19357c04]Rebecca Clark, United States Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division

415-744-5590 extension 240 = phone, or ask for Rebecca[/b:1c19357c04]

Excellent job ajinajan. You are to be commended. I wonder if we should email Ms. Clark with links to the Rick Ross and other cult information websites and point her in the direction of Landmark's volunteer program?

Whatever you wish, I'm sure that would probably be helpful.

But the most crucial thing is for them to hear from at least ONE disaffected volunteer, I would imagine...

Date: December 24, 2006 04:16PM

Interesting new section at the Landmark database on the Rick Ross site:

It's called Labor Violations Investigations
[www.culteducation.com]

U.S. Department of Labor in Texas response Freedom of Information Act request
[www.culteducation.com]

U.S. Department of Labor investigation of Landmark Education in Dallas, Texas assigned
[www.culteducation.com]

U.S. Department of Labor investigation of Landmark Education in Denver, Colorado report completed
[www.culteducation.com]

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.