Co-dependency and how it is used to break bonds
Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: July 07, 2006 03:47PM

It seems to me that the idea of co-dependency is one that many LGATs use to break the bonds between recuits (for want of a better word) and their loved ones, especially in the case of husband/wife and boyfriend/girlfriend.

They suggest people are not reaching their full potential and being manipulated by their partners (oh the irony).

Is this the experience that readers of the forum have gone through?

What are some of the more common 'sales pitches' for destroying the connection between people and gaining control over a recruit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: July 07, 2006 09:41PM

Brad69
It seems to me that the idea of co-dependency is one that many LGATs use to break the bonds between recuits (for want of a better word) and their loved ones, especially in the case of husband/wife and boyfriend/girlfriend.

They suggest people are not reaching their full potential and being manipulated by their partners (oh the irony).

Is this the experience that readers of the forum have gone through?

What are some of the more common 'sales pitches' for destroying the connection between people and gaining control over a recruit?

Here are a few sales pitches I can remember. It was constant for months. Not to mention the "getting complete" letters she wrote to me saying how much she loved my kids and all that ... to make me feel miserable.

- I love you so much ...

- It's like riding a bike ... (LOL!)

- You don't trust me ...

- You think what I do is stupid ...

- I just want you to have an extraordinary life ...

- I just want to share with you ...

- You're so righteous ...

- It's much easier to blame someone else than to blame yourself ...

- The price you have to pay (for resisting or being so righteous) is to loose our relationship ...

- The reason we are fighting is NOT because of Landmark ... it's because of the way I talk about Landmark ...

- I will NOT TOLERATE anything negative about Landmark ...

- I will not listen to this ...

- You don't need to do the Landmark Forum ...

- I will never ask you again to do the Landmark Forum ... for 3 months!

- Landmark is not a THING !

- Landmark is the best THING (!) that ever happened to you in your life, you just don't know it yet!

- We tell participants "Remember this is not the truth" ... "You just need to try it on to see if it fits you ..."

- It's AWSOME!

- If it was not for Landmark, I would probably have committed suicide!

- My center manager says that if you don't support me and Landmark, tomorrow it's gonna be something else ...

- (After I suggested we should seek counseling) We could meet with the center manager ...!!!

- I will not be with someone who aggressively opposes it (Landmark).

- (About the telephone call at home ...) This is NOT telemarketing ...

- People volunteer to gain experience for example in telemarketing !

- It's a WIN-WIN situation ...

- You have brainwashed yourself reading all sorts of negative stuff about Landmark ...

At some point, every words coming out of her mouth sounded like a sales pitch. It's endless.

Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: July 07, 2006 10:13PM

Thanks for the input midonov 123.

I haven't been put through any of that kind of thing. That's because my girlfriend - who never has any time to do anything with me any more - has clammed up. Maybe it is the detaching that Carlos Castaneda speaks about because that is what she has been schooled in (mind controlled) and now believes in.

What I am saying is that a so-called guru and his helpers got through to her by saying that she is co-dependent and would never come into her own power with me around - if you want to see my story check out "Some help, advice, support needed".

Now, I am asking, is this why I see so many stories of, for example, Landmarkians walking out of relationship on returning from the courses? Is this is what is going on there and on other LGATs?

I know of a case where that happened with someone who did a course (involving all of Lifton's eight methods of mind control) with this 'guru' - Louis Smit.

She returned home, left her husband and three kids and went off into her brave new world. Three months later she was back, tail between her legs.

Just imagine the damage that caused and how it continues to affect that family.

Posted by: Sirtriz ()
Date: July 10, 2006 12:16AM

It is my thought that the term "codependency" is way overused and misused.

I think certain organizations instill a fear into people of becoming close to another human being in a mutually satisfying intimate way. They blur the lines between what is a healthy intimacy versus what is harmful codependency. Someone who is not particularly able to reason is easily influenced. In their efforts to become a "healthier" human with healthy boundaries, they then put barriers between themselves and others. It seems in order to not be deemed the "sinful" codependent, they try to mold themselves into someone who appears to be "superindependent"...someone who doesn't need another. The irony is that they then spend more time with the organization who instills this attitude. They become codependent with the organization. Consequently what was once a good relationship (with a partner) suffers. I have observed this in 12 Step programs and in those involved in Landmark Education.

Re: Co-dependency and how it is used to break bonds
Posted by: not moses ()
Date: August 19, 2016 11:47AM

Understanding Codependence as "Soft-Core" Cult Dynamics...
...and Cult Dynamics as "Hard-Core" Codependence

An article informed by academic sociology and psychology at...

[pairadocks.blogspot.com]

Re: Co-dependency and how it is used to break bonds
Posted by: not moses ()
Date: August 19, 2016 11:48AM

Understanding Codependence as "Soft-Core" Cult Dynamics...
...and Cult Dynamics as "Hard-Core" Codependence

This is an article informed by academic sociology and psychology at...

[pairadocks.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.