Current Page: 2 of 3
Gems of Cult-Speak (especially Landmark-speak)
Posted by: MiniTru ()
Date: August 16, 2006 01:28PM

When your friend is rattling off this language, consider that this is a way that her mind is trying to cope with having been assaulted.

I guess, Joe, the thing is that (it feels to me like) [i:8cf8c10e2b]my[/i:8cf8c10e2b] mind is being assaulted by (1) her self-righteousness {which predates her Landmark involvement, by the way} & (2) the good hard rogering that the English language is getting as she regurgitates this verbicidal bilge.

I am, however, very concerned at the notion of Landmark for children - do they use the same brainwashing techniques (no going to the toilet, no snacks, being trapped in a room & subjected to hypocritical New Age hell-fire & brimstone verbal assaults)? If so, that's a huge concern.

The friends I've watched get sucked in don't go in with a latent desire to become estholes. They go in with a latent desire to be relieved of their desperate self-doubt - at any cost, including being turned into self-satisfied estholes.
The result is the same, but to me the root cause makes it a little less humorous.

I know what desperate self-doubt feels like but that doesn't mean I'm not going to laugh at things that I find ridiculous in the world (which even includes, at times, my own desperate self-doubt). I don't have ambitions of 'rescuing' this person from Landmark (she's a grown woman), and I can even admit that her involvement in it has made her change some things in her life for the better (according to my judgement, anyway), so really what I'm trying to do with this topic-posting is to help myself (& others in similar situations) in coping with (1) these verbal assaults (e.g. "oh that's just your story, you should get over it" - and probably I have taken stuff like that too much to heart & that is definitely something I want to stop doing - as well as not 'sharing' stuff with her that's likely to elicit that type of crap - but it is still not something I think a friend should say to another friend - it's just so fricking rude, self-righteous & ignorant. And it seems to me, from what I've read here & elsewhere, that that's a fairly characteristic Landmark way of behaving), and (2) her assaults on the English language (about which I'm passionate).

Do we refrain from laughing at, for example, George Bush's language-mangling just because of the murder & mayhem that he's perpetuating in the world at large? Laughter is one of the best coping mechanisms that exists (as well as being a great weapon) & no way should people feel they aren't allowed to have a good laugh at absurdities & foolishness. That doesn't mean that we can't [i:8cf8c10e2b]also[/i:8cf8c10e2b] look at them seriously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 16, 2006 09:16PM

Molbro4k
What I love most about it is the way that it can be used to discount ANY views, thoughts, or concepts which go against their beliefs:

[i:6621f1a0d9]"Don't worry, that's not him talking, that's just his programs!" [/i:6621f1a0d9]

If you don't want to do what they want, your "resistance program" is going.
If they don't want to do what you want, they're making a conscious decision to do what's right for them, and if you don't think so, that's just "your thing".
I'm actually a little envious at how well it works for them.

I know!! It's *exactly* like "doublethink" in [u:6621f1a0d9]Nineteen Eighty-four[/u:6621f1a0d9]:

The first and simplest stage in the discipline, which can be taught even to young children, is called, in Newspeak, crimestop. Crimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity. But stupidity is not enough. On the contrary, orthodoxy in the full sense demands a control over one's own mental processes as complete as that of a contortionist over his body. Oceanic society rests ultimately on the belief that Big Brother is omnipotent and that the Party is infallible. But since in reality Big Brother is not omnipotent and the party is not infallible, there is need for an unwearying, moment-to-moment flexibility in the treatment of facts. The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.
(from part 2, chapter 9; got this at online-literature.com)

Date: August 16, 2006 10:43PM

from Nineteen Eighty-Four, Appendix: The Principles of Newspeak

The intention was to make speech, and especially speech on any subject not ideologically neutral, as nearly as possible independent of consciousness. For the purposes of everyday life it was no doubt necessary, or sometimes necessary, to reflect before speaking, but a Party member called upon to make a political or ethical judgement should be able to spray forth the correct opinions as automatically as a machine gun spraying forth bullets. His training fitted him to do this, the language gave him an almost foolproof instrument, and the texture of the words, with their harsh sound and a certain wilful ugliness which was in accord with the spirit of Ingsoc, assisted the process still further.

(got this at [www.netcharles.com])[/quote]

Posted by: elena ()
Date: August 16, 2006 11:54PM

nutrino

Ummmm.... my sentiments exactly as I watched the Wolrd Trade Centers implode before my eyes.... gosh darn, I said to myself, whoever was responsible for this is perfect just the way he is, and no circumstance requires a negative conversation !!!... I felt so much better I want out and ordered a great big pizza with the works ! It was a win for me it was !

You'd have thought that the buildings coming down would have given more Landmarkers pause. They did have offices in one of them, after all. And pondering on the situation from the Landmark "perspective" must have had more of them puzzling over the "no victims" thing or "why are all these people making themselves victims," or something.

But nooooo....they set up shop immediately, (like their spiritual cousins, the scientologists), all the better to harvest those saddened, angered, and confused into Landmark programs and also the reinforce their wandering strays that Landmark still had the answers to such troubling events.

Are these none too subtle thinkers capable of explaining what they mean by "be great " ? How does one "be great" ? More of their non-specific, unreferenced, overgeneralized doofus admonitions.... like, everyone is supposed to carry around in their minds a "behavioral greatness generating program" that only needs to be linguistically activated when an [b:ba1dc38bff] enlightened being [/b:ba1dc38bff] (they're the ones taking your money to share these kibbles of wisdom with you) sidles up and shares, " hey there, unevolved mass of protoplasm, be great" !!! ... and this is like, supposed to trigger some form of instantaneous manifestation of greatitude ?

Harks back to Glenn Turner, the hare-lipped super-pyramid-salesman, and his "Dare to Be Great" program. (Before your time, perhaps.) Looks like Landmarkers have exhausted the Co$ and Mind Dynamics material and have had to dig farther back for inspiration. Have you see the flying pigs?

Ellen

Date: August 17, 2006 12:41AM

MiniTru

[u:f9820598a3]Nineteen Eighty-four[/u:f9820598a3]:

...The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary...

This is so reminiscent of the ~real/unreal~ thing at Landmark, in which an exterior or objective reality is "flipped," (after endless, complex theorizing and tedious lecturing and many hours without food or water in uncomfortable chairs), with one's interior, subjective reality as part of the program to destabilize and confuse (or render insane) into a self-referential and self-involved debasement supposedly mimicking ~enlightenment.~

Estie wrote about this in a better way than I have.

Ellen

Date: August 17, 2006 01:07AM

Here it is. I don't think she'd mind my bringing it over here:

Date: Thurs, May 4 2006 11:21 pm
Groups: alt.fan.landmark

Found it! It's amazing what's on the web. Reactivation warning.

REALITY--------------------UNREALITY
(objective)-----------------(subjective)
physical--------------------experience
time----------------------emotions
distance------------------opinions
form----------------------attitudes
measurability
agreement *
effect-----------------------cause

*agreement is the substance of measurability - it has a beginning,
middle and end

There was an exercise which demonstrated that everything in the
physical universe was an effect of creation which preceded it.

Then the trainer crossed out "Reality" and wrote "Unreality". He
crossed out "Unreality" and wrote "Reality". i.e., the column on the
left is now "UNREALITY" and the column on the right is now "REALITY"

Experience is the most real thing there is - it's the source of
everything. What most people call reality is based solely on
agreement. If enough people agree the world is flat, then it's flat.

This is a secret. Don't tell anyone or they'll think you're crazy.
You have to use code words and call the physical world "reality" and
call your experience "unreal."

Each one is the sole creator of their experience.

Self created the world and then forgot that Self had created it.
-----------------------

Discuss. Don't take it out on me. I didn't make it up, I just posted
what was in the training.

Estie

...And then this, of course:

Reports of Psychosis After Erhard Course, Jane Brody, The New York
Times, April 24, 1977

Doctors Tell of 7 Who Developed Severe Disturbance After Taking
Self-Awareness Seminars

...As one of the authors, Dr. Leonard L. Glass, said in an interview, "We
don't know if more people become psychotic after est than after riding
on the F train." In a psychotic state, people become detached from
reality and cannot distinguish real from unreal.

Date: August 17, 2006 08:20AM

elena
Have you see the flying pigs?

Oh god! The flying pigs are on the wall above the phone where I live (for not much longer, thankfully)! The shpeil on this piece of advertising material goes "This is a place where the impossible becomes possible...
Living powerfully: a life that defies the predictable"
and this is for a Landmark "Graduate Event" - I love the implication that Landmark is a legitimate & venerable "educational establishment". ("Re-educational" maybe, in the "camp" sense.)

It reminds me of the theme song to the 'Let's Pretend' recorded stories for children that we had in the 70s (in the USA) - does anyone remember those? I forget the beginning of the lyrics but the end went: "... you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wonder why, until the very end. The joys of story-telling to all we do extend. So give a cheer & look what's here: another Let's Pretend!" I.e., Let's pretend that Landmark is something other than expensive, voluntary New Age brainwashing & fanatical group uber-solipsism.

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: August 17, 2006 10:13AM

[b:aa23bdaa97] "Self created the world and then forgot that Self had created it". [/b:aa23bdaa97]

No wonder the poor kid in the video looked like he'd swallowed a pissed off electric eel... have you ever heard such narcissistic arrogant pompous pseudo-Kantian cockroach crap in your life ?

Posted by: roughrider ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:30AM

ALL OF THE LGATS AND PEOPLE THAT VOLUNTEER THEIR TIME FOR THE COURSES ARE BRAINWASHED. OH YEA BY THE WAY SOME OF THE PEOPLE DO GET PAYED FOR ENROLLEMENTS..........FACT

I CANT EVEN TALK TO ONE FRIEND WITHOUT HIM LIVING THIS WORK, HE MUST BE REALLY SCARED TO LET GO OF THE INFLATED ARTIFICAL FEELING THAT IT CREATES.

SOME WILD GARBAGE

TAKE THE MONEY AND GO ON A VACATION, YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Date: August 22, 2006 04:39PM

elena
Have you see the flying pigs?

Satanism alert! I recently noticed that the pigs' tails form little sixes - and there are [i:3711cd115c][b:3711cd115c]three[/b:3711cd115c][/i:3711cd115c] of them! Holy demonic possession, Batman!

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.