Current Page: 15 of 17
Landmark and litigation re: France 3 video - false claims
Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:17PM

After a few minutes you can edit your post. Kinda frustrating, though.

er ... dowp!

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 01, 2006 02:21PM

Oh yeah. [b:fd4b888b37][i:fd4b888b37]NOW[/i:fd4b888b37][/b:fd4b888b37] I notice that the edit button iteself seems to have disappeared. Now I get to look goofy too!

Dang, drat, darn!

John

PS. At least we still have the preview button. :?

Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: December 01, 2006 03:04PM

where is that damned EDIT button anyway? I swear I saw it somewhere (along with my keys)...

Posted by: S_Byers666 ()
Date: December 01, 2006 08:31PM

The Anticult
The original uploader agreed not to upload the video again, so he/she better not!

But its common knowledge that some other person could put the video onto a CD, and upload it to other video websites, and do so from an anonymous internet cafe somewhere where they pay cash to use the computer, and Landmark could never find out who did it.

It looks like the CAIC website will keep the video up.

OK - so a number of people have the torrent version. BUT its only Part 1. Where is the rest of it? Mind you having seen the first hour that was enough for me.

Also if CAIC continue to host it then all that has to be done is to spread the URL. Even better create an easy to remember tiny link. Small videos on Gootube could simply list the URL - that wouldn't be breaking any copyright. Then there are the Usenet Newsgroups - flood them with the URL - but not spam-wise. Simply upload lots of separate posts - again just listing the URL but using Landmark / MKP / whatever so that the posts show up in the search lists.

A major problem with GooTube and other hosting sites maybe that Landmark / MKP indoctrinees are employed at Google / Yahoo / etc. and they may easily be able to remove such uploads.

Maybe YouTube has already been infiltrated.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 02, 2006 03:15AM

Also if CAIC continue to host it then all that has to be done is to spread the URL. Even better create an easy to remember tiny link. Small videos on Gootube could simply list the URL - that wouldn't be breaking any copyright. Then there are the Usenet Newsgroups - flood them with the URL - but not spam-wise. Simply upload lots of separate posts - again just listing the URL but using Landmark / MKP / whatever so that the posts show up in the search lists.

Looks like the press release from Electronic Frontier Foundation has not been spread around the internet that much yet.

Perhaps savvy individuals could post post post and attempt to get this featured on www.boingboing.net and www.slashdot.org and others sites like those?

Posted by: grub ()
Date: December 02, 2006 07:20AM

ajinajan
Perhaps savvy individuals could post post post and attempt to get this featured on www.boingboing.net and www.slashdot.org and others sites like those?

I submitted it to slashdot yesterday, it's still "pending" :)

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 02, 2006 01:20PM

Landmark Drops Copyright Infringement Subpoenas On Google And Anonymous Critic

Landmark sought a subpoena to find out who posted hidden camera footage from an event held by the French branch of the organization.

By K.C. Jones
InformationWeek

Dec 1, 2006 04:19 PM

[www.informationweek.com]

A self-help group has dropped its attempts to claim copyright infringement and identify an anonymous online critic by serving subpoenas on Google and the Internet Archive.

An anonymous critic of Landmark Forum posted hidden camera footage from an event held by the French branch and posted a version with English subtitles on YouTube. The creators classify the piece as a documentary. It is highly critical of Landmark's forums, which are billed as personal growth seminars.

The documentary shows verbal attacks on participants who remain with organizers for 72 hours and can't leave unless first gaining permission. Those tactics have led many, including the Australian Cult Awareness & Information Centre to label the group a cult.

Landmark, also known as EST, sought subpoenas in California courts under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DMCA allows people to subpoena for the identity of those who allegedly infringe on copyrighted material without filing a lawsuit for infringement.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which has an ongoing campaign to stop abuse of the DMCA, intervened on behalf of the anonymous critic and the Internet Archive.

After a series of letters and talks, Landmark agreed this week to withdraw its subpoena to Google and the Internet Archive in exchange for a promise from the anonymous critic that the critic would not re-post the video.

Posted by: MarkusWelch ()
Date: December 02, 2006 01:56PM

ajinajan
Landmark Drops Copyright Infringement Subpoenas On Google And Anonymous Critic

Landmark sought a subpoena to find out who posted hidden camera footage from an event held by the French branch of the organization.

By K.C. Jones
InformationWeek

Dec 1, 2006 04:19 PM

[www.informationweek.com]

A self-help group has dropped its attempts to claim copyright infringement and identify an anonymous online critic by serving subpoenas on Google and the Internet Archive.

An anonymous critic of Landmark Forum posted hidden camera footage from an event held by the French branch and posted a version with English subtitles on YouTube. The creators classify the piece as a documentary. It is highly critical of Landmark's forums, which are billed as personal growth seminars.

The documentary shows verbal attacks on participants who remain with organizers for 72 hours and can't leave unless first gaining permission. Those tactics have led many, including the Australian Cult Awareness & Information Centre to label the group a cult.

Landmark, also known as EST, sought subpoenas in California courts under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DMCA allows people to subpoena for the identity of those who allegedly infringe on copyrighted material without filing a lawsuit for infringement.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which has an ongoing campaign to stop abuse of the DMCA, intervened on behalf of the anonymous critic and the Internet Archive.

After a series of letters and talks, Landmark agreed this week to withdraw its subpoena to Google and the Internet Archive in exchange for a promise from the anonymous critic that the critic would not re-post the video.

The anonymous critic must have known the cat was out of the bag.

Landmark capitulated for other reasons...not in exchange.

What is to stop another poster from reposting it and how would this settlement help Landmark? They are silencing one voice that no longer matters with respect to the video or distribution of it with a 'promise.'

Seems like there is more to this.

Was it the anonymity issue that got them to stop the lawsuit?

Date: December 02, 2006 08:44PM

I think the real issue is that their copyright claims were completely bogus and the response that would have been filed by EFF showed this. And also that the Landmark people were making an abusive use of the law and this would have showed up.

From what I can see the only thing that John Doe agreed to was to not repost the video back to Gootube.

... which leaves the rest of us just as free as we ever were. :P

John

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: December 04, 2006 06:08AM

just wondering if the brief video "transformation" was posted on youtube by a landmarkian..I find it odd that it shows rosenberg doing the same thing that the now famous forum leader was doing in the french video, but LE hasn't had it pulled yet, but of course this one contains a worshipper's version of what erhard/rosenberg is. (sick) If landmark has such an issue with copyright infringement why haven't they had this one tossed?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy8ysxIOyAA&playnext=1

Current Page: 15 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.