Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Momentum Education
Posted by: JD3 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 02:28AM

Ok... SO I HAVE READ ALL THE INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN POSTED HERE ON MOMENTUM EDUCATION. FIRST I WANT TO SAY THAT I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH MOMENTUM EDUCATION, I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THIER COURSES, AND I AM WRITING THIS BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES WITH A COUPLE WHO TOOK THE COURSES AND HOW I HAVE OBSERVED THE CHANGE THAT TOOK PLACE AFTERWARDS IN THIER LIFE AND RELATIONSHIP.

WHILE ALL OF YOU OBSERVERS AND PEOPLE WRITE ABOUT THIS COURSE, HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE ACTUALLY TAKEN IT END TO END? I BET NONE OF YOU. I SAY THIS BECAUSE ALTHOUGH I BELIEVE THAT YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING GOOD FOR SOCIETY DENOUNCING IT, IN REALITY WHAT IT APPEARS YOU ARE DOING IS SIMPLY TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT. THE COUPLE THAT I KNOW FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW HAVE FOUND SO MUCH VALUE IN THIS COURSE/PROGRAM THAT IT HAS ENHANCED THEIR LIVES TO BE PART OF IT.

YOU COULD CALL EVERY ATHLETIC PROGRAM A CULT, YOU COULD CALL EVERY MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER A CULT, YOU COULD CALL THE PUBLIC EDUCATION SYSTEM A CULT, AND OF COURSE EVERY GOVERNMENT IN THE WORLD A CULT.

TRUTH IS THAT WHEN A PROGRAM LIKE THIS CHANGES PEOPLES LIVES FOR THE POSITIVE, WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH IT? UNLESS OF COURSE THIS WEB SITE IS A CULT.

THAT IS MY HONEST OPINION. NOW WHILE THE MOMENTUM EDUCTION TEAM COULD SUE EVERYONE OF YOU FOR SLANDER, THEY KNOW THESE WORDS EXISTS, HOWEVER, THEY ALLOW THEM TO STAND AS THEY KNOW THAT EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO AN OPINION. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW LONG YOU ALLOW THIS POST TO REPRESENT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY.

MOMENTUM EDUCATION HELPS PEOPLES LIVES. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY TAKE THE PROGRAM AND SEE JUST HOW SUCCESSFUL IT IS RATHER THAN SLANDER IT FROM A SAFE DISTANCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jill w ()
Date: December 06, 2014 10:00PM

Is this the same as ACCD Momentus?

"Live and let live" is one of my favorite sayings.

However, emotional abuse gives birth to more emotional abuse...that's a problem.

Four days of sleep deprivation and mind games is dangerous for some.

Make no mistake...this is about money!

Waiver Forms
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 10, 2014 01:24AM

Quick Q & A on Breakthrough/ Momentus Trainings
www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/brk_quickq&a.htm
The Breakthrough training requires all participants to sign a "Hold Harmless" statement in which they pledge that they will not hold ACCD and training staff

A discussion of waiver forms on this message board

[forum.culteducation.com]

than Ten Voices Offer Valid Criticisms of Breakthrough ...
www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/brk_mythof10.htm
The Breakthrough/Momentous Training, its sponsor, the Association for ... Or is this just a ploy to prevent potential recruits from reading valid criticisms of the training? .... The ACCD has used the threat of lawsuits to try to eliminate publications ...
Breakthrough/Momentus - Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org/articles/breakthroughmomentus/
Jun 10, 2009 - ... Breakthrough has engendered concerns, criticisms, and complaints from observers and ... Terms used by Breakthrough to describe its training, quoted from the ... The ACCD Web site article, What Do You Do in the Training?
The Dawn Patrol: Disturbing 'Discovery'
dawneden.blogspot.com/2009/03/disturbing-discovery.html
Mar 30, 2009 - Disturbing 'Discovery' ... human-potential organization, Lifespring, that trained ACCD founder Dan Tocchini. ... There are numerous pages on the Web containing criticisms of the ACCD—formerly known as Momentus and as ...

Date: December 20, 2014 12:47AM

Some Amazon book reviews
Date: December 20, 2014 12:59AM

[www.amazon.com]

Killing the Victim Before the Victim Kills You: Building Relationships Through Keeping Promises

0 of 18 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Christians beware, October 8, 2004
By
ssfn (Happy, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killing the Victim Before the Victim Kills You: Building Relationships Through Keeping Promises (Paperback)
This book is the followup for the ACCD Momentus Breakthrough Training. It is part of a deceptive, physically, psychologically & spiritually dangerous, large group manipulation training experiment adopted from est/landmark/lifespring.

If you are interested in learning more about the psychological manipulation tactics used on you every day- I recommend an excellent, eyeopening book - Influence, by Robert Cialdini. You'll see an example here in that at least one positive review here is from people that gain financially from the book and seminars.

If you are interested in personal & Christian growth, there are plenty of other ways. They might require self-discipline, reliance on the Holy Spirit instead of man and take longer than 60 hours of manipulation, but they are significantly less likely to lead to apostasy, broken marriages, psychosis, suicide, and eternal separation from God.

Try these keywords on Google: momentus/mashiyach ministries/"The Way"/Lifespring/cult/LGAT/Dan Tocchini

PS: To be fair- i havent read this book, but I've taken their training session and read some of their other book - which is full of doublespeak that is designed to only make sense if you've taken the training. From that vantage point, it's obvious to me that the title really means "Killing Your Perception of Being Victimized by Us So We Can Keep on Doing It: Building a Profitable Cult through the Principle of Psychic Consistency"
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

21 of 52 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars New Age Psychobabble Masquerading as Christian Growth, June 12, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Killing the Victim Before the Victim Kills You: Building Relationships Through Keeping Promises (Paperback)
Don't let this book deceive you! Like the Momentus training from which its principles derive, this book is pure New Age psychobabble rooted not in the Bible or Christianity, despite the claims of its authors and the glowing reviews of the deceived, but in the secular humanist-potential movement. This book sums up in print form what the authors inflict on people in the Momentus training (recently changed in name to Breakthrough because of all the bad publicity from the people it's hurt), although it's watered down from what actually goes on in the training. Momentus, in turn, is a watered down version of the Lifespring human-potential training, a first cousin of Werner Erhard's est trainings, with a thin Christian facade used to trick Christians into taking and accepting its decidedly non-Christian teachings. And these teachings have caused physical, emotional and mental damage to countless unwary trainees over the past 10 years.

Killing the Victim appears to be an attempt by the authors, who are also the main trainers of Momentus/Breakthrough, to reach a larger audience (and likely recruit more people for the trainings themselves). (Co-author Pinci was no longer a trainer at last word, having left the parent ministry.) The book is full of New Age concepts and pop-psychology and all too short on scripture. (Which is understandable, as its tenets have no basis in Christian scripture at all.) Telling, too, is the fact that none of the authors even have any professional credentials in any psychological discipline whatsoever--so by what authority do they speak? This book is no more valid to true, beneficial change in anyone's life than if it were written by any other self-proclaimed, untrained "expert" on the subject. It is, in fact, quite dangerous to one's own mental and emotional health should a reader actually try to follow the advice in its pages. And to a Christian, it is absolutely destructive to one's spiritual life and Christian walk.

As noted, however, the main problem with this book lies in its claims to be Christian in origin and tone. If the authors were honest in relating where they got their ideas and concepts rather than attempting to portray them as Christian, this book would be somewhat less objectionable (though not very). At least readers who are Christian and would never consider following humanist psychological or New Age advice would know where the authors are really coming from. Then, if someone really wanted this kind of information and wanted to follow it, they'd know exactly what they were getting. Instead, Killing the Victim actually victimizes its readers--those who are Christians, at least--by giving the false impression that its ideas come from the Bible and scriptural principles instead of humanism and the New Age. This makes Killing the Victim little more than modern-day snake oil.

I urge any potential reader of this book who is Christian and who wants to become a better Christian to avoid it like the black plague. Those who follow its recommendations invariably become more self-oriented rather than God-oriented, as Christian scripture commands. The supposed Christian authors who've endorsed this book obviously have either not truly read it or are themselves so immersed in secular humanist psychology that they're no longer reliable guides to a Christian walk.

I see that, as I write this review, the book isn't currently available. I'd like to think that means that it's permanently out of print and no longer lurking somewhere in bookstores as a time bomb for undiscerning readers. Unfortunately, as the ministry for which its authors work has recently undergone a name change to escape recent exposes of its trainings, it's likely it's simply going to come out later in a new edition with the relevant updates. Don't be fooled! The only victim this book really deals with is the one you'll become by reading it and following what it says. Let he who has ears hear these words.

Note: I gave this book 1 star only because the reviewing form doesn't allow me to give it no stars--or, what would be more appropriate, negative stars.
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comments (5)

8 of 30 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars CULT JARGON, May 15, 2000
By A Customer
Reader beware this is a form of cult jargon that will result in the ruin of your business and your life -- take this advice from a reader and ex 4-day brainwashing training seminar attendee...

[accdtx.tripod.com]

4 day seminars
Date: January 07, 2015 11:28AM

JD3 wrote back in 2011 that people were not being fair about these groups.

These 4 day seminars that claim to change your life for the better and ever are businesses.

They make a lot of money.

Do they help some? Maybe.

But do they do harm at times? Absolutely.

If it is so great, then why all of the secrecy? Why all of the lawsuits?

Church is free. Going to Temple is free. There is free help out there.

Do your homework before going. That's all. Research before going. Read the good and the bad.

Is there harm in at least looking into who you are giving your hard earned money to?

Posted by: Truthteller65 ()
Date: March 03, 2015 04:50AM

I see all kinds of misinformation here from well-meaning people who seem to be operating from a place of fear about something that they have no first-hand knowledge about.

Momentum Education and other LGATs don't rise to the level of "cult" in even the most narrow definition of the term. Who ever heard of a cult that meets only on certain weekends? I've been through the entire Momentum program myself and I can verify that one can walk away from these workshops whenever one decides that they're done. Does Momentum try hard to sell participants the next workshop? Of course they do! Like every other company, they need to pay their salaries, rent, etc. If I owned that business, I'd do the same thing.

When I started with Momentum, I did a lot of research into LGATs such as Landmark, PSI and Lifespring (which was most similar to Momentum). What I found was that they got a bad rap in the 80s when people decided that they were cults. All it is (and all it ever was) is group life coaching.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 03, 2015 05:01AM

Truthteller65:

LGATs are not necessarily "cults," but they do have a negative history of personal injury lawsuits, bad press, complaints and labor violations.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This subsection within the archives reflects some of the bad press and complaints.

Anyone considering an LGAT must reflect upon that negative history.

There are much safer alternatives such as continuing education through an accredited institution, counseling from a licensed professional, support group sponsored in the local community facilitated by a licensed professional through community services, etc.

Just talking things over with family or friends is safer and most likely more productive than an LGAT.

This article about "Mass Marathon Training" aka LGATs is helpful in understanding what to watch out for to avoid getting hurt by an LGAT.

The groups were determined to be dangerous when:

Leaders had rigid, unbending beliefs about what participants should experience and believe, how they should behave in the group. and when they should change.

Leaders had no sense of differential diagnosis and assessment skills, valued cathartic emotional breakthroughs as the ultimate therapeutic experience, and sadistically pressed to create or force a breakthrough in every participant.

Leaders had an evangelical system of belief that was the one single pathway to salvation.

Leaders were true believers and sealed their doctrine off from discomforting data or disquieting results and tended to discount a poor result by, "blaming the victim."

Think about it.

Most LGATs use coercive persuasion techniques to gain undue influence over participants.

The key factors that distinguish coercive persuasion from other training and socialization schemes are:

The reliance on intense interpersonal and psychological attack to destabilize an individual's sense of self to promote compliance.

The use of an organized peer group.

Applying interpersonal pressure to promote conformity.

The manipulation of the totality of the person's social environment to stabilize behavior once modified.

Date: March 04, 2015 10:36PM

Thank you rrmoderator for your response.

Our experience as a family was very different than that of "Truthteller65"

These people that lead these groups are not qualified!

Please read the headline on the main page regarding James Arthur Ray.

Burying a loved one who attended his seminars is pretty bad.

They are playing with fire and most of the time have ZERO education and experience.

They straight up lie to get your money!

"Truthteller65", Was it worth the money? Do you encourage your other family members to go?

Did your life really change for the better or did you just simply pay the stupid tax and a donation on top of that to companies like ACCD?

Posted by: NYCSubway ()
Date: March 08, 2021 10:14PM

Momentum Education is a cult that utilizes social-psychological warfare to target individuals who do struggle with certain aspects of their life path as we all do. Like the snakes in the pulpit (Pastors, Preachers, Deacons, etc.), they profit from their members' emotionality. This organization has adopted many of the tenants of the 48 Powers of Law by Robert Greene.

Their educators are class-action bullies. When you step into your power, many of them have a problem with that. They feel like they should be benefitting from your success. I paid for all of my seats in Momentum Education. No one funded me. I don't owe anyone anything. They will use your weaknesses discovered in basic, advanced, and LT to further play with your emotions to get you to enroll in their new and upcoming workshops. They coach and groom people within the organization to befriend you to try to get to enroll you back into participating in the organization's event. I recall receiving a phone call about registering for more workshops. I said I already did Basic, Advanced, and LT. They said I didn't do Mastery or Impactful Coaching. If your single, they try to push you into their Love workshops, and if you have financial issues, they will push you into their financial seminars. I have yet to meet anyone that benefitted from those two specific programs. They will refer you to their money workshops run by an individual that recently received a $20,000.00 GofundMe to rebuild her home that burned down. It is a nice gesture, but how does that look that their top money expert needed a GoFundMe. Where is your reserve? They will then push Doterra products on you. If you don't engage in any of these activities, they will passive-aggressively bully you, scream, or harass you online or offline differently. The members who don't want to engage in gainful employment will vary and target other members who are doing well and beg for money or tell you that you need to be more giving and give away money. It's just sickening what's going on in this "network." If you’re not vegan or on the journey of being vegan, many of them eyeball you and blame your health challenges on eating meat. LOL. I know many individuals who are not vegan and are very healthy.

You can't have a conversation with these people without someone attempting to "coach you" so that they can get the honor of saying that helped you. "I am responsible for this person's success because I coached them." Meanwhile, you may be just venting or asking for advice. They will use that entirely against you and throw it back in your face weeks or months later. You have to be mindful of the relationships you form as some leaders participating in Momentum’s Psychoanalytic Program are using "connections," aka friendships, as their research for this course. I know individuals who are very close to the lead coaches and have shared information with me. So, while you think you are having a heart-to-heart with a friend, you are being observed, pushed, pulled, and coached to benefit their assignments. There is a difference between being in this program and being forthcoming that you need to engage with someone for research vs. forming a false relationship for research.

They claim that we are all co-creators but don't take responsibility for their fuck ups within creation or collaboration. They will incessantly harass you about your life and goals. It's quite disgusting, especially for the LMHC, LCSW, LPC, and Psychologists within the company. These people who are in the mental health arena should know better! I've had so many experiences where I have paid other people in the network for services, and they deliver their services poorly or don't deliver at all. The excuse will be, well, where are you not delivering services in your own life. They will flip specific outcomes back against you to justify keeping money for services they did not deliver. If Microsoft is paying you for assistance, I am pretty sure that you would provide them. However, because so many people in the network are not on Microsoft's level, they tend to drop the ball with delivering services. It's money-hungry people who don't want to do the work because they learned from the organization that they could effortlessly get money. Their idea of effortlessly getting cash is asking for handouts consistently.

My Emo (the person who brought me into the organization) was the least supportive individual I have ever met who can mask herself as if she's a supporter. If I were going through a personal challenge, she would blame my challenge on not giving more to others and helping other people out. They use the Giver vs. Taker activity from the Advanced Workshop back against you. This activity identifies people who give too much of themselves versus putting their needs first. The takers are selfish individuals who look solely out for themselves. They are opportunists. Some people score high on the end of each spectrum than others. One can use Giver vs. Taker against someone. Suppose you are identified as an individual who needs to put yourself first. Coaches will manipulate you for taking a stand and putting yourself first. For example, I need help for my situation, but she's saying I am not helping others enough and then pitching what she needs or what one of her clients needs and helping her with that. I would never refer anyone to this program. It's more damaging than it appears. This business is a business based on using your emotional well-being and how well you’re doing to THEIR advantage. Momentum Education is entirely different from therapy, whereas therapy focuses on the person as a whole without force. This experience has taught me to be more aware of people’s motives.

If you take a good look at their social media, they are always rotating their leads' successes and not their members' successes within the organizations that have made strides in their careers. The ones highlighted are the ones that are always involved in the promotion of their workshops. I know many people that are no longer actively involved for this exact reason. Poor representation and real inclusivity it's more elitist.

Have I benefited from certain aspects of this program? Yes, I have; however, stepping into my power is viewed as a problem as well. When you step into your power, putting yourself first and smashing goals is considered selfish, showing off, or trying to make other members look bad. Significantly if Momentum Education is not getting credit or your time, they recognize that you need to put yourself first. When you do, it’s a problem that is genuinely their problem as it mirrors what they are failing to do themselves. Right? Mirroring is one of the foundational lessons that they often teach and refer to as an explanation when you experience not-so-great things with any co-creator. The most significant breakthrough I have had was when I decided to disconnect from Momentum Education.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.