Current Page: 4 of 7
Cult Speak????
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:09AM

I have a friend that tells me the same thing about being wrong about what landmark teaches and why it teaches what it does, whether it be about the jargon, the philosophies, and even its motivation for existence. To be honest, I draw alot of my conclusions from direct observation of a devoted follower of LE. I've learned I can't trust the reasons or explanations presented by a devotee for certain behaviors or opinions, I will always have to assess what I witness with logic or knowledge not influenced by LE. I understand how annoying my incorrectness must be for you but you must understand that I wouldn't want to get inside the belly of this beast just to get 'clear' about its inner workings or to see the finer points and purposes to its logic.
You would be amazed at how deeply involved, informed and affected a person can be without having ever attended a forum. You are forced into a situation where you need to understand and learn how to combat something threatening the overall health of a loved one that got sucked in, without getting sucked in yourself. You have to find a way of dealing with the attack that has been launched against your own life. A lack of forum participation does NOT, unfortunately, result in zero LE involvement or understanding of its intentions and purposes.
I may not be 100% clear about the finer inner workings and structures of landmark's philosophies, teachings, or intentions, but I am very clear about the damage caused by misapplied psychology and the extremely abusive nature of thought reform. Whatever the details might be, they are all a part of a belief system designed to deceive, ensnare, and hold hostage another human being.
My conviction about landmark now is, 'criticize first, ask questions later'. In no other aspect of my life do I act upon this attitude; ONLY where landmark is concerned, or anything that remotely resembles landmark. I don't believe LE deserves any other treatment than what I give it.
My apologies for being so unreasonable and perhaps wrong, but I cannot ignore or justify the extreme change and damage I have witnessed in the life and personality of just one person totally captured by LE, much less the thousands of others out there that I have read about and will be reading about as long as this cult exists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Cult Speak????
Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: January 05, 2007 09:24AM

I was told by one Landmarkian that I should go so we could "speak the same language."

Man, I could have spotted this RED FLAG in 9th grade, after reading Orwell's 1984: It's DOUBLE-SPEAK. Plain and simple.

Take into account, '1984' was first published in [b:be38a74493]1949[/b:be38a74493]. Truly amazing, isn't it?

Cult Speak????
Date: January 05, 2007 09:40AM

Maggie,
Does this book include descriptions of the "cutting edge" technologies claimed by landmark?

Cult Speak????
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 05, 2007 09:41AM

Europe-girl
"what is your pay-off?"

This one in particular has become quite mainstream. I just read on another forum a woman questioning why she is still so upset over the demise of an abusive relationship. She wants to know what the payoff is to still be wondering, regretting, sad, angry, and not doing well. She must be running some kind of major racket!

Cult Speak????
Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: January 05, 2007 09:43AM

ON2 LF,

Honestly, I don't remember.. I haven't read it for ages. There was a movie made of the book, also, with John Hurt (1980's).

But I recommend anyone interested in cults and culture to read the book. I may just read it again!!

"Cutting Edge" -- mmmhmmm

Cult Speak????
Date: January 05, 2007 09:52AM

It seems as though the jargon utilized by landmark was very strategically selected from real world jargon to confuse the participants into thinking that the jargon is legitimately used, even in the landmarkian context.

Cult Speak????
Date: January 05, 2007 10:03AM

I think I'm going to have to find that book and read it. Sounds like something I should have read years ago.

I was asking about the "cutting edge" technologies because I have questioned my landmarkian friend about why she thinks there is so much 'controversy' surrounding landmark and what they teach, her explanation was that it was largely due the unique "cutting edge" technologies developed by landmark, and that these technologies are misunderstood because they are unknown to those not involved with landmark. Of course, this misunderstanding was another good reason why I should experience a forum for myself.
I knew then she had a huge problem!

Cult Speak????
Posted by: Europe-girl ()
Date: January 05, 2007 03:29PM

Yeah ON2 LF, if it was that easy to dismiss Landmark all together, but no... if someone close to you does it, you stand a fair chance of getting involved. Which reminds me by the way of the fact that there were many people also who only did the Forum and never returned. It's the ones that get really sucked in it for who it is really a problem. I used to feel sorry for the ones that didn't continue: they finally [i:1b92fe423c]had [/i:1b92fe423c]done the Forum and still they didn't 'get' it...

When I was still involved, now and then (during enrollments talks) someone said to me: "oh, this sounds like ... and I've already done that". I was frustrated not being able to get them to see this was so unique. When I first came to realise that not all is so unique, auch! Of course over the years some notions [i:1b92fe423c]have [/i:1b92fe423c]become mainstream. But I don't think anymore that Landmark has started it (I thought this back then, honestly).
There is big thing about connecting Landmark to Scientology, Landmark really does not want to be associated with SOC. Since (as far as I know) it is a church en believes in aliens or something, I thought they were right about that one. Now, having seen the French documentary, and reading postings on the internet for real, I guess a lot has been copied from SOC, or at least some key things. I have to come to terms with that idea now... :shock: (it's a guess by the way 'cos I know little about SOC).

Cult Speak????
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: January 06, 2007 04:13AM

G'day Euro-girl,

There is nothing new or original about Landmark's technologies. Look at Scientology's technologies.

But, more importantly, look at the words and phrases used by these organisations. Anyone with half-a-brain can take abstract words like Integrity or Breakthrough and manipulate their definitions. This is what Landmark/Scientology do in order to control you and distance you from the wider community. I mean, how dare they start rewriting the dictionary...it makes it very difficult to have a conversation with someone with a 'superior' understanding of age-old concepts. I'm not suggesting that words and concepts don't 'evolve' over time. They do, to a point, but Landmark seems to wipe the slate clean, have another toke and then, make it up to suit it's agenda...

Cult Speak????
Date: January 06, 2007 07:41AM

I happen to believe there is a source for answers to life's many problems.
It's called the Word of God or Bible.

And the interesting thing is exposure to God's Word produces an attitude of humility and contentment, not arrogance.

felixcatski:
I agree with what you've mentioned here. It hits the nail right on the head, as far seeking answers goes. If you're a believer in the Bible that is, and I am.
When I attended an LE introduction, it took about 5 minutes to see that God had NO place in what landmark is. I witnessed a rehearsed conviction, deception, confusion, and the encouragement of self-fulfilling greed, wishes and wants. There was everything but sincereity or humility. Couldn't find God or Truth in anything I heard or saw, including in the 'plants' who were also in attendance.
After experiencing landmark through my friends' extreme involvement, it drove me deeper into the Bible and caused me to want to become more grounded in my faith. There isn't much that is 'relative' to me anymore, my views on some issues in life have, instead, become quite absolute.
I have some serious work to do on the "turn the other cheek" and "bless your enemies" parts though...
it ain't easy but it's always a work in progress for me...

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.