Am I being recruited by a cult?
Posted by: Bklynsnag ()
Date: October 19, 2006 01:36AM

A new acquaintance began talking to me in very vague tersm about a group she belongs to that works on "inner development" together. Neither she nor any of the few people she's introduced me to from the group will give a name for the group or any specifics about its structure, how long it's been around, its orgins, etc. have been asking me to participate in an introductory workshop with them, to see if their "work" would be good for me, but something about them makes me nervous. The secrecy (before she told about the group my friend extracted a promise from me not to talk to anyone about what she was about to tell me) makes me very nervous but also intrigued. At first I thought, "well even if it is a cult, it'll be good for a laugh," but after reading this site I worry that I might get sucked in. Is my a priori skepticism enough to protect me from whatever mind control techniques this group may use if it is indeed a harmful cult?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: October 19, 2006 01:50AM

Bklynsnag
A new acquaintance began talking to me in very vague tersm about a group she belongs to that works on "inner development" together. Neither she nor any of the few people she's introduced me to from the group will give a name for the group or any specifics about its structure, how long it's been around, its orgins, etc. have been asking me to participate in an introductory workshop with them, to see if their "work" would be good for me, but something about them makes me nervous.

everything u just posted is a red flag.
u have any belief in yourself ?

would u risk becoming a wacko so u take
the chance at having some fun while this
group no matter what its called attempted
to remove your way of thinking and turn u
into a possible recruiter for them?

The secrecy (before she told about the group my friend extracted a promise from me not to talk to anyone about what she was about to tell me) makes me very nervous but also intrigued.

if u wish, go do it but afterwards if u end up
in a hospital, a mental hospital , possibly
screamaing and wailing for the rest of your
life dont complain.

u may want to make yourself a written memo
to the fact that if u become all wacked out that
u will accept your life destroyed buecause
, hey, it was just a joke.

At first I thought, "well even if it is a cult, it'll be good for a laugh," but after reading this site I worry that I might get sucked in. Is my a priori skepticism enough to protect me from whatever mind control techniques this group may use if it is indeed a harmful cult?

maybe , maybe not. see above if not.

it astonishes me how people will put themselves
in danger and think its childs play.

also make yourself a memo to get back to this
place and tell us what its like to live with
your thinking processes removed.

Posted by: anon0820 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 01:50AM

Bklynsnag
A new acquaintance began talking to me in very vague tersm about a group she belongs to that works on "inner development" together. Neither she nor any of the few people she's introduced me to from the group will give a name for the group or any specifics about its structure, how long it's been around, its orgins, etc. have been asking me to participate in an introductory workshop with them, to see if their "work" would be good for me, but something about them makes me nervous. The secrecy (before she told about the group my friend extracted a promise from me not to talk to anyone about what she was about to tell me) makes me very nervous but also intrigued. At first I thought, "well even if it is a cult, it'll be good for a laugh," but after reading this site I worry that I might get sucked in. Is my a priori skepticism enough to protect me from whatever mind control techniques this group may use if it is indeed a harmful cult?

This has ALL the warning signs...see this link for more information: [www.culteducation.com]

Anytime there is secrecy that they won't tell you anything about the organization, what it does specifically, etc., it is trouble.

Read the other posts on this forum...it will give YOU enlightenment of what goes on behind the closed doors.

Could you get the name of the center? It's possible it may be Personal Dynamics or Landmark Forum - they are both located in NY....but that's just a guess.

As someone quoted, if this looks like a duck and quacks like duck... :roll:

Good luck to you.

Posted by: Murph ()
Date: October 19, 2006 07:22AM

what's the name of the group?

Posted by: Murph ()
Date: October 19, 2006 07:25AM

Sorry, didn't see that they won't tell you the name - doesn't sound like a group I'd want to be investing any of my time, energy or money in. If they won't tell you anything about it, and that you have to experience it, that's a huge red flag. NXIVM uses that and a recent invite to Jness (run by the same person, Nancy Salzman) said the same thing - can't tell you anything about it - you must experience it for yourself ...

Posted by: Steve989 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 10:03AM

"can't tell you anything about it - you must experience it for yourself ...'

Yup, exactly like PSI Seminars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.